LegacyGT.com

'06 Nav System - not the best maps available, I'd pass on it.

Andre*k could you give me more info on the maps?

I am getting a Spec B on Monday and I am delighted that you can confirm that NavTeq is the map supplier as they are excellent compared to TeleAtlas for Ireland.

I deliberately ditched my NavMan iCN 630 when they switched to TeleAtlas maps as the coverage outside major cities in Ireland is woeful.

Bought myself a Pocket PC and CoPilot 5 with NavTeq maps and I was up to date.

Look forward even more to Kenwood 3200 now that you have confirmed the NavTeq maps

I am not concerned about the current nav systems tracking me. There does seem to be a certain disturbing legislative trend that is trying to implement "black boxes", and with the advent of OnStar-type services that imbed a cellular telephone, the technology is becoming available to do some nefarious things.

On a side note: I don't see who would pay 16$ a month after the first year to subscribe to a service, OnStar in this case, that normally wouldn't get used, other than to have someone monitor your car. A magnetic hide-a-key and a cheap pre-pay cell phone for calling 911, stashed in the glove box (for those who don't carry a full cell with them all the time) is much cheaper for emergency situations that OnStar advertizes for.

CONTEXT: I AM NOT saying that black box accident recorders or OnStar, and certainly not NAV, and other things ARE being used nefariously. I am just saying that they theoretically COULD BE in fairly short order. Tracking drivers for speeding, and other things is not out of the realm of the government's drive to collect more revenue from traffic fines. That is an obvious use, and not out of character for the money and power hungry branches of government.

Conspiracy theorists might hypothesize that other, more covert monitoring could take place, and the government not be obliged, nor even inclined to tell you about it. and sufficiently buried in the car's electronics, the activity would be undetectable by you. I don't think this happens, but I would have no way of finding out if it did.

**I am certainly not saying that any of this stuff is happening. I don't think it is. However, with GPS location, and an embedded cellular telephone with no user interface aside from a blue button, speaker and mic, does beg the question about possibilities.

BTW, I hope my earlier post wasn't construed as: I Don't Like NAV so everyone who does is a "_".

I certainly did not mean that.

I meant that I don't need it for where I typically drive, and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, but I do hope that people who do want it will be satisfied with it.

If I decide that I really want a GT Spec B here in about 4 months or so, I may end up getting NAV whether I want it or not, because it sounds like it is standard equip on that car, while optional on all the other models. If the rest of the car is worth the total price, the NAV won't break the deal for me. It just might not get used much.

You actually think you can be "tracked" with a receive-only system?

Go read a millitary technical White Paper on the GPS system (or talk to a GPS engineer), and you will find that all GPS recieves are required to ping the system with thier coded ID - for sure military GPS.

Car MFG's, are required to register the GPS ID with the VIN numbers with the US Gov.

Also, I work with several companies who supply GPS black boxes for government, business fleets and rental companies - and the main feature of these systems is the ability to monitor location and speed (or the history via a download).

"Recieve only" is marketing for the masses.

On-star uses GPS, and is all about tracking.

@kevmac, what exactly do you want to know?

I have version 2.1 navigation disc with Navteq software 2004-2005.

I assume the 2005-2006 version will come out shortly.

I have the car now for 4 weeks, and I am very happy with the car itself but also with the NAV system included.

Go read a millitary technical White Paper on the GPS system (or talk to a GPS engineer), and you will find that all GPS recieves are required to ping the system with thier coded ID - for sure military GPS.

Car MFG's, are required to register the GPS ID with the VIN numbers with the US Gov.

Also, I work with several companies who supply GPS black boxes for government, business fleets and rental companies - and the main feature of these systems is the ability to monitor location and speed (or the history via a download).

Onstar uses a separate transmit technology and is obviously meant for tracking.

I've designed GPS receivers, and they are just that - receivers. This was for commercial use, but it wasn't specifically for automotive installation. No "registration" was ever required.

But I could be a government informant, sent here to disseminate false information to the "masses" ... (insert spooky music here)

Thanks for the corrections on military / automotive GPS. Education is good.

(By the way, I tracked your message back to your computer. Put some pants on!)

You actually think you can be "tracked" with a receive-only system?

:lol:

That's like thinking your radio can be tracked because it's receiving radio signals. Watch out for 'the man'! He's tracking your radio and TV!

*pulls out the spare tinfoil hat*

:eek::lol:

LOL - Pants are on - at least till girlfriend comes home.

There are several levels of GPS.

A friend of mine does "security" work for the gov and the spooks. Depending on the system it can be tracked.

Do you know the way to San Jose?

I've been away so long. I may go wrong and lose my way.

I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose.

L.A. is a great big freeway.

Put a hundred down and buy a car.

In a week, maybe two, they'll make you a star

Weeks turn into years. How quck they pass

And all the stars that never were

Are parking cars and pumping gas

They've got a lot of sapce.There'll be a place where I can stay

I was born and raised in San Jose

I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose.

Fame and fortune is a magnet.

It can pull you far away from home

With a dream in your heart you're never alone.

Dreams turn into dust and blow away

And there you are without a friend

You pack your car and ride away

I've got lots of friends in San Jose

Can't wait to get back to San Jose.

I have version 2.1 navigation disc with Navteq software 2004-2005.

I assume the 2005-2006 version will come out shortly.

I have the car now for 4 weeks, and I am very happy with the car itself but also with the NAV system included.

subaru uses navteq? i thought it was said that subaru uses tele atlas?

subaru uses navteq? i thought it was said that subaru uses tele atlas?
They are in Europe and have the better database.

Oh one more thing Legacy409, if you're thinking of the Pioneer system, it's pretty much running the same database as the USDM Subaru system. :(

yes i know .. but i am looking at the pioneer because i'd still be saving money..

06 gt limited (invoice .. or retail ... or premium above retail depending on demand)

nav = 2000 option

vs.

05 gt limited (under invoice .. or invoice with rebate ... or if i buy after the 06 comes out .. perhaps even lower pricing)

pioneer n2 = 1,300 to 1,400

jdm 1slot DIN 130.00?

labor = ???

i may be saving this way. dying to know what the 06 specs are...

Just go with the Garmin 320C, buy a 1GB chip, load the complete USA map and be done with it for less than $600. And it's portable to boot. The maps are very accurate, I recently completed trips to VA, CO & WA and the database found every restaurant and hotel I looked for. Got mine thru GPS City, no tax, no shipping.

Just go with the Garmin 320C, buy a 1GB chip, load the complete USA map and be done with it for less than $600. And it's portable to boot. The maps are very accurate, I recently completed trips to VA, CO & WA and the database found every restaurant and hotel I looked for. Got mine thru GPS City, no tax, no shipping.

Agreed, I have a Garmin C330 (hard drive version) and it is a great product. I just wish I had a second one to remove the case and permanently mount it in the '05 cubby. I'd suggest TVNAV.com for anyone looking to buy Garmin products.

I work on silicon that is in several commercial automotive GPS systems (OEM and aftermarket). There's no transmit capability - the antenna designs are completely wrong for that purpose. Not to mention the lack of power in the battery operated systems to transmit for more than a couple hundred yards.

What is present, is an industry standard protocol to send data outside the GPS device over a serial link. Combine this with a larger system that already has transmit capability, like OnStar (CDMA type phone), trucking (radio), or military (radio), and you get real time remote tracking.

For the most part, the commercial guys are loathe to add any remote tracking capability as it opens a huge amount of legal issues. They could do it, but there's just no incentive to go through that hassle.

yes i know .. but i am looking at the pioneer because i'd still be saving money..

06 gt limited (invoice .. or retail ... or premium above retail depending on demand)

nav = 2000 option

vs.

05 gt limited (under invoice .. or invoice with rebate ... or if i buy after the 06 comes out .. perhaps even lower pricing)

pioneer n2 = 1,300 to 1,400

jdm 1slot DIN 130.00?

labor = ???

i may be saving this way. dying to know what the 06 specs are...

My thoughts exactly. This is what I intend to do.

My thoughts exactly. This is what I intend to do.

just dying to know if the rumors of subaru's system is true, and what pricing will be.

then ... if it doesnt match up to snuff, i'll be looking at an 05 legacy gt limited in obsidial black :redface:

Archived