LegacyGT.com

LGT 300 WHP Build

It's been a lil since I've been on this thread but I was wondering are there any benefits to using the 3port on a stock turbo? And as far as clutch upgrade what would be the closest to stock longest lasting option?

I have over 70,000 miles on my Spec 2+ clutch and LWFW, it still grabs like new.

I'm making 280whp/300ftlbs with a vf52, catless up/dp stock exhaust, IPR tmic and smaller boost pill running 21psi, Perrin panel filter. Car turned 145,000 miles today.

http://www.tuningalliance.com is my Tuner, contact him. You can tell him I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

16102aa013

But it go for around $150-$200 at the dealer. Not worth it, IMO.

Interesting, thank you. Seems to for an early STi (v1 & v2). I had no idea they were thus-equipped.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So best clutch setup would be lwfw with stage 1 or 2 clutch? what setup would give me the most bang for my buck?

I'm pretty happy with my Spec 2+ over 70,000 miles and still grabs great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

also wouldn't meth injection be a bit overkill on a dd?

If you are using a VF-52 or 16G type turbo and only shooting for 300whp, yes. I guess if you were trying to wring that out of the VF-40 you'd need all the help you can get. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'd stay away from a LWFW (due to drivetrain lash noise and potential for CELs) and go with an06+ WRX SMFW and something like an ACT or Exedy HD street clutch. You'll sacrifice smooth engagement and gain some noise and likely chatter, but you'll not be worrying about whether the stock DMFW setup will hold the power.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I agree to stay away from a lightweight flywheel, for some reason they cause a fair amount of chatter in the LGT. I had them in other cars and they didn't, but my car takes a lot of finesse to drive with one. Overall I don't see a lot of benefit from LWFW, they are less rotating mass when the clutch is in and it revs somewhat faster, but out the wheels and driveshaft are your rotating mass.

I run ACT HDSS clutch and its been great. Im at over 400whp too. Flywheel is pretty much a no no unless you rebuild the motor because if it doesnt sync in perfect balance with the motor it will be off and thats the chatter people refer to. not good.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

Overall I don't see a lot of benefit from LWFW, they are less rotating mass when the clutch is in and it revs somewhat faster, but out the wheels and driveshaft are your rotating mass.

You are neglecting the speed at which those things are rotating. ;)

OK I have had my Spec LWFW in for over 70,000 miles never had a CEL from it.

The car does lose some low rpm torque so you can't drive at 40mph in 5th gear.

As for clutch chatter, I think that is more from the high perforamce clutch then the FW.

I can side step my clutch in neutral and the chatter stops. It does come back unless I drive the car like the clutch was meant to be driven.

If I baby the car it will chatter ever now and then.

But I'm still impressed with how much grab this Spec 2+ still has.

CELs come from a LWFW that is too light, most of the LWFW's don't fall in to that category, hence most of us not getting that.

By clutch chatter I'm talking as you engage the clutch it not engaging smoothly and the feeling like you are wheel hopping, even at low rpm release. LWFWs make engagement harder to do smoothly and you have to match rpms just right. It can be done, but it takes a lot of finesse.

Archived