LegacyGT.com

is there anthing good about the lgt?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no but I work at subaru and not saying that they are the MOST reliable car on the road but they are definitly reliable besides the infamous 2.5 headgasket leaks and their catalytic codes always spitting out they are pretty good we very rarely see any come in with very serious problems, most of the worst things we have seen has a lot to do with the driver not taking care of their car or just are plain stupid but overall reliability i would say they are pretty damn good

When you read the problems online it always makes you think this happens to everyone.

Drive your car and enjoy.

People try to make race cars out of their subaru's.... I wouldn't expect any less failures with what people try to do to these cars on this forum.

Took a lot of testing to get my Beretta where it is today. And its the same deal with that car people complaining about failures and all, but I wouldn't blink an eye at driving it 2000 miles and then putting down a 12sec 1/4mile pass, its been built right to fix all those issues when you beat on it ;)

• I Donated

Meh, the failures are not just because of mods. There are original owners with bone-stock cars who have kept up on maintenance and need to replace the turbo and shortblock. These cars are not as reliable as most Hondas or Toyotas, no matter how you slice it.

Now, does that mean you are absolutely going to have trouble? No. It doesn't even mean you are likely to have trouble. It just means there's a greater chance than with a Camry.

Meh, the failures are not just because of mods. There are original owners with bone-stock cars who have kept up on maintenance and need to replace the turbo and shortblock. These cars are not as reliable as most Hondas or Toyotas, no matter how you slice it.

Now, does that mean you are absolutely going to have trouble? No. It doesn't even mean you are likely to have trouble. It just means there's a greater chance than with a Camry.

True enough. I don't think there is are too many boosted camry's though. I'm sure they exist but boost doesn't help reliability a whole hell of a lot. Obviously not all Subies are either but...

• I Donated
True enough. I don't think there is are too many boosted camry's though. I'm sure they exist but boost doesn't help reliability a whole hell of a lot. Obviously not all Subies are either but...

Aaaaaand this is why NA Subarus have substantially better reliability........

That and the fact that everyone who buys a boosted car intends to rape it once in a while.

This is exactly why I made my statement... most with a boosted subaru work the car MUCH harder than someone with a 2.5i does.

besides that... My car has over 100k on it and I haven't had any engine issues... Just a worn bearing on my turbo, btw it is a wear item for those who get mad at it "wearing out" and my wife has 157k on her 2.5i Impreza...

I'm now stage 2 and I'll be stopping there since I think any more will just take away any reliablity I have... Right now I could still think of driving that car just about anywhere and not think twice about it, I want to keep it that way.

• I Donated
This is exactly why I made my statement... most with a boosted subaru work the car MUCH harder than someone with a 2.5i does.

besides that... My car has over 100k on it and I haven't had any engine issues... Just a worn bearing on my turbo, btw it is a wear item for those who get mad at it "wearing out" and my wife has 157k on her 2.5i Impreza...

I'm now stage 2 and I'll be stopping there since I think any more will just take away any reliablity I have... Right now I could still think of driving that car just about anywhere and not think twice about it, I want to keep it that way.

You have a 2007. 2005s had many more problems than the 2007s.

Is there any proof that they changed something in the engine for 07? I know the only difference on the turbo is the design of the compressor housing and turbine wheel. Other than that the CHRA is the same to my knowledge, so the wearing of that would not be changed. I also still have the banjo bolt filter on my year so that wasn't eliminated either. Only things I heard of with 05,06 was the ring lands breaking, and bad oil pump pickups... were those two items fixed for the 07+ models?

• I Donated
Is there any proof that they changed something in the engine for 07? I know the only difference on the turbo is the design of the compressor housing and turbine wheel. Other than that the CHRA is the same to my knowledge, so the wearing of that would not be changed. I also still have the banjo bolt filter on my year so that wasn't eliminated either. Only things I heard of with 05,06 was the ring lands breaking, and bad oil pump pickups... were those two items fixed for the 07+ models?

The compressor housing and turbine wheel is about half the turbo. So half the turbo was redesigned for 07. Just saying.

Also, the 05-06 EJ255 longblock was different from the 07+:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23670210&postcount=16

Yeah thats half the turbo, but all non wearing items...

As far as the rest goes, thats cool, I was unaware of the block change and the change of the pistons... Oddly enough though... 06 and 07 STI's have the same pistons as the 05-06 LGT... Have they had the same ringland failure issues too?

I'm going by what I've read elsewhere... No one has any real written documentation on what was changed other than the info on the 5 arc housing. But at the same time if you go to buy a rebuild kit for the VF40 all the parts are the same and it fits the VF46 as well.

Maybe Brian at BNR can veirfy if the internals of the VF40 are shared with the VF46.

The center section of a VF40 and VF46 is an IHI RHF5/RHF5H "Journal Bearing Turbo" so going by that they didn't change the center.

I was agreeing with you more than anything. I kinda thought you were indicating more towards people modifying them to extreme and getting farther and farther from "stay stock. Stay happy." Regardless, i'm looking forward to my problems with my 05. Sarcasm.

Even good car washes use soap. They wouldn't switch brands of soap to aluminum intercooler-safe soap since it's a relatively small amount of cars with intercoolers that go through there. Most people that have intercoolers wash their cars themselves. I'm glad I was able to buy one of the hood scoop covers for when my car gets washed, just for peace of mind.

I didn't mean a carwash, like one you go to. I meant carwash product, like Meguiar's etc.,. Something that is meant to clean a car but not be acidic or basic and remove existing paint protection. Ew, I would hate to find excessive Lye in my carwash product.

The compressor housing and turbine wheel is about half the turbo. So half the turbo was redesigned for 07. Just saying.

Also, the 05-06 EJ255 longblock was different from the 07+:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23670210&postcount=16

Part of which was due to the addition of the air pump...

You have a 2007. 2005s had many more problems than the 2007s.

Can't agree with that one...

Yeah thats half the turbo, but all non wearing items...

As far as the rest goes, thats cool, I was unaware of the block change and the change of the pistons... Oddly enough though... 06 and 07 STI's have the same pistons as the 05-06 LGT... Have they had the same ringland failure issues too?

Ringland failures are a risk on any higher powered Subaru motor, and an STI or 07+ Legacy is no more bulletproof than an 05...

I would say that rob is crazy whats not to like about 4th gen lgt i love mine and its a great cars also very fast and fun stage3 bnr hta 68 turbo header cat less up and dp pipe full gms catless exhaust spt short ram and kartboy shifter with stage 2 exedy clutch and i love it

" as i drive through the valley of the shadow of death i will fear NO EVO "

Archived