LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Transmission FAQ - Maintenance - Differentials - 5MT - 6MT - 4EAT

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He already did. His transmission just seems to be weak as it is now

Honestly, I wouldn't drop money on a performance transmission unless everything else on your car is going to be close to equal to it. Just pick up a used 4EAT for now. That's the best option.

i was just talking about beefed up clutch plate, or better springs or something. id never drop 3500 on a tranny on this thing. although WRX, Impreza, Legacy with 5 Speed- $2800 isnt too bad

by a used 4eat you mean one w/o 200k miles? or when mine blows possibly a M A N U A L . . .

Edited by purebluedoor

by a used 4eat you mean one w/o 200k miles? or when mine blows possibly a M A N U A L . . .

Yes, one with the lowest amount of mileage you can find. And honestly, the best way to swap a 5MT in is to buy a cheap Legacy with one already in it and swap for it.

• 2 months later...
My 5spd is slowly dyeing and from what I've read i can swao in a WRX which has a slightly taller 5th (which i want for better MPG) what about rear diff whats our options for a 1998 2.5GT

It's easily searchable all over this forum, others, and google.

The 96 to 99 Legacy GT/OB 4EAT's all have a final drive differential ratio of 4.44:1

The 95 to 99 non-GT/OB Legacy's all have a 4.11:1

The 96 to 99 GT/OB 5MT's all have a final drive differential ratio of 4.11:1

The 95 to 99 non-GT/OB Legacy's all have a 3.90:1

The GD WRX 4EAT's all have a final drive ratio of 4.11:1

The GD WRX 5MT's all have a final drive ratio of 3.90:1

And why's your trans dying? WRX transmission go for quite a lot of money to the point it's almost not worth it.

Edited by Kennyfvholla

well, i can tell you right now that the 95 4EAT has a final drive of 4.11, NOT 4.44

^really? I had always thought mine was 3.90...I guess my tranny is tired..it takes for ever to top out. I know they geared these things for efficiency..but Damn.

Sorry, forgot to specify about the non-GT/OB L models.

The 4EAT's have 4.11:1 final drive and the 5MT's have a 3.90:1 final drive ratio.

I edited my previous post.

Edited by Kennyfvholla

Clutch is going and 3rd, i would probably end up pulling it at a junkyard so price isn't really a issue its more of a availability because parts like that go quick Edited by Max626

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Are there any special procedures to check the fluid level in a 4EAT or do I just read the dipstick level

thats really all there is to it if youve not figured it out yet.. I believe there is a line for the trans at a cold temp and one for when its hot

• 1 month later...

So what your telling me here . Is that the 5MT transmissions in the 01-03 wrx are the same as the ones in a 97 legacy gt.. including the clutch style.. mean push to pull.. trying to do some research... any answers would be appreciated. . And also why is it when people do the wrx swap they swap the tranny also.. is it becasue they dont have the proper components (clutch forks) or is it that the wrx transmissions are better.. becuase I would prefer to keep my longer gear for cruising. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk