LegacyGT.com

Annoying squeaks from Koni/Epic springs setup

JohnSoPA

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now five days. Third day I was getting an odd sound out of the right rear though. I'm not sure if it's the spring, swaybar, or corner mounted sub making it though. Changed from Rallitek to Kartboy swaybar endlinks at the same time, and the sub is still unbolted so there are a lot of possible causes. Whatever it is isn’t too loud though, only notice it at slow speeds over rough terrain (downtown roads) with the radio off.

• 6 months later...

I have the Kony/Epic set up with 3000 miles. Car was recently delivered from NY to Miami (for school/work).

While the car was in NY for the first 2000 miles of the set up it was silent. And for the first 500 miles in Miami it was silent, but in the last 6 weeks / the most recent 500 miles it has been squeaking while driving slowly in the parking garage where I live.

It is the spring coils rubbing against each other under compression. We see it on almost all of the Epics + Konis we've installed. Now we install rubber tubing on the coils of the springs to prevent this. We've had very good success with this.

-mike

Is it possible that this sound, that you say is the Spring coils rubbing, could have been silent for 2500 miles (or possibly more), and only now made an appearance?

And is it possible that it could be any other bushing on my car making the noise?

Is it possible to install the home depot wire loom while the springs are on the koni's?

Like if I was to jack the car up, and take the tire off, could I wrap the top of the spring with the wire loom or is that impossible?

Archived