LegacyGT.com

Brake Upgrade: BBK vs Pads, Rotor, Lines

amp583

I'm trying to upgrade my 08 LGT brakes - i've read the sticky, notes on bbk's, master cylinder thread and im not sure what to do.

Option A (Front and Rear)

- Hawk HPS

- DBA slotted Rotors (fr/rear)

- Goodridge Lines

- Bleed and Motul fluid

Option B (Front and Rear)

- Hawk HPS

- OEM Subaru rotors or other less blinged brand

- Goodridge Lines

- Bleed and Motul fluid

Option C- Wilwood BBK (front only)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brakeswap-com-wilwood-performance-brake-kit-lgt-2-5i-etc-96953.html

- Wilwood Superlite Caliper (4 pot)

- Stainless lines [front&rear]

- unspecified pads

- DBA4000s

- prospeed gs610 fluid

Price doesn't matter right now, i want the best braking for value. I should note, this is a daily driver - no tracking. Likewise, i want to replace the rotors - theres some heavy vibration at 40mph, maybe depositing? im not 100% set on these options, these just seem the best average from what i've read. Im open to any other suggestions or links to them since theres 1000's of posts on this scattered about.

My opinion, based on my preferences since you didn't say why you feel the need to "upgrade":

Hawk HPS pads are fine, not great, but fine.

Get the cheapest rotor you can, for daily driving it's not going to make any difference (it won't for tracking either, but that's another thread). Centrics are ok, as are oem. DBA is overpriced, don't bother. I've got some raybestos rotors that I'm throwing in next.

You don't need new lines unless your lines are in really bad shape. Up to you here... I've been tracking my car with stock lines without an issue.

Motul is probably overkill for a street car. You're probably ok with any decent parts store fluid.

Here's what I've currently got in my car [used for HPDE and street]-

DBA 4000 front rotors [wouldn't buy again, see above]

OEM rears [would use again, it's a wear item -any rotor will do]

HPS front pads [probably wouldn't buy again]

Centric rear pads [iirc, got the cheapest pad from rockauto. Works fine...]

Stock brake lines

Leftover RBF600 fluid (from HPDE; I also change the fluid regularly b/c of racing though)

For comparison, here's my HPDE setup:

Same front rotors, plus a spare set -raybestos

Same rears, plus a spare -raybestos

Hawk DTC-70 front pads, DTC-60 rear

Stock lines

Motul RBF600 fluid

if you don't track, i would recommend against a BBK.

Centric rotors will work fine, slotted rotors for you won't be worth it cuz their purpose is to prevent brake fade that occurs after repetitive hard braking (track days)

Research around for alternatives to hawk HPS. Lots of people like em, some don't. They work pretty well for me.

+1 to lines and fluid.

Have you measured you rotors? Do you have scaring or another issue which would cause you to have to replace your rotors? I've got 75k on my original rotors and I'm pretty sure I could have the rears turned at least.

Bleeding. I'm stepping my bleeding up to once a year. Just bled them and after 18month interval and they were due.

I have hawk HPS on F/R. I think they are a decent pad, probably over priced like most performance pads. I don't think they dust that bad on my LGT, other do. Some have said they have poor cold/wet performance I don't notice a drastic difference. I've never stepped on the brakes and not had what I expected to happen in 3+ years of running them. Stoptech has a pad for our cars now too.

I looked into the pros and cons of a BBK just recently. The truth is that for a street car, at least 90% of your money is just for the bling. Unless your experiencing fade issues, our stock caliper/rotor setups are quite good. Looks like to me that you will most likely lose some braking force going to the wilwood caliper on a stock rotor size, if your talking comparable pads.

Finally, STi MC/BB swap. This looks promising to me. Like changing anything on your brakes you have the chance of having an install issue. Used is pretty cheap, new is ~400.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Of the 3? Option B.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived