LegacyGT.com

Cup Holder Rant

Okay, first let me say this, I like my Subaru Legacy. 1998, 2.2l, wagon, 146,000 miles. Runs quite nice, AC, power windows, power locks, cruise, defrost, etc. It all works great! I'm spoiled, as my old Honda Civic had power nothing, no cruise, no air, etc. I think it had an airbag, but you had to blow it up yourself.

Here is my only beef. Those cupholders on the dash. Seriously. Is there a more useless place? These "holders" are challenged to hold anything beyond a dixie cup. Flimsy piece of plastic crap. Nothing I've found fits there.

Oh, and the location? You've got to be kidding. Lord forbid I want to change the radio station AND have a cup of coffee there. How about the climate control? Better get it where you want it before putting your drink there! Because you can't access it with a drink in place! How stupid!?

Maybe Subaru wasn't selling enough replacement radios, as when the drink spills from a sudden stop, it dumps into the tape (or cd) player! How convenient!

Cup holder my A$$!!!!!!!

Yeah, I hate the cupholders there on our wagon as well... My favorite was a car I had that you couldn't replace the CDs in the stereo when the car was in 5th... :)

thats all the time then. thats even worse... i dont mind the cup holders.. i dont drink and drive.:lol:

• I Donated
in 98 they went to a cup holder that slides out at an angle towards the passenger side. and the driver side cup hole was larger so it would hold larger ''cups''.

Thats a Legacy cup holder???? Its in my 98OB...I figured it was out of a Forester or something lol. I like the older style better

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You know, I've had a BG in my life since 2000, and in all that time, I've NEVER had an issue with the cup holders.

The biggest cups you can get in NZ still fit in them fine, I think the issue lays with the bloody immense size of the shit you guys get in the states...

If the fact a cup holder designed in 1992, in japan, for the japanese market of 1992/3, can't hold your 2 gallon jug from the America of today is an issue for you, then I suggest you get a car that has no problems with doing so ;) You gotta remember context guys!

When I first bought my BD I had to remove the HVAC and radio, completely disassemble both, and clean every component. Everything was covered in dried soda/juice.

They are in a completely useless spot, but they do get the job done when needed.

You know, I've had a BG in my life since 2000, and in all that time, I've NEVER had an issue with the cup holders.

The biggest cups you can get in NZ still fit in them fine, I think the issue lays with the bloody immense size of the shit you guys get in the states...

If the fact a cup holder designed in 1992, in japan, for the japanese market of 1992/3, can't hold your 2 gallon jug from the America of today is an issue for you, then I suggest you get a car that has no problems with doing so ;) You gotta remember context guys!

holy ****, where have you been??

Maybe one of these days they'll get some bigger cups in NZ, why we even have cups with handles on them here in the US but they don't fit in the cup holders at all.

Heck we even have these foam things you can slide over a can to keep it cold but those darn things don't fit the cup holder either.

I know both of those things are pretty modern technology and it's hard to mesh such new technology with old style cup holders so I guess that's the price you pay if you want to drive a Subaru, ancient technology cup-holders......

Reuben the Troll photo in the other thread (GTB bumpers) wasn't for you at all....Broknin, and I have an ongoing joke on another guy.

Hehe, I knew it wasn't me, but it fits me so well.

MI know both of those things are pretty modern technology and it's hard to mesh such new technology with old style cup holders so I guess that's the price you pay if you want to drive a Subaru, ancient technology cup-holders......

Oh dear. Get an american tank, you'll clearly be a happier man the day you can fit a 2 gallon cup in your cup holder. For me, I bought a Subaru cause they look good, sound good, and drive good. I can't say cup holders have ever been an issue.

Hehe, I knew it wasn't me, but it fits me so well.

Oh dear. Get an american tank, you'll clearly be a happier man the day you can fit a 2 gallon cup in your cup holder. For me, I bought a Subaru cause they look good, sound good, and drive good. I can't say cup holders have ever been an issue.

Obviously my post was tongue in cheek as I assumed yours was. Seems I was wrong. And it also obvious that the cup-holders are a very poor design if you really want to be serious about it, if you don't think so you may need to get out more. Most cars don't put their cup-holders right over the stereo and in front of the ventilation controls. I can't even see the stereo to change a CD or changes channels. Maybe they don't have CD's or radio stations where you are and you've never used the stereo but surely you use the AC or heater I would think.

As for the "2 gallon cup" and "American tank" you keep talking about it make's you sound like someone with penis envy and every one else's is bigger. Unfortunately I just have a normal 12 oz travel mug for my 1 1/2 hr commute to work in the morning.

As for the "American tank" I've never owned one or expect to unless you call my old 71 bb ElCamino, 69 Camaro, or 68 AMX tanks. I call those American muscle would love to have anyone of them back.

• 7 years later...

Archived