LegacyGT.com

Thinking about VW R - any happy VW stories out there?

Hello,

I am considering the upcoming VW R to replace my 2005 LGT wagon. WRX is still a possibility but may want something different this time around.

I hear a lot of horror stories here about my friend/relative's VW's electronics problems, they are lemons, etc.

Has anyone actually had, or know of, a good VW experience? Like I owned a VW for 5 years and I just did routine maintenance :-)

TIA.

Ray

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are to buy a VW it may be a good idea to check where it's assembled. It may make a difference. Assembled in Germany or assembled in Mexico makes a difference.

Assembly location makes no difference. My Passat was assembled in Germany and it was very troublesome. The problems have nothing to do with assembly, it is the engineering, parts quality, and dealer service that give VWs problems. I would say that 0 of my cars numerous problems had anything to do with how or who screwed it together.

OP- Go on the internet and research reliability yourself. Consumer Reports and True Delta are a good start. You will only get hearsay and anecdotal examples on a forum like this.

I'd get an STi over an R, personally.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I personally have a Great VW story... it goes something like this:

Owned an '03 Passat for less than a year. Inside of those 10 months it broke down on my Wife and I twice, leaving us to deal with AAA and a rental car. Finally after the 2nd runaround with VW regarding persistent oil sludge issues causing low/no oil pressure and subsequent engine damage, we were able to trade it in for a Hyundai Santa Fe.

NOW we're happy.

Listen to Monkey and do some reading. Not all VW years/models have issues.

I personally have a Great VW story... it goes something like this:

Owned an '03 Passat for less than a year. Inside of those 10 months it broke down on my Wife and I twice, leaving us to deal with AAA and a rental car. Finally after the 2nd runaround with VW regarding persistent oil sludge issues causing low/no oil pressure and subsequent engine damage, we were able to trade it in for a Hyundai Santa Fe.

NOW we're happy.

Listen to Monkey and do some reading. Not all VW years/models have issues. Just almost all of them in the last 20 years.

Fixed. I knew VW's were crap but never knew just how bad until I worked for a dealer. My god, it's horrendous. And what's worse is the dealer I worked for sucked major sack so it made it that much worse. The best VW's are either the late 90's diesels or the 3rd gen Jetta/Golf with the 2 liter. Everything else is crapzors.

Our 01 Passat cost a minimum of $3k/year in repairs.

I don't think I'd say no to a TDI or GTI now, though. Especially if I could find a place that offers an in-paper warranty on mods. A member here, Rick I think, bought a GTI and got a dealer offered powertrain-warranty in writing that covers him to the equivalent of stage-2. Pretty slick deal.

But for the money of an R, I think I'd get an STi instead.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think VW and Audi got a bad rep since some of the cars had electrical issues over the last couple of years. I just purchased a 2012 CC R-line and I am hoping that it will prove to be as reliable as my 07 GT was.

I did some research as suggested on TrueDelta.

The last "special" edition Golf - 2008 R32 - was not that great. Overall, VW is all over the map -- with many more bad model-years than good.

Here's some data for comparison (repairs/100 vehicles/year)

2008 R32 - 71

2010 GTI - 58

2006 Passat - 125

2001 Passat - 129 (match your experience BAC)

2005 Legacy - 59 (not too bad considering 1st yr of new design)

2010 Legacy - 37

2010 WRX - 21

Started up an STI today...was surprised by how much louder it is than the LGT. Not a bad sound - it IS after all a sports car. Maybe I just like the LGT stealth style more.

I'd get an STi over an R, personally.

This. Oh wait, I already did. :icon_wink

Well clearly I'd take an STI over the last R32, but I also mean that I'd take my STI hatch over the upcoming R, which should be a much better car than the last R32. But then I am a fun and performance guy over refinement, I do track my car, I do put the STI's great AWD system to use in snowy mountains, etc. The new R sounds like a nice car for someone who wants a more LGT-like, S4-like, etc car.

One of my biggest beefs with the R is its Haldex AWD. I got to drive a Haldex car pretty hard semi-recently. It felt like FWD with less wheelspin. Nowhere near as fun or satisfying as the LGT's AWD system, let alone the STI's.

Started up an STI today...was surprised by how much louder it is than the LGT. Not a bad sound - it IS after all a sports car. Maybe I just like the LGT stealth style more.

The STI sounds and feels much louder and more raw than any other Subaru. It's partly the lack of sound deadening, partly the noisy (in a good way) 6MT, and partly the firmer suspension. The 2008+ is not as raw as the 2004-2007, but still much more so than the LGT or WRX. I've - very carefully - chosen a mod path that makes my STI sharper, more responsive, and a bit more raw /without/ adding any more noise. It is tricky and does limit me in some ways, and I even had to take one mod off and sell it due to too much NVH.

The upcoming Golf R could be the right hatchback for you. Or a WRX. The WRX's suspension needs work from the factory and the Impreza interior is junk, but its AWD system makes it a much better foundation than the R with Haldex.

I wish VW would give the R fulltime AWD. I'd take it much more seriously then. I still couldn't see giving up my STI for one, but then I don't see myself ever replacing the STI. It's just too fun and practical at the same time. I'm sure me and the lady will own a 2nd car again some day though, one that will complement the STI.

More research, from Consumers Reports this time...

Looks like recent GTIs are one of the more reliable VW products. Overall reliability:

2010 GTI "Average"

2010 Legacy 3.6R "Average"

2010 WRX "Below Average"

When you look at the individual categories, the GTI is very close to the Leggy.

The GTI is actually recommended by CR - I don't think they recommend a car with bad reliability no matter what the other attributes are.

They also have a high ownership satisfaction:

-GTI 81, WRX 75, STI 75, 3.6R Legacy 71

I am less worried about making the jump now, as least it seems a viable choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

with all the VW hate, my 02 jetta TDI is leaps and bounds above the build quality of my 01 legacy. With 20k more miles than the subaru it hasn't left me stranded and leaving me with a car I need to pull the motor and replace headgaskets due to poor design and the subaru refusal to aknowledge they screwed up. The germans are the best machinists and metalurgist in the world, now f they could rival the japanese electronics, I'd be a happy camper.

It's also too bad the jetta is getting heavier less efficient cheapened and looking like a bastard audi camry clone.

I think my next car is gonna be a Mini Countryman.

with all the VW hate, my 02 jetta TDI is leaps and bounds above the build quality of my 01 legacy. With 20k more miles than the subaru it hasn't left me stranded and leaving me with a car I need to pull the motor and replace headgaskets due to poor design and the subaru refusal to aknowledge they screwed up. The germans are the best machinists and metalurgist in the world, now f they could rival the japanese electronics, I'd be a happy camper.

It's also too bad the jetta is getting heavier less efficient cheapened and looking like a bastard audi camry clone.

I think my next car is gonna be a Mini Countryman.

You also have a TDi which is one of the last GOOD VW's, at that. Get an 01 Jetta with a 1.8T or worse yet a V6 4Motion Passat and then see where you sit.

my friend has a 99 jetta, and it never fail... only complain is the engine bay design is a little bit hard to work on, no actually, everythin is hard to work on, may be European engineers are too anal? :redface:

I have a 2011 jetta 2.5 for 5 months, 4 checks engine lights... same issue with O2 sensor an catalytic converter... they replaced them both and no problem since, its a fun car to drive, and true is VW I5 and Tdi engines last forever.. just their electrical system sucks ball :mad:

I have a 2011 jetta 2.5 for 5 months, 4 checks engine lights... same issue with O2 sensor an catalytic converter... they replaced them both and no problem since, its a fun car to drive...

2011 Jetta "fun car to drive"? Ummmm....ok. That is the first time I have heard that from anyone.

Good old VW quality control. If you get a good one, they can be great. If you get a bad one they are terrible.

This is what scares me about European cars in general. Serious roll of the dice.

Audi, VW, BMW, Benz, take your pick.

Any car make can have problems, but it's the mad lootcakes it costs to fix a European car compared to a jap car (in general) that has scared me off.

Archived