LegacyGT.com

end of an era

I feel like I have to come here and say goodbye.

I am trading in my 2005 GT stage 2 5AT w/ Ion spring + Koni, whiteline RSB, kartboy endlinks, HID lights, Aux input

This forum has been good to me. The depth of knowledge here is just amazing. It has taught me much about cars, force induction, modding (maybe too much), suspension, brakes and more.

I am happy to report that our cars are fantastic machines. I test drove an 2008 BMW 335 and felt that our car performs every bit as good.

I am sad to see my leggy go and it will go to some lucky owner out there

335 did not impress me, so I ended up with a M3. Power was great but coming from the stage 2 LGT the biggest difference was the chassis. Handles much better and less harsh. It is completely flat go through curves. Grip is just simply endless.

Congrats! I hope to drive the Leggy until I can go for a 335 next. The 335 is one of my favorite vehicles on the road. Throw on a simple exhaust and tune and you'll see around 430hp/torque. Every time I drive my friend's it makes me wish I just bought the BMW from the start, but I wanted AWD and xDrive is not the greatest system, and buying an AWD BMW is just blasphemy. The chassis on the 3-series is mind-blowing. I can't get over how planted and responsive it is. The Legacy feels like a fat pig after driving the 3-series -- which is unfortunate. Somehow the BMW manages to have better motion control, corner flatter, respond quicker and still ride better; but hey, that's what the Germans do best.

Those who think the RWD is a bad choice for the snow may be surprised. One of my friend's got around just fine in his M3 in the winter. He threw on a pair of winter tires and was all set. Our RWD 535 also never had an issue in the winter. The real issue for any 2wd vehicle is getting started -- you may need to do more digging -- but once you're going you're all set as long as you have the right rubber on.

should of bought the 135 imo. twin turbooo =)

The 135 uses the N55 engine as well, which is a single turbo using twin-scroll technology. BMW dropped the N54 twin turbo engine for the N55 engine. The 1-series M, however, uses the N54 twin-turbo engine, but remember, only 1,000 are being built. My friend who owns a 3-series jokes around by saying Hans and Franz needed a way to use up leftover parts, so the 1-series M was born -- as sort of a mutt using parts from several vehicles.

Thanks for all the comments. Don't get me wrong. I really like my subaru. It has been 6 great years. I do worry about winter driving. I pondered over keeping the subie for winter. My wife was dead set against having more cars than driver in the house.

I am aware that 335 or 135 is have great potential for modds in terms of power. In fact, with relatively few modds the 335 will out power the M3 easily. Force induction is intoxicating. While I enjoy modding very much I want to experience what the M division can do. I found the 3 series smaller than the LGT. The A pillar on the left is very in your face. 135 would just be too small.

This is my first BMW. I purchased a used 2008 M3. Even in Canada you can find a good one for less than 50K if you take you time. My 2005 subie (bought new) with tax + all the money I have spent on the mod is not less than 50K.

At the M3 forums, many are freaking out about losing NA engine. The next generation of M3 will almost certainly twin if not tri turbo. Audi/Merc/volvo have all been increasing their use of Turbo

My girlfriend absolutely hates the maintenance required on her 2003 335, and she only has like 60k miles. So best of luck to all you BMW owners, hope yours don't turn into a headache like hers is.

There was no 335 in 2003 -- there was a 325, which is a whole different car than a 335. The 325 was the small engine 3, while the 330 was the bigger engine.

325: 184 hp/175tq

335: 300hp/300tq; turbocharged

What type of abnormal maintenance has it required?

we shouldnt be here to make the guy feel bad. he put his time and money where he wanted.

maybe when/if subaru finally makes a stock legacy with over 300hp will we get some previous subaru owners back. i find it hard to justify producing their "flagship" model without the same power output of other comparably prices cars.

There was no 335 in 2003 -- there was a 325, which is a whole different car than a 335. The 325 was the small engine 3, while the 330 was the bigger engine.

325: 184 hp/175tq

335: 300hp/300tq; turbocharged

What type of abnormal maintenance has it required?

You're right, my mistake, it's a 330xi.

Leaking transmission fluid, broken spring, and she's getting what sounds like a wheel bearing that needs replacing (loud clicks when turning). Maybe that stuff is relatively normal to BMW, I'm not sure, but it seems like a money pit to me.

I'm with Sicotic on this; I like BMW and respect their cars, but I wouldn't get one.

After 40,000 miles, the warranty on the BMW expires. Thats when repair is gonna cost a lot. Which is what keeping me away from getting a BMW.

And not to mention the $250 oil change in it. You can probably change the oil yourself but the newer BMW requires a computer to run some diagnostics in order for the service. The only good thing about the BMW regular service that it is done every 8,000 miles. Which is relatively longer than most cars out there in the market.

very nice cars, i like m3's but man for the price theres something better. Everyone has there own taste, me for that range i would go supra.

A Supra?

But you'd be buying a car more than a decade old at BEST, and with mid-to-high mileage. Coming with that, are all sorts of maintenance requirements.

Good choice on the M3. They are awfully fun cars. Don't worry about maintenance or reliability. Those types of things work themselves out. You wouldn't have bought the car, if you couldn't afford to maintain and repair it when necessary.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I feel bad if the OP is reading this, his Subaru brethren are essentially $hitting on his decision to buy a different vehicle. I know we're 99.999% Subaru Legacy on this site, but we should respect other people's decisions to buy different vehicles. It sounds like he can afford one, and I doubt he went into it without doing his research first -- so he's probably making a solid decision.

I know everyone claims to know someone who has had problems with BMW, but there are many people who don't. It's actually a bit strange how many of my friends drive BMWs, and very few of them have ever had any major problem, reoccurring issue or abnormal breakdown/maintenance issues. My one friend bought a brand new 2010 M3 with the DCT auto, but the tranny kept stalling on him from take-off. BMW willingly bought the car back and put him into a brand new manual M3 of his configuration choice for free. My godfather had a hiccup with one of his older X5s, and BMW did the same thing, they bought it back and even added a few additional features to his replacement vehicle. A different friend of mine just bought another 3-series, only to find out BMW changed the shock valving on the sport package, which softened the shocks a bit because of customer complaints that sport package vehicles rode too stiffly (which I think is just dumb. Why would you buy a sport package that includes stiffer suspension, then complain about the ride?) As someone who does some track days and drives his cars hard he was displeased. He's buying a set of Dinan Koni shocks and BMW offered to pay all of his labor charges for the installation.

On a side note, if you buy a new BMW you have free EVERYTHING for four years. My friends who just purchased new BMWs get every little thing for free on them -- this includes wiper blades, brakes, all maintenance, etc. Call me the Euro Fanboy, the Germanophile, etc, but I happen to love these cars. I'm not trying to put the Subaru out, the Subaru is a great car for what it is. It's an affordable, fairly quick and reliable AWD sedan; but I can't call it a sport sedan (like I can the BMW) and it's far from deserving its GT title because of the awful suspension and body control. There's your price difference, though. Brand new my SpecB cost me about 33K, but a brand new 3-series equipped for me is about 45K -- that's 12k I didn't have when I bought the Subaru, not to mention I wanted AWD, something I would never, ever get on a BMW. There's a reason BMW remains the #1 selling luxury automobile in the world.

At the M3 forums, many are freaking out about losing NA engine. The next generation of M3 will almost certainly twin if not tri turbo. Audi/Merc/volvo have all been increasing their use of Turbo

Remember, the M3 is legendary for its ultra high-revving engine. You own a V8 that screams to 8,000 RPM and sound damn good doing it. Going turbocharged means potentially losing this cherished M3 characteristic. But hey, that's what the times are calling for -- smaller engines utilizing forced induction to return better fuel economy. AMG's new twin-blown 5.5L V8 puts out some seriously impressive numbers. Torque is up to 590 lb-ft at 1,700 RPM. I also got to drive BMW's new twin-turbo V8 in my godfather's car and boy is that one sweet engine! I'd trade the burly, large-displacement engine note if it means serious low-end grunt, and that's what these new engines deliver. People used to criticize of Audi for using a 4-cylinder turbo in the luxury market, but now BMW and Benz are doing it. Look at BMW's new N20 4-cylinder engine and compare it to the old straight-6 it replaces . It's like we're back in the OPEC days, but now we have the technology to make big power and still achieve good fuel economy.

wheel alignment

uncle's camry $45

my accord $60

my subie $70

friend bmw's 335xi .... $300

Did you each take your cars to the dealership? It would be pretty dumb to go to BMW for your alignment if you don't have the free maintenance. There is nothing special about doing a BMW alignment. If you took all three vehicles to the same shop it should have cost the same. I don't know a single person who has paid $300 for their BMW alignment.

Archived