LegacyGT.com

syntetic to standard

I switched my old Forester over to 15W50. It started consuming a little oil, so I just kept going thicker until it stopped. It took a LONG time to fill it up.

In hind sight, I should have just used thinner oil and then just top it off. I'd never have to actually change the oil. It would replace itself every few thousand miles!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
I switched my old Forester over to 15W50. It started consuming a little oil, so I just kept going thicker until it stopped. It took a LONG time to fill it up.

In hind sight, I should have just used thinner oil and then just top it off. I'd never have to actually change the oil. It would replace itself every few thousand miles!

That's what my brother did for a while on his 01 Forester. He ran 10w30 and never changed the oil in like 10k+, because it used a quart every 500 mi, so he had new oil in there every 2-3k.

We ended up swapping in an engine from an 06 Baja with 34k last month. No oil use now. But, the coolant was brown and filmy when I drained it... :lol:

Personally I just dig down into the earth until oil start shooting up then put it into my car.... But no really, This is a good thread, lots of information, but i remember reading somewhere that Subaru engine and Mobil oils were not a good mix... But that was all probably hear say

• 2 weeks later...

...so, on mixing different breands of oil . . . no oil is the worst, and if you are really low on oil, your oil will heat up and degrade quicker (we all know this).. the only possible danger from mixing different brands (even worse with viscosity) is the modifiers and additives could (not likely) have poor interactions.. Like, mixing medications..LOL.. a while back, in a different car, i added about a quart (in an Acura, but none the less) of 10-30wDino (dont remember what brand) to 5-30w Mobil Synth, and I could actually see the two oil layers on my dipstick, the next day, like 500miles later. I dont know if this could have been a real issue, but i sure as hell couldnt be driving in Arizona in mid summer short on oil...

The bad chemistry from mixing all those additives isn't as bad as it sounds, but it could happen...

As far as doing 10,000 miles on the same oil... just because the oil is still good and not broken down, it doesn't mean that it isn't filling up with metal from your motor and other contaminates. You can only suspend so much garbage in 5 quarts of oil... just my two pennies

Archived