LegacyGT.com

All Season Tire Recommendations

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE960's (I don't know how the new RE970's compare). I can breaak neither the RE050's or the RE960's loose. I drive pretty crazy on city streets and onramps, but honestly, for my driving I cannot tell a summer traction difference between either tire. So for me, it makes more sense just to run the all seasons year round.

If your driving breaks the RE960's free on city streets but not the re050s then you are probably a maniac.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can breaak neither the RE050's or the RE960's loose. I drive pretty crazy on city streets and onramps, but honestly, for my driving I cannot tell a summer traction difference between either tire.

Step up to Stage I/II and you'll get the tires loose at will. :):)

I always ran all seasons on my previous Subies. Have dedicated winters on this LGT. I still have the 07 OB. No comparison - the LGT starts from a stop, corners, and stops much much better than the all seasons. Comparison with the LGT summers over the all seasons may be a little more difficult but the grip and cornering is much better.

Going to go stage 2 when I am sure I'm not selling the car back to Subary. I got the shakes and they cannot fix completely, now blaming pothole damage.

Anyway, Even if I had the power, again city streets are city streets. I drive pretty wild and hang corners like an insane person, but haven't broke the pole positions loose. They are amazing. I have always used AS tires in my other cars but none have ever gripped like these. Previous cars with cheaper tires, YES, break free easy.

We are proponents of Summers and Winters, however if you want all season tires we've had very good luck with (12-15 sets worth) of the Continental DWS on both our customers Subies, our own Subies and my CTS-V. I also enjoyed the Mich Pilot Sport + AS but they are significantly more $.

For summers the Z1 Star Specs or Mich Pilot Super Sports and Winters the Nokian Hakkapolitta Rs are hands down the best.

-mike

We are proponents of Summers and Winters, however if you want all season tires we've had very good luck with (12-15 sets worth) of the Continental DWS on both our customers Subies, our own Subies and my CTS-V. I also enjoyed the Mich Pilot Sport + AS but they are significantly more $.

For summers the Z1 Star Specs or Mich Pilot Super Sports and Winters the Nokian Hakkapolitta Rs are hands down the best.

-mike

I too am a proponent of summer/winters BUT, I just can't afford two sets of tires right now. I figured I could get a year out of all seasons since I put on 12,000 miles since April, then next fall would be able to get winters, then spring get summers.

I am not sure the cheap summer tires are any better in the summer than good all seasons. I am absolutely certain that better summer tires are a step ahead though.

I have heard the DWSs are awesome but with AWD any all season will get you rolling. I wish the DWSs existed when I had my Honda, it was terrible on snow, couldn't get it moving sometime or climbing a hill with a moderate drainage slope was painfull car would end up stuck on the curb cause it would relentlessly drift over while slipping up the hill.

I just bought new wheels (rims) and needed new tires, I HIGHLY recommend Kumho tires but, not their low end line that runs about 70$ a tire. They're ok but grip is mediocre, if you want to glue your ass to the road get the 110$ tire, sure pricey but I'm damn glad I spent the $$.

Can't comment on winter driving as I just put them on last week and, well it doesn't start snowing here until later October\early November.

Edit*

Found them online, I purchased them through my local dealer at 124$ a piece mounted\balanced.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Kumho&tiremodel=Ecsta%20ASX%20%28KU21%29&pc=KU21-7418

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Kumho/kumho_asx_lg.jpg

Exact tire I bought.

I just bought new wheels (rims) and needed new tires, I HIGHLY recommend Kumho tires but, not their low end line that runs about 70$ a tire. They're ok but grip is mediocre, if you want to glue your ass to the road get the 110$ tire, sure pricey but I'm damn glad I spent the $$.

Can't comment on winter driving as I just put them on last week and, well it doesn't start snowing here until later October\early November.

Edit*

Found them online, I purchased them through my local dealer at 124$ a piece mounted\balanced.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Kumho&tiremodel=Ecsta%20ASX%20%28KU21%29&pc=KU21-7418

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Kumho/kumho_asx_lg.jpg

Exact tire I bought.

I've had a couple of different sets of Kumho tires on different cars and all have been good experiences except for when I had ASX's put on my parents TL. They were pretty crappy.

I got a price quote at a local tire shop for Continental Extreme Contact DWS yesterday....$300 per tire! Is that right? No way am I spending $1200 on tires. I'm staying more in the $150 range. If I wanted to spend $1200, I would just do dedicated summers/winters

I got a price quote at a local tire shop for Continental Extreme Contact DWS yesterday....$300 per tire! Is that right? No way am I spending $1200 on tires. I'm staying more in the $150 range. If I wanted to spend $1200, I would just do dedicated summers/winters

Call us up. We are a Tirerack Wholesaler and can get them delivered to our shop. It will be less than $300 for sure! :)

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1(2971)| T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Shop elsewhere,

I got mine 225/40/18 from tirerack for $681 shipped and a flip cam thrown in. This is my first set of Conti EC DWS's and will not be my last. The only change i might make is going with 45 series tires for them next time around. (better pothole protection) Great all around tire and excellent in the rain. 40k treadwear warranty also! (or was it 50K, i don't remember but that's unheard of for a UHP tire)

Our cars will easily run 235 or 245 tires and sometimes at tirerack bigger is actually cheaper. Always shop the rack by perusing the whole price chart

I was thinking about going a little wider. That isn't a problem on the stock LGT rims?

EDIT: Sorry, thinking you had LGT, you have Premium with 17" wheels?

I cannot put my hands on the brochure right now. My winter wheels are 17x7 and they easily handle 235x50x17 tires. Probably bigger. Pretty sure the factory Premium wheel is 17x7. Just look at the SPECS tab on a tire you are interested in at Tirerack, the supported rim width's are there.

EDIT: Sorry, thinking you had LGT, you have Premium with 17" wheels?

I cannot put my hands on the brochure right now. My winter wheels are 17x7 and they easily handle 235x50x17 tires. Probably bigger. Pretty sure the factory Premium wheel is 17x7. Just look at the SPECS tab on a tire you are interested in at Tirerack, the supported rim width's are there.

I have a Premium with 16's but bought the LGT 18" wheels. Those are the wheels I'm putting the all seasons on.

Look for my PM. I talked to my SOA rep for you.

Gotcha. Sorry, reading lots of threads. In that case, the factory 18"s are at least 18x7.5. In terms of wheels, same rule applies, see what the spec range says at tirerack. You will probably find pretty much a pattern of what sizes fit.

Others who have gone more extreme can tell you what you can run. You can absolutely run 235/45/18. I am pretty sure you can go 245. I get fuzzy on sizes larger than that. Of course eventually you need to step down the series to 40 to make up for the increasing diameter.

I would like to get the Continental Extreme Contacts but the do not have 205/60/16.

Would the 205/55/16 fit? Should I go with a 215/55/16. What would give the car a better ride. I still have the Turanza factory tire on (53,000 miles)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived