LegacyGT.com

VF52 or BNR 18g

VF52 or BNR 18g? Currently maxed my stock turbo out and it doesn't hold boost very well at top end. EFI logics have recommended either turbo with 740injectors & walbro 255. Goal is 300whp and over 300wtq. What are the thoughts

I have the BNR 18g billet, it is about 40 whp more then my stage 2 with stock turbo, big difference! This build: DW 740 side feed, Avo TMIC, Crawford oil air separator, Avo fuel pump, 3' exhaust. turbo blanket, Perin light weight crank, defi racer boost and oil pressure in cubby, and of course the BNR 18g billet with upgraded actuator and forced performance oil line. I added a vibrant race cat, due to droning. My peak power only had a 15 foot lb increase to 255, but I got about 40 ft lb increase through the whole power band. Keep in mind that I have 5EAT, and this dyno reads low with no correction factors, compared to most out there.

1959640546_IMG_0595copy.jpg.f9c6a12c22b8e6a782de769dd635b6b6.jpg

Well - assuming you buy new you're looking at:

VF52 =~ $1,200

DW 740's ($550 plus $160 rebate back for your injectors from DW)

Walbo 255 - $90 with install kit

Importimage had these prices for the kit:

05-06 legacy gt sidefeed combo

1x VF52 turbocharger

1x dw 740cc injectors (they get $160 back from dw cores)

1x walbro gss342 pump high pressure

$1554 + shipping

This is the link - the thread is old but you can contact them, or Fredbeans perhaps for a package as well.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vf52-turbocharger-packages-injectors-fuel-pump-ready-bolt-and-save-138047.html

You can find all of these used if you serach and are will to go that route. The VF52's will go anywhere from $650-$750 used. If you're patient and search here and Nasioc.

If you're going to get tuned at EFI then can send you a based map to load up - stay out of boost and you'll be fine. They can also install for you and tune. Although I believe they're not big fans of modifying the Walbro and recommend the AVO which is pretty much just a drop in but is more around $250 range.

If you're going to get tuned at EFI then can send you a based map to load up - stay out of boost and you'll be fine. They can also install for you and tune. Although I believe they're not big fans of modifying the Walbro and recommend the AVO which is pretty much just a drop in but is more around $250 range.

NO NO NO! They HATE the AVO. I was having issues with the Walbro that came with the combo and bought the AVO and it was loosing fuel pressure on the dyno so they installed a Walbro for me there. They have had a braket made for them for the Walbro. DO NOT go with AVO. EFI will tell you that. :)

thanks for all the input, im going to try and score a VF 52 from a buddy that works in their Jersey warehouse, or my buddy who is a service manager at Lynne's subaru. do all vendors selling DW have the core refund?

im now debating swapping my IPR tmic to the racerx since im swapping turbo. But then I think fmic, means i can change to an sti style turbo. Which turbo do i do then for a 300/300 goal? with hopes of 300whp/ 325ishwtq.

Any suggestions for that route?

My 5eat will be getting the new valve body mod shortly, and new tranny cooler this week. With eventual plans of the new bushing for the center diff.

Didn't realize they hate the AVO. When I was there that's what they had recommended.

Anyway, just as an FYI the Racer X can be bought to support an STI style turbo or LGT. If you're goal is 300/325 the VF52 can certainly get you with the mods you're looking. Not sure if you absolutely need a FMIC but it will certainly avoid some of the heatsoak you'd get with the TMIC.

Like all builds, if you think you're going to want to continue to build it out from there you may want to consider some different Turbos. Really depends on budget and how and where you're going to drive your car. For me, as a DD that's alot of Highway I love the HP/Torque curve of the VF52. It's there when you want and need it :)

good to know, darn you and your MT.

;)

Didn't realize they hate the AVO. When I was there that's what they had recommended.

Anyway, just as an FYI the Racer X can be bought to support an STI style turbo or LGT. If you're goal is 300/325 the VF52 can certainly get you with the mods you're looking. Not sure if you absolutely need a FMIC but it will certainly avoid some of the heatsoak you'd get with the TMIC.

Like all builds, if you think you're going to want to continue to build it out from there you may want to consider some different Turbos. Really depends on budget and how and where you're going to drive your car. For me, as a DD that's alot of Highway I love the HP/Torque curve of the VF52. It's there when you want and need it :)

Yeah, they stopped recommending them because of their failure rate. Plus they are very pricey.

yea im DD, i love the driveability of the VF52 hopefully i can find a nice price, because that BNR 18g at at 725.00 is a good gig.

Would the 18g be a better choice if going FMIC?

No comparison here. VF52 is far better than the BNR18G. Will spool ~800rpms sooner and make the same power as the BNR18G. Documented on this forum in 2 different threads (both use same tuner, same dyno.) The VF52 is a solid, very fun turbo. I loved mine. I also like my BNR68. More power, slower spool.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived