LegacyGT.com

Infinity Kappa 63.5i

sduford

I was thinking about those new Kappas with their 94 db sensitivity, but I seriously doubt our stock amp can handle that load w/o overheating/shutting down, maybe permanently. I'd like to see an impendance curve for those speakers, it may be that it isn't much different than some 4 ohm speakers' impedance curves. I'm still thinking if I replace my stock speakers at all, it'll be with either the Polk db full range or the Infinity reference series 6.5" full range. Those models both should fit depthwise without issues, and be OK with factory amplification.

From http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA62.7I'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL (Kappa series 6.5")

Specifications

MSRP U.S. $:169.95Power Handling, RMS:75 WattsPower Handling, Peak:225 WattsSensitivity:94dBFrequency Response:45Hz - 25kHzMounting Depth:2-3/16"Impedance:2 Ohms

From http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF6012SI'&Ser=REF&Cat=MEL (shallow mount Reference series 6.5")

Specifications

MSRP U.S. $:119.95Power Handling, RMS:50 WattsPower Handling, Peak:150 WattsSensitivity:92dBFrequency Response:53Hz - 21kHzMounting Depth:1-15/16"Impedance:4 Ohms

I was thinking of these, but I think I'll stick with their Kappa Components.. I am not really looking into upgrading the sound that much, I just want a better response out of the music without having to blow up the headunit or anything else.

Keefe

Keefe

I did a little searching on Infinity's website. They are 4 ohm speakers (never seen a 2 ohm non subwoofer either). That being said, there's no way that the headunit's amp would be stable at 2ohm.

Here's a link to the manual http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/Kappa%20.5%20Multielements%20OM%20FINAL.pdf

Enjoy!

That's was I was thinking too, 2 ohm is very low. BTW, I think the manual must be wrong, because they list 2 ohm every where else on their website, and they even use that as a marketing tool.

based on posting above, it looks like the new x.7i speakers are 2 ohm, but the x.5i speakers are 4 ohm..

Also sensitivity has nothing to do with the amplifier power (and impedance stability). The sensitivity defines the speaker's SPL to 1 watt input at 1 meter distance, which generally means that a speaker with a higher sensitivity will be "louder" with less wattage than one with less sensitivity.

• 2 years later...

Aftermarket speakers with the OEM stereo FTL

If you are going to replace, do yourself a favor and get a cleansweep and amplifier.

You are wasting money by merely replacing stock speakers. (Of course unless you have a blown your stock speakers) The issue is that the stock head unit doesn't have the power to push nice speakers, hence the need for a cleansweep/amplifier combo, OR LOC (line out converter) to an amplifier (with components, or coaxials)

Any word on these? I am looking into getting some kappa components to replace my stockers and also want to know if the headunit can handle 2 ohms.

You do realize that you bumped a 3 year-old thread, right? Don't you think that speaker technology has improved in 3 years? Buy a newer model.

They are a new model that I will purchase, but still 2 ohms. Hence the question about 2 ohms. But I found my answer on the infinity website. I did a 3 year old thread because I searched, not just posted a topic before hand. Also, no amp or stuff yet. No room in the ob, nor money going that way yet. Power first. Just a simple upgrade.

They are a new model that I will purchase, but still 2 ohms. Hence the question about 2 ohms. But I found my answer on the infinity website. I did a 3 year old thread because I searched, not just posted a topic before hand. Also, no amp or stuff yet. No room in the ob, nor money going that way yet. Power first. Just a simple upgrade.

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as a smart-@$$.

At any rate, I have heard that most HUs can handle the 2-ohm load and not have problems. I think it odd that Infinity went to the 2-ohm coaxials and components, but they seem to work, so what do I know?

I don't really like the sound of the newer infinity speakers, but different people have different tastes. My Alpines are so-so (betteer than infinity, bit not great). In the coaxial realm, the Polk dBs are a good choice, IMO.

Thats alright. I have a real nice system in my avalanche, but having to slowly do the car. And fighting with the wife over space. She doesn't want to loose the spare, and I want to take it out and amp the car up. But most of the mod money will go to power first. Thanks for the recomendations, I will head out and listen to them first.

"normal" speakers are 4 ohm... when they heat up (from normal use) their ohm load increases causing the power handling of the speaker to go down thus reducing the overall output. Infinity set these speakers at 2ohm so they will have increased output and efficiency, also, as they heat up their ohm load will increase to that of a "normal" set of speakers thus reducing the output to a "normal" level, it will do this before it reduces the output bellow "normal" levels. It is actually a pretty smart idea on their part. They explain this on their website a little better than I can half asleep trying to eat my cheerios. LOL

-Jason

Installing aftermarket speakers with the OEM headunit is like putting STI badges on a N/A Subaru. It just isn't going to do you any good.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that now your HU will run out of juice before the speakers reach their limits, but no in the sense that they can (and often do) sound cleaner, even at low volumes.

I put Alpines on my stock HU and due to the reduction in efficieny, the stock HU gets to clipping before the speakers get loud enough to enjoy sunroof-open cruising.

I just ordered http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=5000ub&i=130DEHP500 to compensate.

Well what kills me about the stocks is not so much the music, but when I listen to talk radio the speakers are so harsh it hurts my ears. I don't need it loud anymore, just clear. These will probably go on my list for mods, about # two. I will eventually amp then, just not yet.

hutru01 has some good points, btu I don't totally agree with him. That being said...

If you listen to talk radio, aftermarket speakers 9the right ones) should help with the sound. I listen to talk radio on the way to work and it did sound a lot better at the moderate volume that such a format commands.

Music...not the improvement I had hoped to hear. Windows up, it is fine, but open up the roof and/or the windows and the game changes altogether.

I can agree that listening to talk radio would be clearer since there is no possibility for distortion unless you turn it up past 30. It really depends on your preference I suppose.

With music, you aren't going to see a tremendous improvement without a aftermarket head unit.

I can remember even when I hooked up a set of MB Quart components to an aftermarket HU, it sounded nothing like it did once those components were running off of an amp. It is the same principle here.

To get your money's worth out of "nice speakers" when buying aftermarket, you really have two options.....

Stock HU --> LOC --> Amplifier --> Speakers

or

Aftermarket HU --> Amplifier --> Speakers (Better quality)

In conclusion, if you are going to go aftermarket with speakers and don't ever plan on running them off of an amplifier, just go with the base model speakers (i.e., Infinity Reference, JBL, Kenwood, etc)

No need for Infinity Kappa's or Boston Acoustic SL's as your stock HU doesn't have the power to push them in order for you to hear the depth of the speaker. The extra money you spend on them will be wasted.

Archived