LegacyGT.com

Question about my HIDs

Intake

Hey,

I've installed my HIDs for quite some time. My friend bought a set for his car and I thought I'd try it out as well. He bought a Xentec kit which surprisingly is working better than I thought it would. My question is the color.

I asked for 5000K and the box says 5000K as well. But, in my eyes, the color looks closer to 6000K. The foreground at night has a slight blueish look.

Any thoughts?

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2r7ouir.jpg

sometimes they manufacture the bulbs in one way and label them both as 5000k and 6000k

Wow, didn't know that..

Gonna guess these are 6000k then since they do not like 5000k, but maybe i'm wrong.

I once ordered 5000k and got 4300k. Depends where you order from. The color temperature in each shipment is slightly off. Say if one burns out and you buy another one from the same place, most often time it won't match.

Bulbs burn in, too. The color gets a little warmer over a few dozen or so hours.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Bulbs burn in, too. The color gets a little warmer over a few dozen or so hours.

Yes they do, same with LEDs. But different batch will still have a slight difference in terms of the color temperature.

That's right. There are no manufacturing standards in China about the quality or rating of bulbs. They have random halide content, and that gives each batch it's own unique color.

Germany has much more stringent regulations.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's right. There are no manufacturing standards in China about the quality or rating of bulbs. They have random halide content, and that gives each batch it's own unique color.

Germany has much more stringent regulations.

Yep. I starred at them for a minute and found that the left bulb is a bit whiter than the right. Not really that noticeable, but still noticeable if you stare at it for some time.

Yep. I starred at them for a minute and found that the left bulb is a bit whiter than the right. Not really that noticeable, but still noticeable if you stare at it for some time.

Well, most HIDs are aftermarket. Not quality ones like Philips. That's why when I change bulbs, I changed them in pairs.

Do you have to delete DRL to run HID's in our cars?? If not then how will the different voltages of DRL and night time low beams on the same bulb affect the ballasts and bulbs?

Yes you do if you have 05-07. I heard that some people had some sort of problems, don't remember what it is.

Well I tried doing the 10 minute DRL delete by unplugging the module under the dash and it actually made the HID's flicker with headlights off. Plugged it back in and now they stay off till I turn o the low beams which is nice. Now to make the fogs work manually off the headlights

i have 6k HID's in my car from the previous owner and I wish I had 5k's.

IMO by looking at your pic they appear to be 5k def not 6k

If you don't mind, can you pm me pics of your 6000Ks for refernce if you have any?

They have gotten whiter, but that might just be my eyes getting used to them?

Thanks for helping out!

Having an 08 your DRL is your high beam not your low beam. Shouldnt affect the HID's in your low beam if you have your DRL's connected still.

I disconnected mine anyways though because i don't like the look of them.

Just find the blue/black wire going into the DRL connector on the firewall and either take it out of the connector or cut it and tape it.

And I got 5k and they have a veeeeery slight blue to them. Compared to my buddy's 6k set in his truck they are much whiter though.

Is the kit 35W or 55W? That makes a difference too. A 35W 5000K will look more blue; 55W 5000K is whiter

They are 35W 5000k. There is a slight blue/purple to them when looking at them at certain angles. However, the light on the ground is white with a bit of blue into it.

I live in Staten Island (NYC) and most roads are lit up nicely so 55W seemed pointless to me.

Sounds like 5k. The whitest temp would be 4300k. 5000k is pretty white but typically has a very slight blue which is what it sounds like you have. Especially at 35W. 55W would wash the color out even more and make them whiter.

This chart explains the washout with 55w compared to 35w. I dont think the color ranges are right though. That says 4300k would have a little yellow which I haven't seen.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hid%2035w%20vs.%2055w%20chart/thechoochookid/Internet%20Pics/hid-bulb-color-guide.jpg

Archived