LegacyGT.com

The value of the fourth gen legacy..

Is it me or the value went up on these cars?

I paid just above 15k early last year for my 2009 2.5SE AUTO, with 15k miles. The same car now is about 18k. Hell, I am seeing cars with mileage in the 30-40k region for that price.

what gives?

The used car market is soaring right now, it's not just Subaru that costs more.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Is it me or the value went up on these cars?

I paid just above 15k early last year for my 2009 2.5SE AUTO, with 15k miles. The same car now is about 18k. Hell, I am seeing cars with mileage in the 30-40k region for that price.

what gives?

Funny you mention that. A few days ago on a lark I was searching for used Subarus, using the same criteria from when I bought the OBXT almost 2 years ago. The listings are all 2-3k higher now then they were then.

And if you have a LGT wagon with a 5 Speed.... then there worth even more

I wonder what mine is worth ? new starter, new left front wheel bearing, left front axle is 1 year old, tranny just rebuilt, 40,000 mile rear diff, new O2 sensors, new vf52, new conti's DWS, 4 Blazzacks on OEM wheels, STS, Spec 2+ clutch, and LWFW, IPRtmic, 280whp/300ftlbs.

Just did this,

http://www.kbb.com/subaru/legacy/2005-subaru-legacy/25-gt-wagon-4d/?vehicleid=1600&intent=trade-in-sell&options=61623|true&mileage=144000&category=wagon&pricetype=private-party&quizconditions=1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0&isnotabs=true&creativeid=443

Don't bother trying to give me that little for it. Oh, it's not for sale BTW.

I must have missed something...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 08' LGT w 70k miles is worth 19k according to kbb.

Not bad considering I had it since 9/2007 and paid 24k or 25k for it new. Too bad I like this car, I dont think I can get rid of it. If this was any of my previous cars, it would be out the door by now for that loss of value.

Used car prices are going up even at the auction, almost going for retail prices. I know here in Missouri, it seams dealers are having a hard time selling new cars. I'm seeing more used car on the lots than I am seeing brand new cars. Also people are paying outrageous prices, because they're shipping cars overseas and charging a premium for them. I have my dealers license for something to do on the side and it's upsetting every time I go to the auction.

I paid 12k for my 2007 limited in October, turned around and traded it back for 11,7k in July. That's after I had negotiated on my 2009 limited. That way they couldn't hide the fees. Right now my 2009 is showing $500 more than what I paid 3 months ago.

lol this is the absolute best time for people to sell their used cars, but not so much for the buyers. For people looking to buy cars, either finance a new car or drive an existing beater. Not worth it to buy used unless you find a seller not checking the market value on their car.

My car was booked at $16,000 when I bought it. 2.5 years and 14k miles later, it's booked at $15920. It went down a whopping $80. LOL

if resale values are really going up on used cars, my wife has an 05 lgt wagon that is bone stock! only aftermarket is an greddy turbo timer! not trying to violate any forum rules so if this post is wrong, then please let me know! she would like to get $15,000 obo for it. it has about 120k miles right now. thanks!:lol:

lol this is the absolute best time for people to sell their used cars, but not so much for the buyers. For people looking to buy cars, either finance a new car or drive an existing beater. Not worth it to buy used unless you find a seller not checking the market value on their car.

My car was booked at $16,000 when I bought it. 2.5 years and 14k miles later, it's booked at $15920. It went down a whopping $80. LOL

Explain to me how September or October is the best time to sell a used car given these factors:

-New MY 2012 cars are hitting the lots -> makes your used car 1 year older

-Manufacturers are increasing incentives and rebates on MY2011

September and October is the WORST time to sell a used car.

It's simple logic. Why buy a used car when a new car is not that much more expensive? Many manufacturers also offer 0% financing with new models so the question also becomes?

Why would I pay $1xxxx cash up front when I only have to put down $xxxx (1st month payment) and drive away?

KBB is also overpriced. In most cases a 1 year old used car has the same valuation as what I could buy the same brand new car on USAA without haggling.

Explain to me how September or October is the best time to sell a used car given these factors:

-New MY 2012 cars are hitting the lots -> makes your used car 1 year older

-Manufacturers are increasing incentives and rebates on MY2011

His comment on this being the best time to sell your used car is based on the book values going up recently. It has been going up despite the valid points you have brought up about new car release affect used car pricing.

Last night it also hit me about used car pricing. In early 2009, used cars value dropped like a rock over a 6 month period when nobody was buying anything. The released book values couldn't even keep up with devaluations. What we might be seeing in comparing the last 2 years of value increases is a little recovery of what 'normal' values should have been.

The Buffalo News did a big story about the used car market. When the recession hit, auto makers started making less and less cars for roughly a two year period. With less money avail to buy or finance a new car, the demand for used cars went up at the same time that 08 and 09 models supply's had dropped. Simple supply and demand economics. They also tied gas prices into it. They showed how the price of a used Prius has went up and down with gas prices. That may explain why the NA Leggy went up considerably. I know when I bought my Legacy it was an extremely hard market to buy. I previously had an 06 altima that I bought for 8.5k. A year and a half later i couldn't find the same car for less than 10k at roughly the same mileage. After the car was totaled I got over 10k which was almost 2k more, a year and a half later, and 20k miles later. Thankyou used auto market for giving me the extra cash to buy a SUBIE!!!!

if resale values are really going up on used cars, my wife has an 05 lgt wagon that is bone stock! only aftermarket is an greddy turbo timer! not trying to violate any forum rules so if this post is wrong, then please let me know! she would like to get $15,000 obo for it. it has about 120k miles right now. thanks!:lol:

That's about the same as mine - I'll be interested to hear what it's worth

Archived