LegacyGT.com

light weight crank pulley on Auto ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's worth it. I have one installed along with the NTD throttle controller from panson. It frees up a couple horses, making the car a bit more responsive.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

It's an Agency Power pulley I bought used here on the forums, and it's been on since last Fall. I had it professionally installed by AZPinstalls though.

No complications, although I did notice last month when I was refilling my wiper fluid with the car on, that the nut holding the pulley in place looked like it was loose/wobbling. I turned the car off and tried to tighten it, but it was already as tight as it can be. So I took it back to AZP same day and they, too, noticed the wobbling. The crank pulley and everything else were running true, and they even tried to re-tighten it, and it wouldn't budge any more. So it was concluded that it was like that WITH the stock pulley, only that with the stock pulley, the nut was hidden from view, therefore making it safe to drive.

So, again, no complications or adverse affects since installation. When/if you do have it installed, take note of the nut holding it in place and report back if the nut itself (NOT the crank pulley) looks like it's loose/wobbling. AZPinstalls and I would like to know for future reference/installs :)

good to know. I just installed the NTD on my ride this weekend and Am really liking the consistency it gives me in acceleration.

How long has your pulley been on and what brand ? has it created any complications ?

What's a NTD?

It technically isn't called NTD anymore. Panson on here sells them here is a link to the web page if you PM him he will give you a coupon code which will get you a discounted rate.

http://twptrade.com/autoparts/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=12

Rallysportdirect is local for me so I am gonna snatch up the Kartboy pulley tomorrow. I will report back :)

just discovered the COBB pulley is considerably lighter than the Kartboy however. Kartboys site claims super light pulleys can cause the CE light to come on and I dont want to deal with that. The kartboy weighs in at 2.38lbs and the COBB weighs in at 1.25lbs

What say ye ?

just discovered the COBB pulley is considerably lighter than the Kartboy however. Kartboys site claims super light pulleys can caus the CE light to come on and I dont want to deal with that. The kartboy weighs in at 2.38lbs and the COBB weighs in at 1.25lbs

What say ye ?

My Agency Power pulley is 1.0 lb

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/agency-power-lightweight-crank-pulley-silver.html

No CELs, whatsoever.

so your cutting the wieght in half , does this really effect preformance,not being smart ass just asking

Yes. It makes the throttle more responsive. Think of it this way: the difference between 5lb shoes and 1lb shoes when walking/running (taking away the muscular physiology aspect).

just picked up the COBB. I will be installing it hopefully this weekend. I watched the perrin install of the pulley... Looks like they did it without pulling the radiator which brings much comfort to me :) anyone else run the install without removeing the radiator ?

Is there a difference between MY with regards to Crank Pulley? I have been thinking of picking one up but thought it was hard to select the correct version since some are keyed...?

How do you keep the crank from turning when you loosen and tighten the pulley?

just picked up the COBB. I will be installing it hopefully this weekend. I watched the perrin install of the pulley... Looks like they did it without pulling the radiator which brings much comfort to me :) anyone else run the install without removeing the radiator ?

*Raises hand* I was watching while AZPinstalls were installing mine. All they did was remove the pulley shroud, loosen/remove the belts, and hold the torque converter in place since mine was an AT. To do that, they removed the top air box to gain access to it and used what looked like a 2 ft long flat head screw driver, with the flat head a bit curved (don't know the proper name for it :lol::redface: )

Is there a difference between MY with regards to Crank Pulley? I have been thinking of picking one up but thought it was hard to select the correct version since some are keyed...?

I don't think so. I bought mine used here on the forums from someone with an 05 (or was it an 06?) and it fit like a glove on my 08.

Edit: It was from an 06 5MT. Bought used from Subie2.5i

*Raises hand* I was watching while AZPinstalls were installing mine. All they did was remove the pulley shroud, loosen/remove the belts, and hold the torque converter in place since mine was an AT. To do that, they removed the top air box to gain access to it and used what looked like a 2 ft long flat head screw driver, with the flat head a bit curved (don't know the proper name for it :lol::redface: )

I don't think so. I bought mine used here on the forums from someone with an 05 (or was it an 06?) and it fit like a glove on my 08.

Edit: It was from an 06 5MT. Bought used from Subie2.5i

awe man... Just when I thought I would be able to do it myself... A 3ft long screwdriver and removing the airbox? Idk if it's gonna be a diy for me now. I better call up solid autoworks here in slc and see what they can do for me.

Archived