LegacyGT.com

Hatchback: SVT Focus or Golf/GTI 1.8T??

Hatchback?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Hatchback?

• 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT
    • 1999-2005 VW Golf/GTI 1.8T
    • There's something better out there for the money.

Really looking for a 4 cylinder, and my dignity won't allow me to own a BMW.

That's a bad choice.

If I needed a car in that price range, I don't think I would look very far beyond an E30 318. I've never driven a slow car that was so much fun. In fact, the one I drove was probably one of the top 5 most fun cars I've ever driven.

Plus, they are cheap. And if you get the itch down the road, you can put an LS V8 into one.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Come on, who doesn't like more power? If my memory serves me right, a focus can handle up to 300 horsepower without any problems. But it is FWD, so it won't be as fun as a LGT. :lol:

My goals with this next car are to make a car that's good at autocross and track capable, and will mostly receive suspension and visual mods. The car after the will be my first big power project, not gonna waste that on a Focus/Golf or any FWD platform (unless I still wanted a Honda hatch).

That's a bad choice.

If I needed a car in that price range, I don't think I would look very far beyond an E30 318. I've never driven a slow car that was so much fun. In fact, the one I drove was probably one of the top 5 most fun cars I've ever driven.

Plus, they are cheap. And if you get the itch down the road, you can put an LS V8 into one.

I know its not rational, but the BMW owners local to the area are rather douchy. I just dont want to be a part of that crowd.

On the search for a new DD...

So don't be a part of that crowd. You think Nasioc is populated by Preists? There are negative stigma's surrounding every enthusiast crowd. Look at VW and the Vortex. Honda and Civicnation. Ford and rednecks. And the majority of people, non-enthusiasts, don't care. I've never once heard my mother say "jeez, that guy is a prick because he drives a BMW".

It seems ridiculous to me that you'd avoid a brand based solely on the attitudes of other owners. Screw them.

I've often thought about building a track car when I get the time and money. I'd definitely do so on an E30 chassis. You can do phase 1 and phase 2 of your project plans with one car! Suspension, looks, and 30+ mpg until you decide what you want to do. And an LS V8 for when you want to do big power. Plus, it's RWD!

But, it's your own choice.

If you are looking for something quick, I'd probably look at something like a used Mazda 3. They are a little above your budget, but a base model 3 is a pretty fun car to drive.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So don't be a part of that crowd. You think Nasioc is populated by Preists? There are negative stigma's surrounding every enthusiast crowd. Look at VW and the Vortex. Honda and Civicnation. Ford and rednecks. And the majority of people, non-enthusiasts, don't care. I've never once heard my mother say "jeez, that guy is a prick because he drives a BMW".

It seems ridiculous to me that you'd avoid a brand based solely on the attitudes of other owners. Screw them.

I've often thought about building a track car when I get the time and money. I'd definitely do so on an E30 chassis. You can do phase 1 and phase 2 of your project plans with one car! Suspension, looks, and 30+ mpg until you decide what you want to do. And an LS V8 for when you want to do big power. Plus, it's RWD!

But, it's your own choice.

If you are looking for something quick, I'd probably look at something like a used Mazda 3. They are a little above your budget, but a base model 3 is a pretty fun car to drive.

As much as I dont like BMW owners, its not actually my primary reason for not getting one lol. If I had the money, I might buy a 335. But the car you are suggesting does not fit what I am looking for, which is a hatchback, simple as that.

Mazda 3 isnt a bad idea, but I would be pissed just knowing I didnt get the Mazdaspeed when it's an available option (although out of my price range).

If it's out of your price range, then it's not an available option. That'd be the car I'd get if I HAD to have a hatch and had a budget.

Or, more realistically, I'd look for an old diesel VW Golf.

I really wanted a TDI for a while. But the Golf TDI's are not nearly as common as the Jetta TDI's. Also, they still go for about $8-9k with well over 100k miles.

All I meant by that is I want to the highest car in a lineup if I can help it. I wouldnt buy a Legacy if a Legacy GT is an option. I wont buy a Mazda 3 when a Speed 3 exists. I dont want a Focus when an SVT is available. Just how I am, call me stubborn.

I agree with you. It's always a good idea to get the big stick model.

But when you are stuck behind a hard budget, getting something cheap where you can revel in the deal you got, is gratifying as well.

I had no idea people were selling old Golf TDI's for 9k. That's too high.

^Old golf TDI are STUPID overinflated now. Have been for a little while. I am also with you on reveling in the "DEAL". When a "deal" feels more like a "steal" and turns out perfect you know you did good. That pretty much never happens with running "big stick" models right?

I dont want a Focus when an SVT is available. Just how I am, call me stubborn.

If its gonna make you miserable to have the ZX3 in the face of the SVT its clear that the savings is only on paper. Savings that = misery are hardly savings :redface:

I can relate. We have a modded LGT not a 2.5i:wub:

Archived