LegacyGT.com

Help find me A/S UHP for my Legacy?

Sydneylvr

Have a look at the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. Was a new tire last year. I had a set on my Impreza in 225/45/17 and they were amazing. The V/H rated versions did really well in TireRack's testing, the W didn't fare so well, but the tires the W's were up against are quite a bit more money. TireRack's tests say the W's weren't great in the rain, but I found them excellent, some of the best rain tires I'd driven on. I never ran them in the winter so can't comment on snow traction.

As seems to be customary, TR and CR had opposing views on the W rated Sumitomos. CR rated the 18" PO1 very highly, especially for ride, noise, dry/wet handling, and placed them 2nd overall among 17 UHPAS tires tested, and just ahead of the Pilot Sport AS+. As you say, TR testing of the 17" PO1 was not that complimentary.

The Sumitomos definitely have a price advantage, about $40 cheaper per tire than the PS AS+. What remains to be seen is how they hold up over the long run.

No - noise stayed the same across the entire tread life - didn't notice any change - and it was more than reasonable to start with. I find wind noise much more intrusive.

This has been my experience.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 3 weeks later...
As seems to be customary, TR and CR had opposing views on the W rated Sumitomos. CR rated the 18" PO1 very highly, especially for ride, noise, dry/wet handling, and placed them 2nd overall among 17 UHPAS tires tested, and just ahead of the Pilot Sport AS+. As you say, TR testing of the 17" PO1 was not that complimentary.

The Sumitomos definitely have a price advantage, about $40 cheaper per tire than the PS AS+. What remains to be seen is how they hold up over the long run.

I hadn't seen the CR review of the W tire, but thats what I had and found it excellent. I just put new UHP A/S tires on my specb and was pretty upset that the P01 wasnt available in the size I wanted. I went with Pirelli PZero Nero All-Season and they are excellent as well. I made a separate thread for that review in this forum.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

If you're considering the Primacy, I would also look at the Kumho LX Platinum. I've had them on an IS300 for 55k miles, and they've still got meat left on the bones. Super quiet, and they have a very nice ride on the highway for any tire, let alone a 225 40zr18. The snow traction on my DWS were better for the first year, but the increased noise on the DWS and the fact I've only gotten 28k miles out of them are enough to make me go with the Kumhos next on my Subaru.

FWIW, the Kumhos are only $110 a tire from tirerack. From what I've heard, the Primacy tires are also a great choice.

Thanks so much for all the help! I got the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus on my legacy last week. Took them on the most winding road I know and they handled great, about 15 mph more on each turn than my sucky Yokos that came with the car! They're so quiet and I feel a much better "stick" to the road with these guys. I've been impressed so far, hopefully they'll do just as good this coming winter..

^ Wait until they fully break-in and get all of the mold-tread-release lubrication worked out of the tire. Helloooo nurse! ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived