LegacyGT.com

Do I have to reset the ECU after new coil packs?

Nochance

I just had one replaced because it was melted. The CEls are gone now, but the car still idles rough. The mechanic called Subaru because he wasn't sure if it was a map issue. He told me that they said I'd have to reset the ECU to stock so the car can learn the new part. Then after about 100 miles I can change the map to whatever I desire.

Kind of puzzled here because I wasn't aware that we could do that. I was under the impression to always use the correct map. Going stock would throw everything out of wack, no?

Car drives fine on the open road, but it's rough at redlights and anywhere else it's idle. I reset the ECU and reflashed my PDX maps. Will this issue resolve it self? Because I've also noticed about a 4 MPG dip in my mileage.

Also just throwing it out there... I need an oil change, not sure if that could be playing a role.

I kind of figured it when he mentioned our engines being used in Porsche. Just shook my head in agreement. I plan on having GTTuner install some parts and he did my stage 2 install flawlessly so ill wait for his input. But in the meantime is there anything to be concerned about? Maybe its just engine resonance. :-/

My suggestion? It doesn't sound like you're really modded, I'd go back to stock and get your car sorted out. It's hard to move forward if you can't get a solid base state to work from. Coil packs melting is NOT normal, related to oil, or to your map. I am also quite certain that your mechanic did not talk to Subaru and have them tell him after 100 miles to flash whatever map you want. Subaru will tell you not to modify the car or ECU in any way outside of SPT parts installed by a dealership.

My suggestion? It doesn't sound like you're really modded, I'd go back to stock and get your car sorted out. It's hard to move forward if you can't get a solid base state to work from. Coil packs melting is NOT normal, related to oil, or to your map. I am also quite certain that your mechanic did not talk to Subaru and have them tell him after 100 miles to flash whatever map you want. Subaru will tell you not to modify the car or ECU in any way outside of SPT parts installed by a dealership.

I'm currently at stage 2. Car seems to run a little better after I reset the ECU. Average MPG is back to 20.4, maybe I just wasn't aware of a lead foot the past week?? :redface:

Tomorrow I'm going to clean my MAF sensor and air filter for good measure.

I'm currently at stage 2. Car seems to run a little better after I reset the ECU. Average MPG is back to 20.4, maybe I just wasn't aware of a lead foot the past week?? :redface:

Tomorrow I'm going to clean my MAF sensor and air filter for good measure.

Soooo...just a DP? It's normal for the car to idle like crap for the first few miles after resetting the ECU. My idle drops down to 400-450 until the ECU gets used to stuff again.

Archived