LegacyGT.com

'06 Nav System - not the best maps available, I'd pass on it.

I went to check out a Tribeca with a navigation system. Been curious as to who the map database provider is. I sort of knew already based on early info that it was a Kenwood based system but I wanted to see first hand to confirm my suspicions.

Basically there are two map providers for navigation systems. NAVTEQ and GDT/Tele Atlas.

Who uses NAVTEQ? Just about everybody including Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, BMW, Daimler-Chrysler, VW, Audi, Porsche, Garmin, Magellan (maker of the Hertz NeverLost system) and Alpine.

And who uses GDT/Tele Atlas? Subaru, Kenwood, Pioneer, Tom Tom. I can't think of any others.

So guess which database provider has the most current and accurate map? It's not the one that's in the Tribeca.

I went to check out a Tribeca with a navigation system. Been curious as to who the map database provider is. I sort of knew already based on early info that it was a Kenwood based system but I wanted to see first hand to confirm my suspicions.

Basically there are two map providers for navigation systems. NAVTEQ and GDT/Tele Atlas.

Who uses NAVTEQ? Just about everybody including Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, BMW, Daimler-Chrysler, VW, Audi, Porsche, Garmin, Magellan (maker of the Hertz NeverLost system) and Alpine.

And who uses GDT/Tele Atlas? Subaru, Kenwood, Pioneer, Tom Tom. I can't think of any others.

So guess which database provider has the most current and accurate map? It's not the one that's in the Tribeca.

Interesting.

First, I know virtually nothing about GPS maps...

But I am currently thinking of buying a GPS system for my Palm PDA.

It comes with TomTom maps and Navigator.

I just want to use it for basic things, like going from my place in Quebec, Canada to Virginia beach without geting lost with 3 young kids aboard !

Can you elaborate why GDT/Atlas maps are so bad?

Thanks a lot

Eric

mmanus88, what area do you live in? i heard the 06 legacy's nav system is sub par and was considering picking up a 05 leg gt and installing the n2. can you post pictures of how it looks in the dash, (cubby hole or replacing stock receiver) and any other information you can give me? (oh .. and yes .. i'm serious. i loved the 05 but because of the line of work i am going to be getting into, i need a good reliable nav unit. i was excited about the 06, but if it's nav unit is sub par, i'll just save cash by getting an 05 and installing a n2. if the n2 isnt what i'm looking for (or doesnt satisfy my needs) i'll look into accord/tsx.

would suck if i end up with an accord/tsx as a consolation because of some darn nav unit though. i want a lustworthy car =)

We have NAV in the MINI - went for a drive earlier this week - the whole town of Front Royal, VA was on the map, but NOT digitized for guidance. WTF? I would venture a guess it doesn't use NAVTEQ

I personally know that BMW have just updated their maps for 2005 and they look great. A few clitches with Version2005.1 but 2005.2 is look great. Im sure if BMW have updated, they must be getting them from somewhere.

Ada///M.

I think all the maps out there are pretty good. WHat makes or brakes a NAV system is the interface... how easy it is to use and how well it works.

WHen i used to have to travel for my job, we'd often rent cars with the hertz never lost system... that damn system got us lost more times times than I care to remember.

Who does the map updates and how much? My convern with any embedded NAV system is that map updates will be non-existant ot cost 300-500 a pop.

My dealer said that they would be out once a year (the current discs are labeled as 2005-2006 so it's going to be about a year before we see updates). He didn't give me a price but it's going to have to be ~$150 to stay competetive since that's approximately what everyone else charges.

If everyone complains about the maps being subpar, say through a petition or through their local dealerships, maybe they will update it sooner. It seems to me that some people won't buy the car unless the NAV is good, so why lose sales?
-ben

Let me first say my observations are region dependent and I live in a large metro area that you would hope that both map providers update as often as needed when new roads are added.

Here are a couple of screenshot examples. Check out the connection between 134th Pl SE and Cathcart Way. The road has been in service for over a year now. Look at the mapquest map which shows 2005 NAVTEQ data. Now look at mapsonus map which shows 2005 TeleAtlas data. Which database would you rather have in your car?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/urabus/real_estate/map_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/urabus/real_estate/map_2.jpg

If Nav system is the main factor for your choice b/t an LGT and others, then you clearly will not appreciate the Legacy.

If you somehow assumed from his post that nav was the main factor for him, you clearly will not appreciate this thread.

Why does every thread started with useful data on a specific feature have to turn into "go buy another car because you obviously hate the LGT"?

:rolleyes:

My wife's cars have nav., she first had a '04 TSX and the nav. system was user friendly then she traded the car for a '05 C230 Kompressor with nav. The nav on the MB is hard to use and it is not user friendly, then she traded it for a '05 TL with nav. In my experience the Acura nav. system is good. If Subaru will use the same system as what Acura is using it should be okay.

My dealer said that they would be out once a year (the current discs are labeled as 2005-2006 so it's going to be about a year before we see updates). He didn't give me a price but it's going to have to be ~$150 to stay competetive since that's approximately what everyone else charges.

for the MB it is about $500 for a 6 yr upgrade and $150 for 1 yr

wunderkind, it is not the main factor ... then again it is. how would i explain this... ah ... i know.

i'm getting into real estate as a profession.

do you know where 1135 scott street is? or how bout 548 maynard? ...

me neither... if you have to hit up 4-10 of these on a given day, you can see why nav would be VERY useful to some people... it would almost seem like the nav unit was MADE for real estate agents.

Sure, if it was purely based on nav, i wouldnt even look at a legacy. I have heard fantastic things about the acura nav system (which is the same as the honda nav system in an accord).

The accord is roomier, has more trunk space, and costs less.

The reason why i want a legacy has more to do with the passion i have for the car. it's beautiful. it's elegant, with a nice interior (the accord has a fantastic interior as well) and a bit of kick. I'm a young person myself, and the legacy feels like a better fit for someone in his 20's (compared to a camry or an accord). In San Francisco, Camry's and accords are everywhere, and because of that, they're like part of the scenery... that makes the legacy appealing as well. I dont want to buy a toaster .. I want to buy a car, something I'd want to keep until the wheels fall off .... instead of just swapping it in 2-3 years and eating the depreciation.

But I cannot in good conscience buy a legacy with a horrible nav unit. if it isnt as polished as honda ... so what? but if it's as horrible as some stories in another thread has said (tribeca couldnt find the dealership/wrong address to their house etc) then i may have to either look at the pioneer n2, or go with a acura/honda/camry.

i am dying for a legacy ... i just have to justify it's cost ... and to do so (at this point) all i need to see is something reasonable coming out of the former cubby hole. It would suck if i ended up with a camry/accord/tsx as a consolation instead of the legacy that i'd really rather have...

oh and kenzo, thanks for sticking up for me =)

Who cares, give me a Thomas Guide and I'll go "old school" on ya anytime!:)

Ya mon!!

Got from Downtown LA to Hollywood, when major acidents on the 10, 101 and 110 made them all a parking lot during rush hours.

Used T-Bros and my brain (at least what's left of it) and city streets.

Don't need our Patriot Act government able to track my movement and speeds because I have a GPS system.

For a real estate agent, I would think a hand-held GPS Nav would be even better. That way it isn't tied only to your car.

You could use it in a client's car, in the office, or anywhere else.

If it is going to be a useful tool, and it sounds like it will be for you, I'd think a quality piece that isn't built into a dashboard would be the best...

But I personally don't know much about NAV. I navigate by sense of direction, geographic memory (in my head) and a relatively new map, if I am unfamiliar. I don't look for addresses on maps, though, and I travel lots of miles, but usually the same places that I am familiar with. My situation is obviously different than others, though.

I am glad NAV is being offered as an option for those who want it, and I hope it is an accepable solution. Personally, I wouldn't spend cash for wheels and tires on an electronic map in the dashboard.

Don't need our Patriot Act government able to track my movement and speeds because I have a GPS system.

You actually think you can be "tracked" with a receive-only system?

:lol:

That's like thinking your radio can be tracked because it's receiving radio signals. Watch out for 'the man'! He's tracking your radio and TV!

... but anyway, thanks to the original poster for starting an informational thread, even if it got crapped on by the "You Hate Subaru If You Don't Love Every Feature Of The Car" people and the "I Don't Like NAV, So Everyone That Does Is A Moron" people.

:rolleyes:

Archived