LegacyGT.com

DIY: 2005 Legacy GT Blower Motor

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I took it out last weekend and at the same time, "replaced" the air filter. I put that in quotes since there was no air filter to begin with. doh!

The blower was not in good condition. Perhaps due to missing air filter, it got really gunked up with dirt. I tried cleaning the fans and blow pressurized air into the motor, but, it did not make the noise go away.

So, I ordered a new one online from eBay. $50 shipped. I will post an update when I got it installed. Hopefully it's going to be better.

can you link the one you bought?

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, that was the one. Still working perfectly fine.

thank you. ordered and installed. super easy and no longer sounds like i am driving through a tunnel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started to get the blower noise a couple months ago, so I searched the forums here and find that others are having their fans burn out, so I ordered [ame=http://www.amazon.com/TYC-700202-Toyota-Replacement-Assembly/dp/B0041TJQTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379806337&sr=8-1&keywords=rav+4+blower+motor]this one[/ame] from Amazon for $45.

I take the old one out, and when I get it out, I find that it is full of what seems like some sort of insulation... When I first saw it, I thought that it was just 8+ years of accumulation, but I am not sure about that because it was mostly all the same stuff, and the noise came on in a sudden fashion and never really got worse over the months between when it first appeared and today when I pulled it out. Anyone have any idea about where in the car that could have been sucked out of to end up in the blower?

In any event, when I tried the motor after removing that stuff, it is quiet as the replacement one that I ordered, so I am just going to return the new one.

Blower_pic_1.thumb.jpg.3b3a51c0368798c64595f557961354fe.jpg

Blower_pic_2.thumb.jpg.8953c1b9b46bbb98f24ee04fb0e48feb.jpg

I started to get the blower noise a couple months ago, so I searched the forums here and find that others are having their fans burn out, so I ordered [ame=http://www.amazon.com/TYC-700202-Toyota-Replacement-Assembly/dp/B0041TJQTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379806337&sr=8-1&keywords=rav+4+blower+motor]this one[/ame] from Amazon for $45.

I take the old one out, and when I get it out, I find that it is full of what seems like some sort of insulation... When I first saw it, I thought that it was just 8+ years of accumulation, but I am not sure about that because it was mostly all the same stuff, and the noise came on in a sudden fashion and never really got worse over the months between when it first appeared and today when I pulled it out. Anyone have any idea about where in the car that could have been sucked out of to end up in the blower?

In any event, when I tried the motor after removing that stuff, it is quiet as the replacement one that I ordered, so I am just going to return the new one.

Looks like the cabin filter, was the filter in the tray above the blower?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting thought that it is filter material.

I was not even sure if there was a filter there because I didn't think that the MY05 had a filter. Now that I have done some research, I see that it probably does have a filter and that there might be a retro kit so that it can be changed via a door in the glove box, etc. I recently got an 08 base Outback, so I might see if that one has the door to change it out (that one probably has never had it changed, either.)

That being said, it really does not feel like filter material like the engine air filter or the filter material that goes in my home furnace. It is more the consistency of insulation or what would go in a dense pillow.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
About a week ago I realized my blower wouldn't work, but occasionally it would kick on while driving about once per day. About a month before I noticed a little noise from the fan when on low, so I figured it was going out. I ordered a new replacement fan on Amazon for $60. I installed it from this great walk through. So far it seems to be blowing great, and the old one had some wobble in it when I ran it while holding in my hand which is where the noise was coming from. I'm not sure why it would randomly not turn on. I suspected it might be a relay that needed replacing, but so far it seems good.

After installing the new motor assembly, and driving it for a few days, I have not had any more issues with the blower motor randomly not working. Thank you very much for the walk-through and contributors to the thread.

• 2 months later...

Ok...my wife just called while driving to work and said there is a loud sound coming from what sounds like the glove box that sounds like a hair dryer...doesn't change when accelerating, in neutral, etc. She said acceleration felt normal. I didn't think to ask her to turn off the heat.

My thought was that something was wrong with the turbo, but after reading this thread I am hoping it is just the blower motor. I won't be able to check the car out until tomorrow morning when she gets home, but I will sleep easier thinking it's not the turbo...

EDIT: Checked this morning....it's the heater blower. Looks like I will be ordering one up!

Ok...my wife just called while driving to work and said there is a loud sound coming from what sounds like the glove box that sounds like a hair dryer...doesn't change when accelerating, in neutral, etc. She said acceleration felt normal. I didn't think to ask her to turn off the heat.

My thought was that something was wrong with the turbo, but after reading this thread I am hoping it is just the blower motor. I won't be able to check the car out until tomorrow morning when she gets home, but I will sleep easier thinking it's not the turbo...

EDIT: Checked this morning....it's the heater blower. Looks like I will be ordering one up!

Awesome to hear its not the turbo :)

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to all who posted on this thread for saving me hundreds of dollars!

My HVAC fan started making a loud noise, then just went dead and locked-up. I followed this thread to replace it, but the new fan didn't work. Turned out a fuse had also blown. So here is my add to the walkthrough...

1. Before removing anything, check the fuses. There is a fuse box in the engine compartment with a tool for pulling fuses & spares. Look in your owners manual for more details. I checked fuses 2,3&4 (but I think these are for the radiator cooling fan.

2. There is a second set of fuses in the drivers side dash. Check fuses 27&28. My 27 was blown - if I had checked this first, would have saved myself several hours and phone calls... I also checked fuse 1 (cargo fan), 22&31 (A/C).

3. Replace any blown fuses with spares from engine fuse box lid. You will need small hands for dash fuses or be very careful with needlenose pliers.

4. If fan is still not blowing, you can replace that. Follow the original DIY post from maniaxzero. Suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable so you don't trigger the airbag. Get a NEW blower motor fan from ebay for less than $40 shipped (TYC part#700202). It might say its for a RAV-4, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $100 and had to order it - dealer was like $200. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

5. If fan still does not work, try replacing the blower motor resistor. It is located behind the fan and comes out with 2 phillps screws. (remove batter cable). You can order from ebay for $16 (Denso #077800-0780) It may say its for a Honda Odyssey, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $50 and had to order it - dealer was $95. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

6. If fan still is not working, you may need a relay and/or switch. Hopefully not, because I could not find much info on how to replace those parts.

As you can tell, I am not a mechanic, just a guy who doesnt want to spend $600-800 to fix something that most can do for less than $60. I hope these steps can save you $. Any questions, send me an email.

Big thanks to all who posted on this thread for saving me hundreds of dollars!

My HVAC fan started making a loud noise, then just went dead and locked-up. I followed this thread to replace it, but the new fan didn't work. Turned out a fuse had also blown. So here is my add to the walkthrough...

1. Before removing anything, check the fuses. There is a fuse box in the engine compartment with a tool for pulling fuses & spares. Look in your owners manual for more details. I checked fuses 2,3&4 (but I think these are for the radiator cooling fan.

2. There is a second set of fuses in the drivers side dash. Check fuses 27&28. My 27 was blown - if I had checked this first, would have saved myself several hours and phone calls... I also checked fuse 1 (cargo fan), 22&31 (A/C).

3. Replace any blown fuses with spares from engine fuse box lid. You will need small hands for dash fuses or be very careful with needlenose pliers.

4. If fan is still not blowing, you can replace that. Follow the original DIY post from maniaxzero. Suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable so you don't trigger the airbag. Get a NEW blower motor fan from ebay for less than $40 shipped (TYC part#700202). It might say its for a RAV-4, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $100 and had to order it - dealer was like $200. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

5. If fan still does not work, try replacing the blower motor resistor. It is located behind the fan and comes out with 2 phillps screws. (remove batter cable). You can order from ebay for $16 (Denso #077800-0780) It may say its for a Honda Odyssey, but it works on a Legacy. All auto parts stores wanted about $50 and had to order it - dealer was $95. Reconnect battery and hope the fan is working now.

6. If fan still is not working, you may need a relay and/or switch. Hopefully not, because I could not find much info on how to replace those parts.

As you can tell, I am not a mechanic, just a guy who doesnt want to spend $600-800 to fix something that most can do for less than $60. I hope these steps can save you $. Any questions, send me an email.

Ugh, just replaced my fan with the 4runner fan from ebay and it doesn't work at all, just like the old one...

The original fan started making bad noises and then eventually stopped working altogether. I assumed maybe a fuse blew, but I checked the "blower" fuses 27 and 28 and they were both fine. I then assumed the motor just died so I pulled it and dropped in the new one; but it doesn't do anything either. Both fans, when plugged in and held in my hand behave identically--they will twitch a tiny bit as soon as I turn the fan and then do nothing else.

Sounds like maybe the resistor? Any way to test this or should I just order the replacement you mentioned?

Archived