LegacyGT.com

Tire Recomendations

Dbl_D718

I just bought my 07 spec.B a few days ago and it needs tires. I'll be using the factory rims.

I want all-season tires that have more of an emphasis on dry/wet performance, but decent traction in snow would be nice. From my searching, I've landed on the Continental DWS tires and they seem to offer the best performance for what I'm looking for. I've also read about the potentially softer sidewall, so I'd run them at a slightly higher pressure as seems to be recommended. From those who've done this, how does it affect tire wear?

I'm considering different sizes from factory, but don't really know. Seems like 225/45 would be ok for the factory rim and wouldn't throw off the speedo much. Opinions?

I'll probably go with stock sized DWS tires unless you guys suggest against it.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Honestly, I can't highly recommend the DWS. I have about 5000 miles on mine and really wish I tried something else. A few years ago the DWS might have been among the best, but not so much now. Having it to do all over again I would definitely look at the high end Bridgestone or even General performance all season tires. My father has an LGT that he put General UHP's on and even they feel more responsive than the DWS. Just my .02

I believe Bridgestone has the RE970 out now and I bet the General G-Max is pretty good. One of those would be my choice if I had it to do over again.

I loved the DWS's on my WRX but there was more road noise than I like and they seemed a little sloppy in the corners. My LGT came with new 225/45-18 Goodyear Eagle GT's and they are great for dry and wet pavement so far. They ride a lot nicer that the DWS's. I am not sure how well they perform in the snow yet though.

Honestly, I can't highly recommend the DWS. I have about 5000 miles on mine and really wish I tried something else. A few years ago the DWS might have been among the best, but not so much now. Having it to do all over again I would definitely look at the high end Bridgestone or even General performance all season tires. My father has an LGT that he put General UHP's on and even they feel more responsive than the DWS. Just my .02

I believe Bridgestone has the RE970 out now and I bet the General G-Max is pretty good. One of those would be my choice if I had it to do over again.

The General UHP is a UHPS (summer) tire. Just saying because the DWS is a UHPAS. The 970 PP is UHPAS tire as well. When you say "more repsonsive" and squishy sidewalls (as I've heard from other people about the DWS) what are you comparing it to? Another UHPAS or a summer tire? The General G-MAX AS-03 looks to be a decent UHPAS choice.

How many miles do you have on them?

Not 100% sure but at least 25K, but I put them to good use :) The biggest complaint I tend to hear from them is that they're loud, but my catless exhaust tends to drone that out so I couldn't comment :lol:

I've got Eagle GTs on my ride, too. Like everything about them except it seems like the tread is wearing out pretty quick. What's been your experience regarding tread wear?

I got those November 2009 and ate them up pretty quick. Definitely couldn't use them last winter. I only put about 15k miles on them.

I would agree that the DWS' are a little soft but with the correct tire pressure they are among the best I have ever had for VERY wet weather and snow...for an AS that is!

The higher pressure doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the tread life and I drive pretty hard...

I would agree that the DWS' are a little soft but with the correct tire pressure they are among the best I have ever had for VERY wet weather and snow...for an AS that is!

The higher pressure doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the tread life and I drive pretty hard...

Same goes for me. I usually run them 40F/38R. Had them for 2 years/~20k miles and are going back on late November.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I've got Eagle GTs on my ride, too. Like everything about them except it seems like the tread is wearing out pretty quick. What's been your experience regarding tread wear?

I've got ~35K on mine so far and I expect at least another 5-10K out of them.

Cool, glad the responses kinda took off here, I appreciate the input. I think I'll go with the DWSs so I have snow-capable all season tires and then look for summer rims/tires next summer.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I'm liking my Eagle GTs as well. If you were in Ohio I'd give you a place to get the best deal you can find anywhere but you're not. Anyone in Ohio look up Blevins Tires in Perrysville. Got all 4 tires for $575 which was $200 less than anywhere else. hole in the wall. Looks like a dump. They do a great job.

Archived