LegacyGT.com

lasers could replace spark plugs in engines

25gtrbo

IBAustinPowersReference
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why not? The Internal Combustion Engine is lagging bad in some technological ways. I think camshafts are the next thing to go.....with computer technology you could activate the valves based on an electronic signal rather than some chunk of metal spinning around. It would eliminate a fair amount of drag on the engine and increase HP / efficiency.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Why not? The Internal Combustion Engine is lagging bad in some technological ways. I think camshafts are the next thing to go.....with computer technology you could activate the valves based on an electronic signal rather than some chunk of metal spinning around. It would eliminate a fair amount of drag on the engine and increase HP / efficiency.

Already in the works.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4167805/Electronic-controls-to-replace-camshafts-in-diesel-engines

F1 engines have been using pneumatic valve control systems for some 20 years now. Read more here.

Claims of much improved efficiency are a bit preposterous. Modern engines are already igniting and burning the entire fuel mixture. If anything it would allow more control over timing and give a little wiggle room with leaner mixtures. That being said, if spark plugs were the drawback in terms of modern engine efficiency, one would think every car maker would have copied Alfa Romeo / FIAT Twin Spark engines.

As for me, I use Pulstar or Nology spark plugs and the Tornado Air Supercharger to improve my efficiency and burn more than 100% of the mixture.

As for me, I use Pulstar or Nology spark plugs and the Tornado Air Supercharger to improve my efficiency and burn more than 100% of the mixture.

I've heard good things about this combination.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Claims of much improved efficiency are a bit preposterous. Modern engines are already igniting and burning the entire fuel mixture. If anything it would allow more control over timing and give a little wiggle room with leaner mixtures. That being said, if spark plugs were the drawback in terms of modern engine efficiency, one would think every car maker would have copied Alfa Romeo / FIAT Twin Spark engines.QUOTE]

Ford used a twin spark system on the 2.3l ranger for a while. chrysler uses it on the hemi and new generation 4.7l. and i'm sure others have done so as well.

but i do believe that spark plug technology is "good enough" for the time being that the cost of any alternative methods are too high for bean counters to allow r&d from the factory. they usually let a university or outside company do that, then buy it from them. its easier that way. keeps the manufacturers from spending time developing something that may not be as cost effective. 20 years ago, this wasn't the case. but now (since no one has any money) they don't do alot of r&d in they way of completely new technology. well, for the most part.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Camshafts are there because they are cheap and reliable. Of course - if the engine makers could they would build 2-stroke engines because they are even cheaper to build and you can get a lot of top power for the cost but they suck when it comes to drivability and fuel economy so...

But don't forget that other valve technologies will also require power to operate, so maybe the camshafts aren't such bad idea after all. The variable timing camshafts are one solution and using a CVT gearbox another.

And for those that thinks that CVT gearboxes sucks - it's because they are tuned for fuel economy, not power. Just look at the FW15C which got banned from ever racing in F1.

However you can also look at what Ducati does - their desmodromic (desdemonic :p) valve technology. They are doing really well, but they require a bit more maintenance than ordinary valve tech.

453747.png

No one thinks CVT's suck. Just that they aren't as fun to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived