LegacyGT.com

Solution to remove over-torqued lug nuts

a.lim

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a.lim

Did you get any of them off yet?

Is that pic of the wheel lock recent as in after they overtightened it?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Yes. Replace all of the studs.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's pretty easy to replace the studs. A few swift hits, and they'll pop out.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm not seeing damage in that pic (or it's just my eyes). With key and a long breaker bar (or cheater bar added) I'm sure they'll come off.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

a.lim

Did you get any of them off yet?

Is that pic of the wheel lock recent as in after they overtightened it?

yupp still stuck. :( i got a letter from the bar today and my complaint is being resolved.

I'm not seeing damage in that pic (or it's just my eyes). With key and a long breaker bar (or cheater bar added) I'm sure they'll come off.

ive tried to get them off with a breaker, but no luck. im easily applying 200+ ft lb of torque on my wrench and it doesnt budge. the grooves on the key are too fragile for the applied stress.. it just snaps.

oh yea btw.. my brand new premium rotors are starting to chatter under high speed braking.. could it be a relevant issue?

ive tried to get them off with a breaker, but no luck. im easily applying 200+ ft lb of torque on my wrench and it doesnt budge. the grooves on the key are too fragile for the applied stress.. it just snaps.

oh yea btw.. my brand new premium rotors are starting to chatter under high speed braking.. could it be a relevant issue?

Yo, have you tried welding a nut on to the lug? My same oem mcgard lock was broken when the shop torqued it down the same way. My buddy had a welder at the time so we weld a nut on to it and easily took it off with a long ratchet. Just take it to any exhaust shop like valley mufflers or something.

Yo, have you tried welding a nut on to the lug? My same oem mcgard lock was broken when the shop torqued it down the same way. My buddy had a welder at the time so we weld a nut on to it and easily took it off with a long ratchet. Just take it to any exhaust shop like valley mufflers or something.

i havent yet. im going to see if a shop can take it off first, if not ill have to resort to this. thanks for the tip though!

You are running a pretty big risk by driving the car like it is. It's not unheard of that over-torqued lugs snap. It happened to someone with a red wagon on this board.

I told you we could get them off and replace the studs. Have tools, welders, everything required. Do it a few times a month. Someone always seems to forget their wheel lock key when they drop off their car, LOL. Getting them off is not a problem. It is putting them back on with out a key that we cant do, LOL.

I got these stupid kinds because my wheel holes are narrow:

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3404/6ba520mz8.jpg

Wondering if you can shed some advice on a type of larger bore key to get them off. I got a few off, but some are starting to strip with the key and I just decided to leave them for now until the summer kicks in where I can clean them with some penetrating solution to get the rust out..

I can't believe a shop actually used a torque gun on one of those...

I had a partially broken wheel key lock myself that happen over the winter in a curb incident, took it in to my local dealer and they had it off in no time.

I told you we could get them off and replace the studs. Have tools, welders, everything required. Do it a few times a month. Someone always seems to forget their wheel lock key when they drop off their car, LOL. Getting them off is not a problem. It is putting them back on with out a key that we cant do, LOL.

i just dont have it in my schedule to drive down there.. if the shop was closer i would be down there asap

can you quote me for taking off two wheel locks and replacing all the studs on the front two wheels?

ok so to update this thread.. i went to a local tire/muffler shop and they got the wheel lock off! they welded on a socket on it and it came off after a couple tries. thanks blklgt05 for that tip!

another thing.. im on new rotors with not even 5k miles on them and im experiencing violet vibrations when braking at high speeds. ive researched around and found that overtorquing causes the rotors to "warp" but there are so many misconceptions about this topic i dont know what to believe.. certainly my only assumption is to believe its true because my rotors started vibrating coupe months ago, which was around the time i took it to the shop.

ok so to update this thread.. i went to a local tire/muffler shop and they got the wheel lock off! they welded on a socket on it and it came off after a couple tries. thanks blklgt05 for that tip!

another thing.. im on new rotors with not even 5k miles on them and im experiencing violet vibrations when braking at high speeds. ive researched around and found that overtorquing causes the rotors to "warp" but there are so many misconceptions about this topic i dont know what to believe.. certainly my only assumption is to believe its true because my rotors started vibrating coupe months ago, which was around the time i took it to the shop.

no problem ;)

@rotors... We all know rotor warping is caused by heat, so a lot of times that has to do with braking style. When I learned to downshift and make habit to brake shorter distances without holding on the brake pedals for too long especially at the light, my rotors seems to stay in good condition until next pad change. I can't really see how the lugnut would have anything to do with the rotor, but either way, the obvious thing to do now is to simply get them resurfaced. If you want to prevent warping, ceramic pads should help.

no problem ;)

@rotors... We all know rotor warping is caused by heat, so a lot of times that has to do with braking style. When I learned to downshift and make habit to brake shorter distances without holding on the brake pedals for too long especially at the light, my rotors seems to stay in good condition until next pad change. I can't really see how the lugnut would have anything to do with the rotor, but either way, the obvious thing to do now is to simply get them resurfaced. If you want to prevent warping, ceramic pads should help.

I disagree. Improper lug nut torque can warp wheels and rotors, IMO. It has been my experience that resurfacing either can not cure warping or it just happens again but at a much faster rate. Besides heat/over use of the brakes. Sticking caliper slides, non-oem spec cheap pads and rotors, collapsing brake hoses can all cause braking issues which lead to warped rotors.

if an impact gun was used to put them on, couldn't an impact gun be used to take them off? If its the mere fact that the impact gun over-torqued them, wouldn't it posses the same power in the opposite direction?

You have pad build up. Not warped rotors.

There is a ton of misinformation about rotor warping on the internet. I have pics of me racing where my rotors are glowing red in the pix. They never warped. Used for many races afterward.

For all intents and purposes rotors do not warp. Not on street cars. 99.99% of driver complaints about shimmy are not from warping. It is pad material build up. Simply clean and re-bed. Then check your LCA bushings..

Archived