LegacyGT.com

glowing up pipe

still, i can have the pipe replaces for free right now and then change to a catless when i get a chance, and who knows, there could be a TSB to change it to the newer non-catted up pipe. which would still be covered by them because of the 8/80k catalyst warrantee

I didn't get from your earlier posts that the dealer was willing to replace the UP.

They may or may not agree to swap a catless item for you when federal law most likely forbids it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A red-hot glowing cat is an indication of unburnt fuel ending up in the cat so do yourself a favor and also check that you have ignition on all cylinders. A dead coil or so will ruin the rest of the cat system too.

I have experienced that on my first Legacy - a '92 where the ignition control box failed making the engine run on only 2 cylinders. Luckily I was just around the corner from home so I could get it home and fix the box.

its definatly firing on all cylinders, im pretty sure the cat is blocked up, i don't smell any un burnt fuel from the exhaust and i have no CEL and my MPG was good. i haven't driven it or even started it since thursday night and i am not driving it until i take it to the dealer

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

Soon after BNR 16G, Infamous Tune

I still want you to double-check that - and for any stuck injectors that may be causing improper fuel balance. The fact that you don't smell unburnt fuel isn't really a telltale until all cats are dead.
453747.png

it was running fine until the EGT put it into limp mode and the Cat was glowing...if its the cat SOA will cover it, if it isn't, i have a 3rd party warrantee....so i am covered either way, im just not driving it incase it is the cat, i don't want it to break apart

2006 Legacy GT 5EAT Perrin UP, SPT CAI, OBXR CBE, Catless DP, Perrin TMIC, Stage 2 AP tune

If it is the cat I highly recommend replacing with a used STi or catless Legacy up pipe. I made the mistake of installing two Invidia catless up pipes both of which cracked right around the flange by the exhaust mainifold after about 8-10k miles each causing major stink and boost leaks.

If it is the cat I highly recommend replacing with a used STi or catless Legacy up pipe. I made the mistake of installing two Invidia catless up pipes both of which cracked right around the flange by the exhaust mainifold after about 8-10k miles each causing major stink and boost leaks.

i have an STi one on the way from a member here. i just need the car back up and running, i really don't trust the camaro, so i'll bring it to the dealer, there are going to give me a loaner car and i'm gonna bring my warrantee card and hopefully its either the cat which will be on SOA or something else which will be on my warantee minus the 100 dollar deductable. if they have to replace it with a catted up then thats ok for now and i will put the catless one i have coming when i get a chance

would the fact that the pipe got that hot and the EGT read it that the computer would pull timing and the car would have NO POWER unless i use manual shift mode and not hit boost....when this happened the turbo spooled to wastegate boost steady but no power, so i guess that would be Limp Mode?

im gonna tell my service guy that I think its the cat and if it is to replace it under the 8/80k and im gonna give him my warantee card in case its something else. but im pretty sure its the cat because the car was running fine otherwise

the cat will only glow if its stopped up or your dumping fuel like crazy. they should definately replace the cat but like everyone else says, make sure to have the engine checked properly. they will say they did but i'm sure they won't. keep out a keen ear for the next few weeks.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

oh yeah definatly, i'll explain to them what is going on and let them know that to make sure its definatly the cat before putting a new one in there, but all fingers point to a clogged cat with the way the car runs other than this issue. I am fairly confident that its the cat and if i didn't need the car i would just wait on it and put the cat-less in, but i can't afford it right now

So you will all be happy to know that the stupid dealership could not find anything wrong and could not duplicate the problem. so needless to say im going catless on the up pipe tomorrow

awesome. its places like that that make us dealer techs look bad. i hate it. sometimes we legitimately cant duplicate the concern but usually w/ something that's covered under warranty we will go ahead and throw a part at it anyways.

awesome. its places like that that make us dealer techs look bad. i hate it. sometimes we legitimately cant duplicate the concern but usually w/ something that's covered under warranty we will go ahead and throw a part at it anyways.

Amen, the techs tend to catch a bad rep when most of the time it is the service managers call.

[

yes, there are many more "not-so-good" technicians than there are good ones. and unfortunately in the technician world the more you know, the less money you make.

If you know enough and do a good job you will get returning customers. And you will also get a word of mouth advertising.

If you run a shop that costs money for customers and aren't able to find the fault then you soon end up as one of those places where people only send their cars for simple no-brainer jobs that can be done by any random gorilla.

453747.png

im not knocking the techs but i told the guy he had to drive for like 15 or 20 and kind of be aggressive with it miles and they only drive it 9, so of course its not gonna do it, i blame the service writer more than the techs

no not like an ass.....i did one WOT pull from 20 to about 85 and drove the rest of the way at 50.....it should not get that hot just from that....and by the way that was about 10 miles before that happened

You might have the start of a failing cat... You may just have to wait till it gets worse to get it fixed by warranty.

The techs can't spend 30 min driving your car around, they have cars with reproducible problems to fix.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived