LegacyGT.com

Read my story

Just bought a used legacy 2005 with 90k miles. Get it inspected for 200 bucks at Subaru dealership, everything is good. 1000 miles later engine has ringland damage and exhaust valve stuck open. I take it to another dealer, they claim detonation caused the damage. Subaru denys good will coverage because its from detonation and not a defect.

I looked at service records, it had a cracked intercooler replaced under warranty at 60k. Also the exhaust gasket got burnt , causing too much air in the exhaust valve to set a lean fuel condition.

How do you guys talk to Subaru customer service and do you think I have a chance at getting good will coverage based on the service records I just found? I have all the oil changes and major service.

When I first got the car back the check engine light came on right away after I went up a hill. The engine was smoking slightly after I turened it off.Took it to dealer, reset code. Happened again so I took it back , they said it was a bad sensor in the exhaust and replaced problem fixed. Engine was still smoking a little.

500 miles later, smoking seems to be getting worse or at least not getting better. I am getting frustrated, so I take it to a third dealer ship ( not trusting the first 2.. LOL) and they take it apart. They claim it is a quality of work issue, the valve cover gasket was put on wrong. WOW right?

Quality of work issue, that sounds bad. Is this a common mistake or is it bad one?

I am now questioning the rest of the job the dealership did since I payed them 4 grand. I at least have a 12,000 mile warranty on the work they did but still I am skeptical as this is the third time I had to go back to dealer after engine was fixed. I'm hoping I can use this to leverage some money out of Subaru.

Thanks everyone

There's a link on the Subaru website that says "dealer relations" or " dealer issues." Something like that. Fill out the contact form, give them as much detailed info as possible (dates/prices/etc), and you'll hear back quickly. I had to do that once and I got a call the next day from both the dealership and Subaru's main customer relations people. You may very well get some compensation.

Got it back today, no more smoking. 2nd Dealership said the first one forgot to put silicone around the valve cover gasket . Wonder if that is a bad mistake or a forgivable one? Subaru still denying good will but I am gonna keep trying cause it doesn't hurt.

Got it back today, no more smoking. 2nd Dealership said the first one forgot to put silicone around the valve cover gasket . Wonder if that is a bad mistake or a forgivable one? Subaru still denying good will but I am gonna keep trying cause it doesn't hurt.

Yeah keep trying but dont expect much sadly :redface:

Archived