LegacyGT.com

Solution to remove over-torqued lug nuts

a.lim

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have pad build up. Not warped rotors.

There is a ton of misinformation about rotor warping on the internet. I have pics of me racing where my rotors are glowing red in the pix. They never warped. Used for many races afterward.

For all intents and purposes rotors do not warp. Not on street cars. 99.99% of driver complaints about shimmy are not from warping. It is pad material build up. Simply clean and re-bed. Then check your LCA bushings..

Last time i had warping issues was with my original rotors on my 05 LGT. Dealer told me Subaru rotors get warped all the time and there was nothing I can do to prevent it. But then again, my master mechanic friends say 99% of the dealerships are full of sht. :lol:

why was it being called for him to replace the studs because of this?

i had a similar situation where my wheel locks would not come off and the key got snapped. rest of the lugs came off fine, just not the locks. the shop i use had a socket with "spikes" (kinda like a spline key) that they hammered over the lock and were able to get it off that way.

His were over torqued. Which causes the stud to stretch, weaken and possible strip. He was advised to replace due to the multitude of issues that can result from over torquing lug nuts.

Dealerships are parts changers. They dont fix anything. They just keep changing parts until the customer stops complaining. Remember Michael brought his car in and was told it was his tune (2.5i) and that he needed a new ECU? All he needed was a new wheel bearing.

LGT rotors are not warping. It is pad deposits.

His were over torqued. Which causes the stud to stretch, weaken and possible strip. He was advised to replace due to the multitude of issues that can result from over torquing lug nuts.

Dealerships are parts changers. They dont fix anything. They just keep changing parts until the customer stops complaining. Remember Michael brought his car in and was told it was his tune (2.5i) and that he needed a new ECU? All he needed was a new wheel bearing.

LGT rotors are not warping. It is pad deposits.

I read Stoptech's article explaining that "warped" rotors are caused by deposits embedded on the surface of the rotor, but I just dont get why my new rotors are vibrating already.. im forced to believe over torquing the lug nuts do cause the rotors to warp. rotors are less than 3 months old and started vibrating about a month ago, which was right about when i took it to the shop where they over tightened the lugs.

Bearings have micro chips inside that report wheel speed to ABS system. Any metal or dirt that works its way into bearing can destroy chip. Seen it happen before.

no they don't. They have a toothed ring and a reluctor sensor.

Rotors rarely warp due to heat. Severe over torquing can cause rotor "warping", but the wheel would most likely be damaged before the rotor would be.

a.lim - it's probably your driving style or a poor selection in brake pads.

I'm surprised you had to weld a nut on to get it off... there are alot of easier ways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^ hammering in a socket to the lock was not an option becuase it would just keep twisting. I stopped by 5 wheel shops and all of them couldnt take it off because either their wheel lock removal tool was too big and would scratch my wheels or they didnt have the tool to take it off. on the 6th shop they finally offered to take it off w/ a weld and guaranteed my wheels would not get scratched.. so i did. i was frustrated and had some money.

and i dont think its my driving style or the pad selection (stoptech pads) thats causing my rotors to warp. for 79,000 miles of driving my brakes have been fine.

no they don't. They have a toothed ring and a reluctor sensor.

Rotors rarely warp due to heat. Severe over torquing can cause rotor "warping", but the wheel would most likely be damaged before the rotor would be.

a.lim - it's probably your driving style or a poor selection in brake pads.

I'm surprised you had to weld a nut on to get it off... there are alot of easier ways.

Subaru made the change in 2005. No documentation of the change was made. Not in any manuals. It took me 2 weeks of contacting Subaru to get through to someone who could somewhat explain what they did and why. I admit my use of "micro chip" is most likely off. But that is how it was explained to me by Subaru.

In essence... Subaru engineers determined that by using standard magnetic pick ups at all 4 wheels an elector magnetic charge of 70 amps was created at each wheel when the vehicle traveled at 70mph. They feared that this energy would interfere with ECU communication. So, they developed a entirely new technology to incorporate ABS sensors and vehicle speed sensors in one package. No longer having a VSS on the tranny of AT cars.

The ABS sensor and wheel bearing assembly work as both ABS and vehicle speed sensors. All 4 must report within a certain variance or the ECU goes nuts. Lose 1 (even if the bearing is still good) and see for yourself.

Subaru made the change in 2005. No documentation of the change was made. Not in any manuals. It took me 2 weeks of contacting Subaru to get through to someone who could somewhat explain what they did and why. I admit my use of "micro chip" is most likely off. But that is how it was explained to me by Subaru.

In essence... Subaru engineers determined that by using standard magnetic pick ups at all 4 wheels an elector magnetic charge of 70 amps was created at each wheel when the vehicle traveled at 70mph. They feared that this energy would interfere with ECU communication. So, they developed a entirely new technology to incorporate ABS sensors and vehicle speed sensors in one package. No longer having a VSS on the tranny of AT cars.

The ABS sensor and wheel bearing assembly work as both ABS and vehicle speed sensors. All 4 must report within a certain variance or the ECU goes nuts. Lose 1 (even if the bearing is still good) and see for yourself.

I can not validate the claims of why or when but I can validate that there is not a tone ring on my 08 LGT. Instead there is a magnetic encoder integrated with/into the front hub unit bearing assembly, then there is the typical ABS senor with wire running from chassis/engine wiring harness down the front strut to the steering knuckle area.

Lots of cars no longer use a cable type speedo with a geared VSS or even a separate VSS, most all makes use the ABS for some or all the ECU and speedometer reading functions.

Subaru manual still states that there is a VSS sensor in the AT tranny. That this reports to TCU and that is how speedo operates. Wrong. Damn book is wrong. No VSS not even digital. ABS computer reports to TCU yes. Chassis codes generated from TCU. But speedo signal is from ABS. Integrated whatever you want to call it in the bearing assembly. Dust, dirt, grease, brake pad and rotor material can all build up and work there way in destroying the "pick up" and causing havoc. No way to test. No way to open. Troubleshoot down and replace.

Archived