LegacyGT.com

Differential breather tube gone bad?

SSpeed

Had my car in to the stealer today for an alignment. As usual they call with things they "found" like "you're at 103k, timing belt is 105, should we do it now?"

Anyway, one thing they mentioned was that my rear differential breather tube was bad and spewing gear oil out the top of the differential. I'm having a hard time conceptualizing why the breather tube gone bad would do that? I can see the fluid overheating and boiling out of the breather tube, but not sure how a bad breather tube would cause fluid to come out unless it wasn't breathing at all, but then how would the fluid make it out?

When I get the car back I'll have to crawl under and look....

The breather tube is on top of the cover plate. It's a just a little plastic piece that needs to be popped out to remove the cover.

The piece can't cost more than a couple of bucks. It's pretty high above the two mount studs if I remember right.

I just replaced my rear diff back in May and had to swap out the covers. I remember removing the breather, when the diff was on the work bench. I don't understand why the fluid is coming out of it.

You can see it in the vacation pic's. I think it's around page 3600 if I can remember right. I don't have make note book with me where I printed out those pages.

Can you view the pic's ?

I found it's on page 3834. There's a picture of it there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^ Thanks, #21? I can't comprehend what replacing it will do unless fluid is boiling out, but it wouldn't be clogged in that case...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/diff.jpg

May be it got pinched somehow and is blocked. Just just pop out. It will crush easy or break off one of the two plastic clips.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^ That's sort of what I thought, usually fluid comes out of the breather if it's overfilled... on older carbuerated motorcycles a clogged breather in the carb might boil the gas and dump it out the drain tube... I think I'll just do a fluid change on the rear diff soon and call it good... Thanks for the reassurance, I was just making sure I wasn't overlooking something...

I had some fluid all over that area. I thought there was a leak somewhere from the rear end.

However, what it was was the fluid filled diff mount. I might look there if they're just basing this off of fluid around the rear end.

Archived