LegacyGT.com

VF52 or BNR 18g

I've been eyeing both as well, pretty sure I've settled on the BNR 18g (non Billet), but until the money has been spent, I can always be convinced otherwise. Will have 750's, Walbro, FMIC, full exhaust work on my 6MT :)

Seems like most consider only the 16g or 68hta worthwhile, but it's your money.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bnr-case-study-review-here-165544.html

but with fewer failures.

:orly:

I'd kind of like to see someone actually put together numbers on this "fewer failures" scenario. Are we just saying fewer total, or fewer by % of failure? Given the number of VF52s out there, I'll believe the former. Based on threads here, I'm unconvinced of the latter.

:orly:

I'd kind of like to see someone actually put together numbers on this "fewer failures" scenario. Are we just saying fewer total, or fewer by % of failure? Given the number of VF52s out there, I'll believe the former. Based on threads here, I'm unconvinced of the latter.

Agree with you. I think the VF52's are more reliable than first-gen BNR turbos. Very, very few VF52 failures on this forum.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

lgtgirl, I thought that the reason the VF52 was popular was because it's a simple bolt-on turbo that can be used with LGT TMICs. Since you have a FMIC and aren't limited to turbos with a flange for the TMIC, why did you choose the VF52? Aren't there STI style turbos around the same price that offer better performance?

lgtgirl, I thought that the reason the VF52 was popular was because it's a simple bolt-on turbo that can be used with LGT TMICs. Since you have a FMIC and aren't limited to turbos with a flange for the TMIC, why did you choose the VF52? Aren't there STI style turbos around the same price that offer better performance?

Well the reason I went with the VF52 is because its a bolt up. I blew my VF40 at a bad time($$) and still needed to be able to fix it quickly without all the down time of all the modifications. I have had the FMIC for a while now with the stock turbo. I wanted to upgrade. Since I blew the VF40 I thought we might as well upgrade rather than going with the same thing. I am very happy with the tune EFI gave me and the #s.

Sounds like the VF52 came before the FMIC and that's why the LGT fitment was needed. That's the way I interpret it.

The FMIC came long before the VF52. I knew the VF52 would bolt right up. I didn't do much shopping before my choice of turbos.

I thought she was saying that she had the FMIC with the stock VF40, and when time came for a quick upgrade, she went with a VF52 instead of say, a VF22.

Yeah, not sure that I once I re-read it. Maybe she bought the racerx fmic when she had the vf40 and got the LGT fitment, and then just stuck with that.

the only problem with that route is the loss of ground clearence the pips are down about an inch, but the alternitive of going where the fog lights were is pretty sucky also.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

so the VF52 compares better to the BNR 16g. I know my 5eat eats my power, but i'm looking for a daily driver that will hall ass off the line and from a 30 roll, beyond that i don't care. id like spool in the low to mid 3000's not 4000+ cruising at 70 i'm just shy of 3000rpm which is a throttle tap away from boost and take off. I like that and want to keep that.

so the VF52 compares better to the BNR 16g. I know my 5eat eats my power, but i'm looking for a daily driver that will hall ass off the line and from a 30 roll, beyond that i don't care. id like spool in the low to mid 3000's not 4000+ cruising at 70 i'm just shy of 3000rpm which is a throttle tap away from boost and take off. I like that and want to keep that.

Then your decision should focus on the VF52 or BNR16G. Both great turbos, can't go wrong. Slight edge to BNR16G for top-end power and slight edge to VF52 in reliability.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

The AVO pumps are pricey, but generally the people who use them cite better reliability over the Walbro:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fuel-pumps-whos-sucki-165179.html

Tell that to EFI. The AVO pump I got was BAD. I got it with the housing. It was wobbling in the housing and was loosing pressure. Bad! They Fail in my book.

Archived