LegacyGT.com

Headlights, I got a praaablem.

bmx045

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My driver side kept fogging up, so I tried a single silica packet - it did nothing for the fogging. About 3 months later I pulled the light and opened it up to attempt to reseal (which was not successful either), and when I pulled the silica packet out it was completely soaked. So, it might work if you only have a little moisture... however, my experience is if it leaks, there is more than just a little moisture. :(

BTW - one way to clear fogging is to pop off the low-beam cap on the back, then use a hair-dryer on the front lens to "drive" the water out. DO NOT USE A HEATGUN - I made that misstake, and got the lens hot enough that when it cooled, it actually made small cracks in the plastic. Once you confirm that the fogging is all gone, just re-seal the cap on the back and you'll be golden.

BMX045, take the lights off and redo them. Remove all of the silicone. The main issue with silicone is that it does not mix with the factory sealant. Picture oil and water....that is what is going on in the seal around your lights. Once all of the silicone is peeled out add the butyl from your local auto store. There is no such thing as too sealed. This will solve your problems. Also if you have drilled holes for an HID kit ensure that you seal that area off too. This has always been my technique. Never once had fogging or leaks. I pull my car out of a 68 degree garage to a 90 degree day with 85 percent humidity. My windows and entire car fog up like crazy, but no moisture in the lights!
[

Moisture CANNOT get into something that is sealed and dry. At least no more than the ambient moisture in the area the light was resealed in.

You sealed the light. You already know its sealed around where you split it. Now where is it NOT sealed air tight? Probably where the bulbs come into the light right?

See that is the thing, using silicone mixed in with the factory sealant allows for very small pockets where moisture can get through. It may appear to be correctly sealed....but it most likely is not.
[

well, I said, literally, all seams are sealed. Not only in the connection of the lense and housing but around the outer seam (along the clips etc), much like you use silicone to seal up bath tub seams. I'm wondering if it's just the humid weather we've been having. As soon as I open up the dust cover cap, it's clear again in a few hours. If I were to spray the outside of the headlight with a hose (I.E. cold water). It will fog up.

well, I said, literally, all seams are sealed. Not only in the connection of the lense and housing but around the outer seam (along the clips etc), much like you use silicone to seal up bath tub seams. I'm wondering if it's just the humid weather we've been having. As soon as I open up the dust cover cap, it's clear again in a few hours. If I were to spray the outside of the headlight with a hose (I.E. cold water). It will fog up.

See that is the thing, using silicone mixed in with the factory sealant allows for very small pockets where moisture can get through. It may appear to be correctly sealed....but it most likely is not.

The outer part of the housing is plastic, I used the silicone to seal over the plastic seam, no contact with factory sealant on that part because I scraped it all away. So literally, water cannot physically get into the housing, vapor is another story.

Regardless, there still seems to be a greenhouse effect even with the high beam bulbs out (like it gets hot and humid in there), and once cool air/water touches the lense, the vapor collects and starts to sweat inside. I don't even know if the permatex silicone will melt in order for me to pull the lights apart again. :mad:

My oem were resealed with the OEM beutyl and silicone around the outside edge. My car has seen fluctuations of +/- 60% humidity, 8000ft and 50 degrees in a matter of a hour or two and has never fogged up either set of cleared lights. Washed in the sun, in the shade, in the hot, in the cold. GLWfix. Sorry for your frustration.

Thanks. It boggles my mind. I'm wondering if moisture can linger in there for a period of time(without seeing fog), and when the temps change you see an effect. Perhaps if I blast it with a blow dryer for like 5-10min to dry it out would prevent it from returning. Annoying as shit. The kicker is, I was experiencing this same issue before I pulled the headlights apart. That was the reasoning behind me doing this whole project. I see no cracked lense or anything, so I'm unsure as to how it originally started.

• 1 year later...
Im having the same problem I used a silicone I think I may crack them back open, I have no idea how to clean dried silicone out though, any ideas. I has been raining all weekend, I guess it was a mistake to do this during a rain storm.

I got some at NAPA. Just get a windshield replacement butyl kit. It's enough to do 30 sets of headlights easy. I reformed most of what was in the housings into a spaghetti like shape and put into the channel. I only had to add a bit to a few dry spots.

I called Napa and they said they have a black wind shield sealant in a tube. But did seem to know about any butyl rubber kit they have... I ended up buying a product called Black Jack Roof Sealant. It is called Neo-Seal, its black goo and dries to a rubbery material. Now that I think of it this does not seem right either because the OEM material never seems to dry it always tacky and messy. Crap I spent 45 min at lowes and everybody looks at me glazed eyes, never heard of butyl rubber, what are you doing with it again.....? Same BS at the auto stores no clue, they have headlamp sealant but it is clear which tells me its just silicone. Where else can I try or use that would be suitable.

Or might this work.

2013-01-28_14-12-29_786.thumb.jpg.c11052382f2caac8936b8995727cea78.jpg

Archived