LegacyGT.com

Timing belt job...

I am getting ready to order my parts to do my timing belt. I am getting the gates kit from Fredbeans that comes with waterpump, idlers, tensioner, and belt. I am also going to replaced my right side valve cover gasket while I am in there because it has been leaking on my exhaust for a while now. (nothing like smoke rising from your hood scoop first thing in the morning)

My question is about sealing the gaskets for the waterpump, thermostat, and valve cover gasket. Should I be using some sort of silicone or FUJI-BOND with the gaskets? I am pretty sure I don't, but I want to be prepared for the job.

No sealant is needed just install the way they come.

I haven't done VC gaskets. The general rule with them is, if there are any sharp corners, put a small dab of silicone sealant in that area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Might want to get yourself a copy of the vacation pics if you don't already have one:

http://www.bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=210

Glad to see my old turbo is still chugging along for you. :)

Did you notice that at the top of each page in that link it say's 2004 ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Did you notice that at the top of each page in that link it say's 2004 ?

Yeah, looks like that link is hosed up right now. I already have mine downloaded, so I didn't try re-downloading, just assumed they work.

Here's another link which seems to be working.....at least for now.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's also 2008 and 2009 vacation pics there too. ;)

I am getting ready to order my parts to do my timing belt. I am getting the gates kit from Fredbeans that comes with waterpump, idlers, tensioner, and belt. I am also going to replaced my right side valve cover gasket while I am in there because it has been leaking on my exhaust for a while now. (nothing like smoke rising from your hood scoop first thing in the morning)

My question is about sealing the gaskets for the waterpump, thermostat, and valve cover gasket. Should I be using some sort of silicone or FUJI-BOND with the gaskets? I am pretty sure I don't, but I want to be prepared for the job.

Here is our take on them after doing a ton of TB/WPs and this is what we do for our customers when we do a Timing Belt setup.

Gates Timing Belt Kit w/WP

OEM Water Pump Gasket

OEM Thermostat w/OEM Gasket

Also shoot us an e-mail or call and we can probably match any prices you see for the kits online.

-mike

sales@azpinstalls.com

Yeah, looks like that link is hosed up right now. I already have mine downloaded, so I didn't try re-downloading, just assumed they work.

Here's another link which seems to be working.....at least for now.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's also 2008 and 2009 vacation pics there too. ;)

I pm'ed him that link. It's been working for years. Also you may want to be careful posting that. Some of the MOD's or Fourm owners don't like that being put out there.

OP +1 for buying from AZPinstalls, they help out a lot here everyday for free. Support them when you can.

Archived