LegacyGT.com

06 WRX wagon vs 05 LGT wagon

I deciding to sale my 06 Forester X and get back into the turbo subaru world. I have owned Subarus every since 2000 and going on my 6th. I loved my 02 WRX wagon the best and a close second is my 2000 2.5 RS coupe I bought new.

I know the that my forester using a lot of STI suspension parts.

I dont know much about the LGT, Im looking for a 05 so all i know is they are 250hp but I dont know why or anything else about them so if somebody could ramble off a ton of information it would be amazing.

Bigger, more spacious and a better ride than the Forester/Impreza due to the longer wheelbase. Try your best to get a manual transmission since the Automatic robs the Legacy of power in a big way. The 250 horsepower + manual transmission makes for a surprisingly fast car.

The 05 has a terrible sound system as well, they added SRS Wow to the 2007 which makes the sound system slightly better but still unacceptable compared to most vehicles of that era and at that price point.

Mine has been relatively problem free, in 60,000 miles I had to replace 1 belt and a heater core (which was very expensive) I also had an oil inlet pipe to the turbo come loose which was a quick fix. I consume a lot of oil, and have had it checked multiple times with no problems to be found so I just keep an eye on it.

I have only done one modification which was to add front and rear swaybars to the car, I have swaybar-ed a few cars that I have owned but it made by far the biggest difference on the Legacy. It changed the car from one that was fast in a straight line to a more all around sporty sedan.

At the end of the day, the fourth generation Legacy is one of my all time faves. It's sleek, it flies under the radar, its sharp looking and built very well.

I love my 05 GT wagon, the MT has been a nightmare but the car is still fun to drive. Though it's been on jackstands for the past 2 months. Tranny issues, doing the R&R myself and a buddy rebuilding it. I'm in no hurry.

Love my SpecB just not thrilled with the color. But it does blend in.

My 05 has the factory Sub and mid range speakers, it's much better then stock. The Spec's H/K radio sucks real bad, luckily with the Sirius XM kit it sounds much better. Read the thread on it in the 4th Gen Forum.

Get Cobb AP or a good tune, the car is much more fun to drive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Im finding the LGT wagon 5sp are hard to find so Im going the sedan route with a 5sp. My wife owned a 06 Legacy 2.5i and I liked the interior and styling but just didnt have enough under the hood for me.

If I can just get my Forester sold, but dont get me wrong I kinda wish I could keep it bc I love the room ( since I volunteer for a Great Dane Rescue) and the weather button on the radio and its just a nice car to drive and Ive taken good care of it.

I have watched videos, looked for performance parts and lost sleep over the idea of a LGT just like a little boy at Christmas time...and Im 34 ha ha

Age don't matter, I'm 57y/o

I will never lose the need for speed. But for most of us life is about compromise. I enjoy my SpecB just wish they made a SpecB wagon.

Hindsight 20/20 I should have done the 6speed swap in the wagon years ago. But we were building the Drag civic at that time.

Anyway's the Legacy's have a good bang for the buck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If I could only have the best of both worlds I would have these:

WRX wagon:

0-60 time stock

Exterior look

LGT wagon:

Interior fit and finish

Power driver and passenger seat

5EAT

All-weather package

Just sold my 05 Saabaru Aero and went with an 05 LGT Wagon 5spd and would highly recommend the LGT if space is need as it was for me. I loved the Aero though but the comfier ride, room and less turbo lag are welcome changes (plus the Mrs finds the clutch pedal far friendlier).

Good luck with your search! And the wagons are out there - found mine with 26K miles(!) and immediately put down a deposit as I just lost out on a 05 a couple of wks before (sold in 2 days)...

Just sold my 05 Saabaru Aero and went with an 05 LGT Wagon 5spd and would highly recommend the LGT if space is need as it was for me. I loved the Aero though but the comfier ride, room and less turbo lag are welcome changes (plus the Mrs finds the clutch pedal far friendlier).

Good luck with your search! And the wagons are out there - found mine with 26K miles(!) and immediately put down a deposit as I just lost out on a 05 a couple of wks before (sold in 2 days)...

The Saab aero is pretty much a wrx wagon isnt it?

I do like the space but I think Im going to a sedan and the Mrs doesnt find any clutch friendlier, well she hasnt yet.

I have a wholesaler looking for me a sedan or wagon right now so hopefully I will be as lucky as you are.

Just sold my Stage 2 wrx wagon. It was a blast. I truly believe someone can become one with their car. With a broken connector rod or spun bearing, I moved the car 10ft. and felt the conection after not driving it for 2 weeks. Built purely for driving experience in that, mediocre AC, Stereo and lack of certain ameneties were negligible to me. Like I said, it was a blast. On another note, I picked up my '05 LGT 5spd yesterday, now that's Hiroshima( No offense to our Japanese forum members) Even though my wrx was tuned, this stock Legacy flies effortlessly. 5th gear feels like 3rd. Ok...enough...of my rambling.

The Legacy is just a better looking car. On looks alone it's a winner.

Only thing I didn't like about my Legacy wagon is too softly sprung. Fitting it with Konis (stock springs) and Whiteline LCA bushings solved the problems.

You got the silver one in conn?

Love the looks, utility, fit, finish and power of the my 05 LGTW - and the surprised looks from other 'muscle' cars when it flat-out leaves them in the rear view mirror - on a constant (or changing) bearing, and rapidly opening range.

As Robin said, would not trade it for two WRX wagons of any vintage.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived