LegacyGT.com

Steady VDC + Flashing BRAKE Dash Indicator Lights

I have all VLED 7443's in my break/tail lights with no problems. Your issues a probably unrelated to your LEDs.

Possibly. However I never had the issue until today. The LEDs were installed yesterday.

Haven't touched the braking system or tires/rims since my 30K service was done 7K miles ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Possibly. However I never had the issue until today. The LEDs were installed yesterday.

Haven't touched the braking system or tires/rims since my 30K service was done 7K miles ago.

Did you read the trouble code yet?

Thx for the extra detail. I still feel its the brake LEDs. Mine did the same thing (VLEDs and SuperBrightLEDs). We don't need the CAN-bus 'safe' bulbs but the specs of even their strong LEDs are such that they will throw the "high voltage" codes.

Shutting the engine and ignition off causes this 'minor' DTC to clear but it will come back after some time driving again. Especially at night (when you have the lights, including tails on) and after repeated breaking, or stop-n-go traffic. This causes the DTC to register in memory 2-3+ times and trigger the CELs.

I did this mod too with the same issues. It turned out to be the brake LEDs, no matter what brand.

Another note, my rear running lights are still LED and no problems there after thousands of kms. Turn signals didn't trigger a code, but I switched back to stock when my flasher unit borked.

I've confirmed it's the brake LEDs. I purchased these...

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-led/red-led/red-7443-21-led-brake-turn-signal-7440-bulbs-1-pair.html

I switched my brake lights back to stock for the drive home from work and received no errors. Kinda weak if you ask me. Wasn't expecting the behavior. I guess I'll be throwing the LEDs up on the classifieds.

I've confirmed it's the brake LEDs. I purchased these...

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-led/red-led/red-7443-21-led-brake-turn-signal-7440-bulbs-1-pair.html

I switched my brake lights back to stock for the drive home from work and received no errors. Kinda weak if you ask me. Wasn't expecting the behavior. I guess I'll be throwing the LEDs up on the classifieds.

Email vleds and describe to them your problem.

I've had the non-CK version of these in my brake/tail lights (4 bulbs) for almost a year with no issues whatsoever.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-led/red-led/platinum-red-7-watt-high-power-20-led-brake-light-bulbs-7443-ck-type-base-1-pair.html

Thx. These 7W CKs likely draw more current than faded's 5W set below. Probably just enough (especially if you've done the quad-stop light mod) to not trigger the DTCs he's getting. Got any day/nighttime pics at both intensities (with and without the brake applied?)

How do you like them?

I've confirmed it's the brake LEDs. I purchased these... http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-led/red-led/red-7443-21-led-brake-turn-signal-7440-bulbs-1-pair.html I switched my brake lights back to stock for the drive home from work and received no errors. Kinda weak if you ask me. Wasn't expecting the behavior. I guess I'll be throwing the LEDs up on the classifieds.
Nice ones. Its the nature of the beast. Our and most cars are not designed for LEDs so the ECU and electrical system hamburger helpers go haywire with most even latest gen LEDs. Not really a fault of the LEDs themselves (they are fine) or the car (also fine) just the way the two don't vibe too well when combined.

Notice how the ones you got have a very low current draw. Current Draw: 340mA, even though they are rated at a reasonably high (for LED car bulbs) 5W? I bet that's the source of the DTCs.

I should mention, I converted my trunk tail lights (7440 bulbs) to brake lights (7443 bulbs) by connecting them to the unused connector for the trunk spoiler stop light (which I don't have). I also connected a 12" red LED strip to them that I mounted above the license plate. When I press the brake pedal, the rear is lit up light a Christmas tree. Maybe having that extra load on the circuit is keeping me from getting a CEL.

Thx. These 7W CKs likely draw more current than faded's 5W set below. Probably just enough (especially if you've done the quad-stop light mod) to not trigger the DTCs he's getting. Got any day/nighttime pics at both intensities (with and without the brake applied?)

How do you like them?

Yeah, I did that mod and I love it. they're so bright with the brake that they're even brighter than the reverse lights. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Cool! Can you give us any tips/links to a how-to? I saw the extra harness when I had the trunk trim off to install the bulbs but didn't wire anything up just yet or replace the 7440 sockets with 7443s.

I've read up more on the CK vs non-CK socket wiring. I think this might very well be our issue with LED stop/brake bulbs. There are some How-Tos online how to either re-wire a CK to a standard socket or a non-CK bulb to work with a CK socket.

I'm going to try the bulb route with my stop/brakes becuase I like the bulbs I have.

Would explain why we're getting the X-mass dash lights.

Check this out:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3872690&postcount=182

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-199906.html

Sooooo, are the Legacy 7443 sockets the CK spec or the standard spec? If they are standard, would it not be very simple to rewire them to the CK configuration, by just swapping a ground lead and a power lead, so that CK bulbs could be used.

Sooooo, are the Legacy 7443 sockets the CK spec or the standard spec? If they are standard, would it not be very simple to rewire them to the CK configuration, by just swapping a ground lead and a power lead, so that CK bulbs could be used.
Yep. Still unconfirmed (unless someone has checked already and can chime in) but yes, seems like our stop/brake sockets are CK (gotta love Subaru). Either re-wire the socket or hack-wire the bulbs or pickup a set of CK bulbs.

I've got a set of regular 7443 LEDs and will attempt to modify the bulbs first to behave like CK bulbs. If that fails, I'll pickup a set of proper CKs.

I want to leave the socket OEM for now. Although converting it to the standard 7443 setup sounds tempting.

I've had the non-CK version of these in my brake/tail lights (4 bulbs) for almost a year with no issues whatsoever.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/7443-7440-led/red-led/platinum-red-7-watt-high-power-20-led-brake-light-bulbs-7443-ck-type-base-1-pair.html

Sounds like nstg8r can tell us. If he used non-CK bulbs and didn't modify the bulbs or sockets, then we are not CK.

The brake lights are definitely standard 7443 sockets, not CK sockets.

Btw, 7440 is a single circuit socket, 7443 is a dual circuit (High/low) socket.

The tail lights are standard 7443 sockets, but are missing the wire for the high voltage circuit. Because of the design though (they're not typical 7443 sockets), it's real easy to convert them. Here's the link...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-tail-lights-trunk-lid-145743.html

A couple more notes:

7443 LEDs are polarity sensitive, make sure you install them correctly.

Also, one thing I did differently than the OP of the link; I used one wire to connect one socket directly to the other. Then I used a second wire and splice connectors to connect the 1st wire to the unused (or used if you have an OEM spoiler) 3rd brake light wire. Obviously, connect it to the hot wire, not the ground.

The brake lights are definitely standard 7443 sockets, not CK sockets.

Btw, 7440 is a single circuit socket, 7443 is a dual circuit (High/low) socket.

The tail lights are standard 7443 sockets, but are missing the wire for the high voltage circuit. Because of the design though (they're not typical 7443 sockets), it's real easy to convert them. Here's the link...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-tail-lights-trunk-lid-145743.html

A couple more notes:

7443 LEDs are polarity sensitive, make sure you install them correctly.

Also, one thing I did differently than the OP of the link; I used one wire to connect one socket directly to the other. Then I used a second wire and splice connectors to connect the 1st wire to the unused (or used if you have an OEM spoiler) 3rd brake light wire. Obviously, connect it to the hot wire, not the ground.

I tried this mod today guys and can't find the right wire to splice into. I don't have a wing and trunk third brake light but I think I see the right (empty) socket. Thing is it only has two wires leading to it, black and brown or purple looking. Not BLUE like quoted above.

This wire and socket and taped to the passanger side rear tail light under the trunk cover.

Is this what I tap? which wire? or if something else can you help me locate it?

I have everything else lined up. pre-crimbed 18 gauge wires, connectors, splicer clips, 7443 LEDs for the secondary lights in the trunk.

I tried this mod today guys and can't find the right wire to splice into. I don't have a wing and trunk third brake light but I think I see the right (empty) socket. Thing is it only has two wires leading to it, black and brown or purple looking. Not BLUE like quoted above.

This wire and socket and taped to the passanger side rear tail light under the trunk cover.

Is this what I tap? which wire? or if something else can you help me locate it?

I have everything else lined up. pre-crimbed 18 gauge wires, connectors, splicer clips, 7443 LEDs for the secondary lights in the trunk.

That is the correct harness (R66). Brown is +V, black is ground. Tap into the brown wire.

48. Stop Light System.pdf

That is the correct harness (R66). Brown is +V, black is ground. Tap into the brown wire.
Thx! I took a risk (figured it can't be the black wire) and tapped into the brown before being able to read the replies. Worked like a charm! Love this quick mod, should be like this from the factory. I copied your wiring idea (nice and clean) too!

• 1 month later...
Thx! I took a risk (figured it can't be the black wire) and tapped into the brown before being able to read the replies. Worked like a charm! Love this quick mod, should be like this from the factory. I copied your wiring idea (nice and clean) too!

Perscitus, are you still getting the DTCs when using brake light LEDs and stop light mod?

Perscitus, are you still getting the DTCs when using brake light LEDs and stop light mod?
Sadly, yes and I've even switched to those VLEDa Platinum v2 bulbs. I need to install some resistors. Managed to read a few codes with Torque. All generic and benign. CANbus going crazy. I'll post up the codes soon.

Archived