LegacyGT.com

Mysterious vibrating upon braking

bkarlkrause

I have an 05 leggy 2.5i 4auto. Virtually since I bought the car 2 1/2 yrs ago there has been an annoying problem with my braking. Frequently, though not all the time, I experience a vibration through my steering wheel when I apply the brakes. At times it can be really strong to where the wheel shudders and vibrates, other times it's less intense though still very noticeable, and then there's times when it doesn't vibrate at all. I can't seem to find any sort of general pattern or reason for it like air temp, rain, whether brakes are hot or not, etc. I haven't been able to find any other threads on this topic. Any ideas? I've been suggested that my rotors may be warped but that doesn't explain why it's so intermittent and why it's so much more intense at some times than others. Maybe ABS? Ideas?

I'd put money on warped rotors. Have them turned at the dealership if they still have life left in them, but if they are on their way out, replace them.

That, or wheel bearings.

Or your wheel itself. Get them re-balanced.

Took it to the dealership, guy figures it's probably not the rotors because the vibrating doesn't occur all the time. If it was the wheel itself, I'd suspect that I'd feel vibration regardless of if I was braking or not. Either way, I figure I'll have it looked at by a mechanic here in the near future. Thanks for the ideas.

Our GT's have the same issue. It's been talked about a lot.

It's caused by the build up of pad dust in the rotors. The first fix is to buy good brake pads. Mike at AZPinstalls.com sold me some Hawk HPS pads for my 09 SpecB. I had the rotor's truned at my buddies machine shop. He cut's the rotors on the same machine he re-surfaces flywheels on. It gives the rotor a much better surface.

I had him do the same for my 05 GT wagons rotor's even with the Bendix ceramic pads I don't have near the brake shimmy I had before. I'm having a hard time justifing buying the Hawk pads for my 05.

One quick fix for a while is to re-bed the brakes. Do 4-5 almost stops from 55mph to 5mph, stand on the pedal, but don't lock them up, then drive for 1 mile with out stopping or touching the brakes.

After you find that that works for a while, you'll get tired of doing that and buy good pads.

Contack Mike at AZP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

We've seen similar issues on a bunch of different models. On my personal car I would get the same warped rotor feeling that was inconsistent and I went nuts going over the whole system since I couldnt replicate it easily. Replace, or turn the rotors and all of a sudden no issue. We can get HPS pads and centric rotors easily to you. It comes to out about 190 for the fronts to your door on a quick guestimate.

PM us if you need anything!

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Have the same issue and what puzzled me was how I got no noise from the low pad indicators. I use Stop-Tech pads until I can put a better brake system in. I'm going to have to see if the rotors can take a cut. At almost 60k I know they're going to tell me I need new ones. We'll see. Thanks to the OP and all contributers for this thread - just what I was looking for.

Re bed the brakes. Sometimes my Stoptech pads seem to get deposits on my rotors and I just have to brake hard a couple times and I'm good to go n

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

After close to 2000 miles on my rotors that were cut on a flywheel cutter, not a brake lathe even with the same old Bendix ceramic pads I have a very slight shimmy sometimes when I hit the brakes. I do find that with the recent rains the problem is much less noticable.

One of these day's I really should go to the Hawk HPS pads on this car, with the new turbo and tune the car is much quicker on the highway when I put my foot in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Legacies are quirky cars and that seems to be at best. I'm just glad that the motors and auto transmissions are (allegedly) bulletproof cuz it's little annoyances like the brake shimmy that seem to build up after a while.

Archived