LegacyGT.com

loosing oil inexplicably

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have been reading alot about dealership not wanted to fix anything under warranty. they just give u the runaround untell the warranty expires or the car blows up. and then u have to prove u did all the maintenance. is that common for a subaru dealership?

As long as you have receipts to prove proper maintenance, Subaru will generally work in your favor. That even includes if you do your own oil/fluid changes. Just make sure you hold on to the receipts from auto part stores that show the type of fluids you purchased, Subaru can compare mileage with the times you purchased oil/filters or other maintenance items.

the stealerships tend to charge subaru for the work that has never been done on the cars .. then when you take your car in for actual work the dealer doesn't want to because they skimmed that money off already and spent it on drugs or what ever.!!!!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Did you sign anything when you received the car?

When I walked in to service desk, they recognized me immediately and told me "Go straight to the register, she has your keys and paperwork, oh and you know about your clutch and wheel bearing?" That's when I stopped cold and said "you guys just did the clutch a year ago! What's wrong with the clutch?" Told me "its bad" I walked away pissed. I signed nothing when I picked up the car.

Contact SOA and let them know they lied on the paperwork. SOA needs to know this.

We have seen a few turbos with the seals go bad causing these kind of oil consumption issues.

Our usual MO is to do a compression test this will rule out internal issues. For some reason that's not in the dealer playbook though.

Anyway, if you need any service feel free to get in touch. We are at exit 138 on the gsp.

Mike

It will show if the valves and rings are leaking. If you have low compression in a cylinder, most likely number 4, then you can bet it is blowby causing the issue. Likely would be the ring land as is very common when oil consumption is happening on a 05-07 lgt.

Mike

^^^ +1, & to add, if you go a little further, once you did the compression check. You can put some oil in the low cylinders. I like to crank the motor over to spread the oil around & retest. If compression goes up, your problem is in the rings & pistons. If it don't the problem in your heads, valve, seats & steam seals.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

When I walked in to service desk, they recognized me immediately and told me "Go straight to the register, she has your keys and paperwork, oh and you know about your clutch and wheel bearing?" That's when I stopped cold and said "you guys just did the clutch a year ago! What's wrong with the clutch?" Told me "its bad" I walked away pissed. I signed nothing when I picked up the car.

At least you didn't sign that you did confirm the paperwork about the car that you declined replacement. That can be an important issue.

As for worn clutch - if it isn't slipping and it has proper play then they don't actually have a clue about it's condition so essentially you can tell them to stick that opinion into a place where the sun never shines.

Bad wheel bearing - that seems to be very early for a '09 so I doubt that, and if you don't have vibrations or a funny noise then you can wait.

Really sounds like they are trying to screw you over.

However there is one possible alternate place where you may lose oil, and that's the rear seal of the engine. If that leaks then the clutch is probably slipping too, and you will get oil on the driveway, so it's not a hidden problem.

453747.png

It will show if the valves and rings are leaking. If you have low compression in a cylinder, most likely number 4, then you can bet it is blowby causing the issue. Likely would be the ring land as is very common when oil consumption is happening on a 05-07 lgt.

Mike

Pardon the ignorance, Doesn't it cause a misfire when the ring land on cylinder 4 disintegrates?

Not necessarily. I didn't have any misfires on my #4 ringland failure. I don't even know how long it had been that way. I had low compression and consumed 1Q every 700 miles, yet it dynoed fine and had no misfire or other CEL codes...

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1(2971)| T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Not necessarily. I didn't have any misfires on my #4 ringland failure. I don't even know how long it had been that way. I had low compression and consumed 1Q every 700 miles, yet it dynoed fine and had no misfire or other CEL codes...

-mike

Yup

http://notajetta.com/lgt/engine/IMG_4444.JPG

No lights, no running issues, even pulled fairly hard:

http://notajetta.com/lgt/engine/IMG_4447.JPG

Hard enough to do that anyhow.

Didn't smoke that much really, intercooler wasn't dry but wasn't full of oil.

Only real sign? 1qt every 500mi :eek:

Well and #2 and #4 putting out ~100psi (2 was actually like 120 iirc). It ran for ~30k like this until I blew 3rd gear and figfured what the hell.

This is why a compression and leakdown is so vital on a used 2.5. I could have left it as is (pre blown 3rd), topped up the oil, and sold it to anyone and they wouldn't have known until a few fillups.

I gotta get around to complaining to SOA, gotta find who to complain to etc, but mainly, I'm in a tight spot with cash because our landlord decided it was time to evict everyone so he can put up a cvs and strip mall... That and that I might be in need of a clutch (sense my excitement?) since out was done 20k ago... So, wife's car was hit by a jerk with a baseball bat and then someone backs into her. Rough couple of days.

Mike

I'm curious about this comment - have the '08-'09s not shown the same #4 ringland failure tendency? I'm consuming some oil, probably around 1qt every ~2-2.5k, although the consumption rate seems fairly dependent on how I drive.

Yup

No lights, no running issues, even pulled fairly hard:

Hard enough to do that anyhow.

Didn't smoke that much really, intercooler wasn't dry but wasn't full of oil.

Only real sign? 1qt every 500mi :eek:

Well and #2 and #4 putting out ~100psi (2 was actually like 120 iirc). It ran for ~30k like this until I blew 3rd gear and figfured what the hell.

This is why a compression and leakdown is so vital on a used 2.5. I could have left it as is (pre blown 3rd), topped up the oil, and sold it to anyone and they wouldn't have known until a few fillups.

Exactly!

-mike

I'm curious about this comment - have the '08-'09s not shown the same #4 ringland failure tendency? I'm consuming some oil, probably around 1qt every ~2-2.5k, although the consumption rate seems fairly dependent on how I drive.

Shops I've spoken too seem to think that 08-09 rings are even worse.

:eek:def. some good advice in here! guys i recently brought my car to dealer for a noise i was hearing in front driver side. On way to dealer, saw oil light flicker, ugh, made it to dealer and told them i needed an oil change immediately an that i saw the oil light come on. Also stated i noticed its been eating up oil a bit more since last oil change i had to add a quart. Long story short, the techs drove the car (i dont know how long of a drive it was) to hear the sound i complained of before doing the oil change! They told the manager the oil light stayed on during the whole time WTHHH:mad: who would do that!? Anyways slightly venting but need advice...basically they said they did the oil change and the sound i was hearing went away, strange to me, cause my dad and i heard it in fact he rode next to me on a bicycle to hear it and we thought it was cv joint related etc so they claim it could have been from having lack of oil...the sound was more upon deceleration at low speed like a clunking...anyways, car is in the shop since they recommended an engine flush another oil change and to keep an eye on it from there and later decide on tearing the engine apart etc or to rebuild sorry so long may start a new thread :confused:

edit: they stated after doing oil change in the oil was what seemed like metal flakes

Are you still under warranty?

It sounds like you may have a bad piston ringland, very common on 05/06 LGTs.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1(2971)| T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived