LegacyGT.com

Impreza & WRX...2 Separate Cars by 2014

W1CKED

http://image.motortrend.com/f/33887560+w569+h356+ar1/new-subaru-WRX-illustration.jpg

July 14, 2011

By Peter Lyon

Illustrator: Holiday Auto Magazine

Remember the drama around removing the "Skyline" prefix from the GT-R when the all-new supercar debuted in late 2007? Well, it looks like nomenclature surgery is about to happen again, only this time Subaru is doing the separating. That's right, the Impreza and famed WRX -- joined at the hip since 1992 -- are going their separate ways.

While the new production Impreza debuted at this year’s New York Auto Show, the next WRX will take a completely different path of development and will not surface until 2014. We know this because Subaru president Ikuo Mori said at a recent shareholder’s meeting: “We will launch a new sporty car in 2014.” The WRX is that car.

**It's important to note that this is just one vision of the new car, it may turn out to look much different.**

Good b/c the Impreza is a fat turd they are laying on potential buyers they need to salvage at ONE model from Toyota and their influences.

At least we have the 2010 and 2011 WRX/STi just in case they muff the 2014.

Well we assume they are we infer their rumored actions to separate the Impreza lineage into two or three. That new car may in fact be their 2 door coupe - has anyone heard a date when that one is coming out ?

While I do not think this will happen, I do hope the WRX and STI will look better and more aggressive with a return of technology. But even if the WRX/STI become a different car model, I do not personally think it makes much difference. Really who gives a damn that the new DODGE trucks are called RAM and DODGE is now just the brand of cars while RAM is the brand of trucks and utility vans. It is the same company with same ugly inefficient products in desperate need of a refresher (save for the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the new Durango).

I wonder if they will make a WRC version of it.

That means that it will have at most a 1600 cc engine that's turbocharged.

No wonder that the WRC has gone down the drain...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Car

The 1.6L engine rules only apply to the WRC car, has nothing to do with street car. The street car could have a twin turbo H6, the actual race car can only use a 1.6L engine.

I hate the sound of the new engines. Too buzzy, kinda like a Civic with a crappy loud exhaust. Also don't know why they got rid of paddle shifters.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The rumors of a new 1.6L better be bullshit and false. They better keep it 2.5L or atleast 2.0. I can't see driving anything smaller than a 2.0L. Also keep the price the same or lower it just a bit. These rumours are bs. Subaru hasn't officially announced anything yet,and these supposed "sources" are just bullshitting about stuff as far as we know. My guess is they are secretly testing the new FB turbo engine,and a new turbo setup that's currently in the Legacy GT. I hope the 2013 WRX/STI still have a 2.5L it would be a damn shame if they did come in a 1.6 then it would be a big WTF major downgrade. :confused::spin::mad:

Why would it be bs? Subaru built it's reputation in the WRC. It's only natural they'd want to get back into it.

They have to keep the customers in the showrooms, and the WRC rules make these cars tiny. Subaru would alienate a lot of people by only offering a turbo subcompact. It's probable in addition to the WRX and STi, they'd build a turbocharged Impreza GT model with a 2.0, with a lot less fail than the last Impreza GT.

The only thing is, I thought the FIA rules mandated that all of the WRC 1.6 liter engines had to be inlines? I couldn't care less, but boxer fanboys are going to be crying all over the world.

The only thing is, I thought the FIA rules mandated that all of the WRC 1.6 liter engines had to be inlines? I couldn't care less, but boxer fanboys are going to be crying all over the world.

Nothing right away about requiring an inline engine visible in the documents I found:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/73E3BEBD6895F753C12578A70035DD2C/$FILE/254A%20_11-12_-03.06.2011.pdf

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/ADEB1630DA024E28C12578A70035BD82/$FILE/255A%20_11-12_-03.06.2011.pdf

Source page: http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/rallyregs.html

So nothing obvious is stopping a boxer engine at least.

453747.png

By the way - Group N allows for 2.5 liter engines - and with the same diameter of the restrictor as the Group A car.

The group N minimum weight for a 4WD car is 1350 kg while it's 1200 for the Group A car. But the 2WD group N cars has no minimum weight except the homologization weight.

I just wonder how much it would suck for FIA if a Group N car was faster than the Group A car.

453747.png

HA :( No the Legacy is gone the of the Camry and I imagine the MT option to fade as well

Same opinion here. My 2006 Legacy is my last Legacy, I'm afraid.

Don't like the new 10-11 styling at all, I don't like what they did to it.

:icon_sad:

I have no loyalty to any carmakers and I will be looking somewhere else other than Subaru, when I decide to trade it in.

If Subaru makes a 2-door, sub-compact, AWD WRX/STI that weighs in at 2800lbs or less, I'll be all over it regardless if it's a 1.6L I4 or H4. I don't care what direction the cylinders move in.

Stock, it'll probably rev pretty well, possibly 7500 to 8000rpm redline so they can get a minimum of 300hp for the STI. Modified, who knows?

Think about this: If it's a boxer engine, it'll likely swap really easily with existing boxers. So slipping a 2.5L STI motor in there won't be too much trouble. If it's an Inline 4, then Subaru is going to go to Toyota for help (trade for the FT-86 engine?). Toyota's performance I4s show up in a lot of cars and are the preferred engine of Lotus. There will be mods for it, and it will make power.

And even if it ends up being a transverse mounted I4, Subaru is not going to let the AWD system suck. They are known for the balance and performance of their AWD. "Symmetrical AWD" is a big thing for them. And even if they can't make it truly symmetrical in a transverse I4 package, they can make sure it feels like it is.

This car has my attention for now. Final decision will depend on the curb weight. But I'm not going to hold off on my plans for a FFR 818.

Why would it be bs? Subaru built it's reputation in the WRC. It's only natural they'd want to get back into it.

They have to keep the customers in the showrooms, and the WRC rules make these cars tiny. Subaru would alienate a lot of people by only offering a turbo subcompact. It's probable in addition to the WRX and STi, they'd build a turbocharged Impreza GT model with a 2.0, with a lot less fail than the last Impreza GT.

I was about to say, I don't think any of the previous STIs in the US met the rally's 2.0 requirement, so I don't think it's any real cause for concern.

Archived