LegacyGT.com

2006 Civic Si vs 2006 Altima Se-R?

I'm currently interested in these two cars right now and here is the scoop...

06 Si coupe: $14k, red, 68k miles, 6spd, excellent condition

06 Se-R sedan: $15k, red, 65k miles, 6 spd, excellent condition

Which car should I lean more towards buying? The Si is a nice pocket rocket, great handling, great gas mileage. The Se-R is a nice sport sedan, lots of features, more power and bigger.

I'm married, no kids, don't mind driving either cars. Which is the best value for the money and which is more reliable? I need some opinions from you guys...let me know...thanks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough choice.

I'd probably go for the SE-R. Since I wouldn't be racing them, a quick and sporty refined car is my choice.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd go with the SE-R all day. The VQ motors are crazy smooth and have just a fat powerband, low maintenance. The 6mt in them is pretty solid. Fully independent suspension.

more power

Huh?

IIRC Si: 197 HP, SE-R 165, SE-R spec.V 175.

Sport-sedan with 175HP? Kinda weak.

Last I checked on SE-Rs they were puking intake bolts into the engine. Hope they stopped doing it.

I agree that revving to 6k+ is annoying, but if you usually don't drive aggressively, that won't bother you much.

If you leaning to SE-R, do your self a favor and buy a spec.V trim.

Huh?

Last I checked on SE-Rs they were puking intake bolts into the engine. Hope they stopped doing it.

I agree that revving to 6k+ is annoying, but if you usually don't drive aggressively, that won't bother you much.

Altima SE-R, not Sentra SE-R.

Altima SE-R = 260hp.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Huh?

Ugh yea the wonderful QR series motors.. They did fix the butterfly screws from falling out in the newer versions though.

But as stated, OP was looking at the Altima SE-R

I test drove the Si this past weekend and will be driving the Se-R tomorrow. So I will get a better feel after driving both cars. Plan on getting either car by this weekend. But, thanks for the opinions as well.

I had an 06 Si and the car made 183whp stock on a dynapack. I guarantee the Si handles better I did not modify the suspension at all...but it will have less torque for sure.

You wont spend a ton of time in the upper RPMs on daily driving so it gets great gas mileage (I got over 30mpg) and has a nice interior.

The only mod I ended up having was a new intake. I've modified the crap out of all of my cars so that should tell you something.

I cannot speak to the Se-R but hope that helps.

The Nissan

Agreed, but personally i wouldnt buy either.

A guy at my buddies work has 38,000 into his 08 SI(including the car) and put down just over 200whp the other day. He paid almost 10k to pick up 30-40whp. Of course that includes labor for install of parts aswell as tuning but still 10k, he could have had a 500-600hp engine built by a shop for 10k.

If I HAD to choose between the two I would say the Nissan. The reason I say that is because I had a Nissan Maxima 96 Supercharged and it was a sweet car. I have never been a Honda fan but they are very reliable
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Well if nobody else will say it, you can get a BL/BP for that price, and with a couple hundred bucks in mods, wipe the floor with both those cars.

Its true, thats why i said i would not buy either of those cars because i already had the choice of a 15-18k everyday driver sedan and i picked a legacy gt.

Well if nobody else will say it, you can get a BL/BP for that price, and with a couple hundred bucks in mods, wipe the floor with both those cars.

This.

Can't you pick up a 06 or 07 LGT sedan for the same price or less than the Honda or Nissan?

That's what I would do too.

But if you only want one of the two mentioned, I'd take the Altima SE-R all day.

Agreed, but personally i wouldnt buy either.

A guy at my buddies work has 38,000 into his 08 SI(including the car) and put down just over 200whp the other day. He paid almost 10k to pick up 30-40whp. Of course that includes labor for install of parts aswell as tuning but still 10k, he could have had a 500-600hp engine built by a shop for 10k.

That guy is a dope... I have a 2006 rsx which for all intents and purposes, is the exact same car.

I dynodd stock with about 175 whp. I now have 225whp, the dyno is in my fs thread.

Part breakdown:

Injen CAI: $230

RBC intake mani $280

Hondata K-pro $1000

CRSX Race header $450

Buddy club 2.5" exhaust $550

e-tune $150

$2500 invested yeilded 50whp... not the greatest but far better than that knucklehead did.

with $10k Id have a full race boosted rsx pushing 450whp...

To stay on topic, it all depends on what you intend to use the car for.

The Civic SI/rsx is a blast to drive w/ a great gearbox... (doesn't hold up to gobs of power but I digress). You have to go skyhigh in the rev range to make power, but that is part of the fun. It has a nice interior, factory lsd(altima does to I believe) and good handling and great gas mileage. With my current mods I average 27mpg driving pretty aggressively.

The Altima is going to be much bigger, 4 door, bigger more powerful engine and won't get as great gas mileage. It will be more comfortable over hard surfaces but will not handle as well.

That guy is a dope... I have a 2006 rsx which for all intents and purposes, is the exact same car.

I dynodd stock with about 175 whp. I now have 225whp, the dyno is in my fs thread.

Part breakdown:

Injen CAI: $230

RBC intake mani $280

Hondata K-pro $1000

CRSX Race header $450

Buddy club 2.5" exhaust $550

e-tune $150

$2500 invested yeilded 50whp... not the greatest but far better than that knucklehead did.

with $10k Id have a full race boosted rsx pushing 450whp...

As I said he paid 500 or so for tuning and god knows how much for parts install. He said over half the money he paid was for labor. Its a nice but but not 38,000 invested nice.

They're very different cars...if you want light, nimble DD fun get the Si.

The Altima SE-R is a neat and very rare car, but it's rare for a reason. If you want a comfy cruiser with some power why not get an LGT, with its AWD and cheap tuning options for a similar price? I know we're all biased here but this seems like the obvious choice to me.

The Altima is roomier than a 2005-2009 Legacy but if the Civic is big enough then the LGT easily is too.

If you really value rarity the Altima SE-R will tickle your pickle, but since you're considering the Civic Si I doubt rarity is what you're after. Even an LGT is much more rare than an Si.

Nissan for the upscale. I wonder if the original poster wants the opinion of his spouse unless they both drive two cars to a dinner date even from home, lol. I'm not saying it should completely depend on the spouse's opinion but it should contribute just a tiny bit. But what do I know; I've never been married and my boyfriend isn't really into cars.

Ultimately, the decision should be his if he is the one driving it most of the time. Drive the one that makes you happy, or you won't enjoy it.

Archived