LegacyGT.com

All Season Tire Recommendations

mark5032, you sure? isn't 225 mm wider than 205mm? The height measurement 55 vs. 60 vs. 70, etc., is the ratio of the height to the width, I thought. That's why the 50 ratio tire is lower and looks wider than the 60 ratio tire ; at 50 ratio- it's 50% of the width & a 60 ratio is 60% of the width and so on....A 225/60/16 is wider than a 205/60/16; a 225/55/16 is wider than a 205/55/16....but in your example between 55 and 60 ration.....uuhhmmm worth taking a measure to be sure. Geometry was not my best subject. If you are correct on the diameter, than yes the tire will fit now problem, without danger of rubbing on wheel wells.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mark5032, you sure? isn't 225 mm wider than 205mm? The height measurement 55 vs. 60 vs. 70, etc., is the ratio of the height to the width, I thought. That's why the 50 ratio tire is lower and looks wider than the 60 ratio tire ; at 50 ratio- it's 50% of the width & a 60 ratio is 60% of the width and so on....A 225/60/16 is wider than a 205/60/16; a 225/55/16 is wider than a 205/55/16....but in your example between 55 and 60 ration.....uuhhmmm worth taking a measure to be sure. Geometry was not my best subject. If you are correct on the diameter, than yes the tire will fit now problem, without danger of rubbing on wheel wells.

Both the 205/60/16 and 225/55/16 sizes are 25.7" in diameter, so the revs per mile and speedometer accuracy will be maintained even with the extra 20mm of cross-sectional width. I believe the 18" GT rims have a 55mm offset, and since they also come with a 225mm cross-section tire from the factory, I wouldn't think there would be an issue with a 225/55/16 tire physically fitting on the car. 16" and 17" Legacy rims have similar offsets, but I am not sure of their exact values. Fuel economy would be likely to suffer from going to a heavier tire with increased tread width and rolling resistance, but this could be mitigated by picking a lightweight tire and/or a tire with low rolling resistance.

Here is an example of the calculation if anyone is interested:

((205/25.4)*0.6*2)+16 = 25.7

((225/25.4)*0.55*2)+16 = 25.7

first number = cross sectional width in millimeters

second number = conversion from millimeters to inches (1"=25.4mm)

third number = "series" tire expressed as a percentage (60=0.6, 55=0.55)

fourth number = multiply by 2 (because there are two sidewalls on each side of the tire)

fifth number = diameter of the rim (16", 17", etc)

final number = diamter of the tire in inches

Or you can just go on tire rack find a tire you like and look at the specs chart. A lot of time the measured width is missing but the diameter is always there. Per several on these boards the speedo reads a bit high, so a SLIGHTLY taller tire is OK. So you could go 235/55/16 if you wanted to, or if it was cheaper.

At local tire stores bigger is ALWAYS more expensive. At the Rack, sometimes one particular size can be cheaper.

For me. 235/50/17 were $15 per tire cheaper than 225/50/17 tires in the Bridgestone RE960. For some reason the 235's are often on major price drop and the other sizes are NOT.

Just bought and mounted 4 Continental Extreme DWS. 215/55/16. I put 55,000+ on the Bridgestone Turanza's. I still had 5/32 tread on the Bridgstones but had a slight vibration issue. Bought the tires thru Tirerack. $590.00 bought, mounted and balanced.

Just bought and mounted 4 Continental Extreme DWS. 215/55/16. I put 55,000+ on the Bridgestone Turanza's. I still had 5/32 tread on the Bridgstones but had a slight vibration issue. Bought the tires thru Tirerack. $590.00 bought, mounted and balanced.

Any vibration/ shimmy issues?

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Hows that working out for ya? I got a sweet deal on some winter tires but they are 215/60/16 vs. 205/60/16 OEM so I'm really hoping there won't be any issues. Trying to find steelies to mount them on so can't test fit them just yet...

Hows that working out for ya? I got a sweet deal on some winter tires but they are 215/60/16 vs. 205/60/16 OEM so I'm really hoping there won't be any issues. Trying to find steelies to mount them on so can't test fit them just yet...

The car has a whole new feel to it. It feels planted. The car used to wander but now it stays put on the road. max tire pressure is 33psi. I put 34 because it's easier to read on my gauge and i feel a difference. I am putting them back to 33, it feels better. No problems with clearence. 215/60/16's will not be a problem.

The only issue i have now is the low tire indicator comes on. The mechanic replaced the stem inside the valve.

FYI, max tire pressure for the DWS in that size is 51PSI.

How's the turn-in response? Does the car feel laggy at all when you turn?

I have not noticed a laggy feeling when turning. feels stable in and out of the corners.I know the sidewalls felt softer. I really don't try to push the car / tires too much. I wouldnt be a good person to ask about sport performance. I bought them because they were rated highly on Tire Rack for the wet and snow weather performance. I have a 40 mile commute to work and live in Ohio.

The ratings in wet and snow are high but the car is AWD so I personally didn't think that as critical as it is in a FWD shi-tbox.

The Pole positions give nearly the summer performance of the factory RE050s and are fine to use on wet/snow (with AWD donating some assistance)

The ratings in wet and snow are high but the car is AWD so I personally didn't think that as critical as it is in a FWD shi-tbox.

The Pole positions give nearly the summer performance of the factory RE050s and are fine to use on wet/snow (with AWD donating some assistance)

FYI, AWD is only useful if you have good tires. If you have crappy tires AWD, 4WD, FWD, RWD won't matter.

-mike

FYI, max tire pressure for the DWS in that size is 51PSI.

How's the turn-in response? Does the car feel laggy at all when you turn?

I can't vouche on a LGT but on my CTS-V I run the DWS in 245-45-18 and they aren't laggy at all on the turn-in. Not as crisp as say my R888s :)

-mike

Not as crisp as say my R888s :)

LOL

FYI, AWD is only useful if you have good tires. If you have crappy tires AWD, 4WD, FWD, RWD won't matter.

yup

I have not noticed a laggy feeling when turning. feels stable in and out of the corners.I know the sidewalls felt softer. I really don't try to push the car / tires too much. I wouldnt be a good person to ask about sport performance. I bought them because they were rated highly on Tire Rack for the wet and snow weather performance. I have a 40 mile commute to work and live in Ohio.

Thanks, I have dedicated snow tires, so I'm mostly concerned with dry and wet traction. I'll be using mostly OEM suspension, so I won't be REALLY pushing the car, but I don't want a sloppy tire either. Main issue I think is with people comparing the DWS to summer tires, when it's an all season.

You are saying the (at the time) top rated, high-performance RE960's are crappy tires?

All I was trying to say is it's not required to seak out the absolute best SNOW bound A/S tires when a well rounded tire will work fine. I realize it's personal preference, but the RE-960's seem more summer oriented, but do just fine in snow/ice. EITHER tire, on an AWD car will be 1000 times more effective than a set of blizzaks on my last car (FWD).

LOL

yup

Thanks, I have dedicated snow tires, so I'm mostly concerned with dry and wet traction. I'll be using mostly OEM suspension, so I won't be REALLY pushing the car, but I don't want a sloppy tire either. Main issue I think is with people comparing the DWS to summer tires, when it's an all season.

With dedicated snows, you should be running a good summer tire then. I just picked up Michelin pilot super sports for my sti and they have great water evacuation and great handling even on track.

Mike

You are saying the (at the time) top rated, high-performance RE960's are crappy tires?

All I was trying to say is it's not required to seak out the absolute best SNOW bound A/S tires when a well rounded tire will work fine. I realize it's personal preference, but the RE-960's seem more summer oriented, but do just fine in snow/ice. EITHER tire, on an AWD car will be 1000 times more effective than a set of blizzaks on my last car (FWD).

I am going to disagree. Snow tires in snow will be better than all compromise tires on an wad car.

The only reason I run all seasons on my V is cause the price was right and it goes away in dec and doesn't come out til march. So I wanted a great 3season tire I could drive into the cold of early dec and cold in early march as well as through the summer.

Mike

With dedicated snows, you should be running a good summer tire then. I just picked up Michelin pilot super sports for my sti and they have great water evacuation and great handling even on track.

Mike

I could, but I'd still prefer to have the temperature range and treadwear of all seasons

• 4 years later...

Bump. Needing recommendation(s) on new all seasons in 245/45r18

I like my nitto Motivos on my 19s but want something different. And no I won't buy DWS I don't care for continental brand. And Yokohama avid envigors I used to have on a previous leggy were like glass I'm any type of colder weather.

Archived