LegacyGT.com

Answer for 05+ Aux?

AkumaMax

Well I have been searching around this forum as well as trying to setup a mod myself that can be real simple for people to use. Needless to say I have been coming up short in both areas. See There are plenty of Aux mods out there it's just the fact that I don't want to do sodering, Take apart my radio in any way, Replace my radio with a 08+ radio, Go the JDM dual cubby and then a new radio, Cutting or splicing lines(more or less the antenna). I think I may have found our solution. I have a few Antenna adapters to buy yet to complete it and see if it works. All it is is a unit for satallite radio and what it does is plug into the 2.5mm jack of the radio and stream the music out to what seems to be an amplifier box that has a plug for an antenna and an opening in the box for an antenna input. So basically the box is a splice without cutting wires. Since our radios have new antenna lines and not the bannana connectors like the old days I have to get a male and female connector to a male and female bannana connector (Harness for antenna). I will get back to you people who are on a budget like me and want things to stay OEM like me.

So in all what this does is the 2.5mm line cuts in and the antenna to the car gets cut off (supplying no radio period). It's almost like a light switch. When a music is played through the 2.5mm jack it goes directly to any station no matter what! I'm tired and ranting on, I hope that you get my point.

Overall Cost of said project should be no more than $60+taxes.

Just waiting on both the male-female and female-male harnesses for the antenna to come in and then I can share the results. For now just using the new Griffin universal FM transmitter with smartsearch(awesome option) Works fairly well. Just looking for something that is direct connect.

Anything through the Antenna I'd imagine would be *at best*, as good as FM. Not to say it won't work for your needs, just don't get your SQ hopes too high.

I feel the frustration, finally took the plunge and started a car pc integration, haven't used my CD or radio in 6+ months :)

See but what this does is cut out all the radio stations Period when a 3.5mm is plugged into a unit(my phone). When it is disconnected then the radio can be used normally. So to clearify your favorite radio station lets say for me it is 97.9 the loop. Even though it comes in super clear and my current griffin can not over throw it's power a direct connection can. Or so I am hoping. We will see. Carputer was next though if this doesn't work. Going with a mini Acer computer it's about the size of 2 Hard drives. Then I will buy a 2TB mybook and just hook into it. If all else fails I will just end up disconnecting my antenna completely and wiring up a harness to go directly to the speakers some how. First step first though.

Yes, I know the FM modulator cuts out the FM antenna.

Trouble is, the one I had didn't reproduce the sound input via the aux-in anywhere near as clearly as even local FM stations sound (Which come in quite clear I might ad).

You may have a different one than I tried so your luck may differ.

No matter what you do you're still going to have fm quality sound. Hacking the antenna is the lowest possible sound quality. Since you have to re&re the HU anyway why not just solder in the 3 wires required to have line in? I did mine last week, took about an hour and now if i have any cd playing I just insert my 3.5 plug and the cd audio mutes and my ipod plays. Total cost= 1-3.5mm audio cord with one end cut off.

Edit; I'm sure any local electronics shop would connect the wire for cheap if you're not comfortable with soldering.

Sure.

Run your audio cable through the back of your radio and solder the common to the ground puddle on top of the FM tuner box. Run the audio line ins to pins 1(left) and 3(right) of the cd player ribbon connector on the other side of the main board. Done. Be careful when attaching the bottom cover as it can pinch your audio lines if your not very careful about routing.

My audio hack for 05 lgt w/6disk changer

Run your audio-in cable into back of hu.

Solder the common wire to the ground puddle on top of the tuner module. *Run audio lines around side of pcb (you'll be soldering them to the bottom side)

Solder Audio lines to pins 1(left) and 3(right) of the cd changer ribbon cable connector plug.

Done!

Be careful reinstalling the bottom cover as it's very easy to pinch/short the audio in lines.

Operation;

With ANY cd playing;

Plug your audio cable into your iPhone, the cd audio will mute.

Press play.

Enjoy!

All required pics and techniques have been covered in other threads.

Cheers,

TC

Wt... I posted instructions last night and after submitting a form came back saying a mod would have to approve before posting. Am I missing something here?

It's just a counter-measure to catch spammers. Not your fault, and when you have a few approved posts you won't suffer anymore.

453747.png

The whole reason for my DIY mod is that there would be no cutting soldering of any sorts. All Plug and Play. Love how easy things are. I got my Antenna adapters today so I will take some video of the sound and let people decide. Yes I am aware that this will still be radio quality but I wanted a simple install so I will deal. Let's just hope it works first off. If not I am 1 step closer to getting a Sirius satellite radio:)

I think you're a solution looking for a problem. Your fear of soldering and tearing apart the stock head unit are making you spend ten times as much time and effort devising an alternative that doesn't involve either. :rolleyes:

I have the Jazzy aux-in mod, which doesn't require any soldering and takes about an hour to install. I do have to use the blank CD though.

I think you're a solution looking for a problem. Your fear of soldering and tearing apart the stock head unit are making you spend ten times as much time and effort devising an alternative that doesn't involve either. :rolleyes:

I have the Jazzy aux-in mod, which doesn't require any soldering and takes about an hour to install. I do have to use the blank CD though.

That is the thing I am trying to avoid. I want everything to remain the same. No soldering or taking apart the radio at all. Just a direct plug and play for newbies. Yes I can do soldiering I am just trying other things first before I go that route.

Archived