LegacyGT.com

Help find me A/S UHP for my Legacy?

Sydneylvr

I've been reccomended to get Continental DWS, Hankook v 12, Uniroyal GT, VR Instinct, and the list goes on and on. Yet I still can't decide on a tire because of the half and and bad reviews. Basically here's what I need in my tire..

Size: 205/50R17

All Season, Good for agressive driving, lots of corners. Solid in Snow (we get about 9" each snow), low noise, grips good on those corners and looking for one that has a great tread life.

So if you have a great set on your car or had, etc. Please give me your two cents on why!

Thanks

Hmm, who told you that Hankook V12 is all season?

What car? What rims do you have?

Krzys

PS It is not hard to find bad comments for all season tires. They are the most compromised genre and if you try them in conditions that are not so good or low in tread depth you will have complaints.

..........Good for agressive driving, lots of corners. Solid in Snow (we get about 9" each snow)...............

Want to have your cake and eat it too, huh? :lol:

UHPAS tires give up some winter traction in favor of warm weather dry & wet traction. If deep snow traction is more important than "aggressive driving", you will likely find better winter performers among "standard" all season tires.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus - All I drive for AS tires. On my third set - love this tire and while it may be rated # 2 in TireRack's survey, it's #1 IME.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

@krzyss - You know, I've talked to so many tires places I don't even remember who reccomended it. '09 Legacy 2.5i, stock rims of 17"

@outahere - Haha, I'm trying to.. agressive driving wins over snow traction, we don't have the snow around all year, many times it melts only to return weeks or a week later, but they do plow the roads (though I sometimes have to leave my house before that point)

@sbt - thanks!

~31K on the first set of 17s (w/at least 10K left), took off the second set at ~20-25K to put on the 18" set (17s are now going on my BD) and they have ~30-35K on them and I'm putting them back on for the summer. Don't have my log handy, so miles may be off by 3-5K, but you get the picture, very durable tire. The key is alignment and especially toe-in set at 0* all around and 0* cross-camber.

If you have stock 17x7 wheels you can expand your search to 225/45, 215/45 and 205/50R17.

My top contenders would be:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS (or try older RE960)

Pirelli PZero Nero All Season

We have dual setup for all our cars but we got Goodyear Eagle GT for our daughter (summer only tires were more expensive or not so well rated). They are quite well rated by end users and CR. The weak spot seems to be winter traction (they are asymmetrical, outside part looks quite like summer tire) but we have winter tires for this.

Goodyear F1 Allseason got a lot of bad rep for being noisy.

Krzys

I ran my LGT on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (Before the Pilot Sport Plus came out) and am currently on Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S.........I like the Pirellis but they are pretty well useless in any snow........the Michelins are a far better tire for "All season" and absolutely awesome in rain........the Pirellis are about to be replaced this summer and it will be back to Michelins for sure :)

Yeah - I've ran PNZ, CECs and MPS ASes and the MPSes are by far, the best all-around tire for the money. They're really that good. You pay a bit more, but in the end, you get a lot more.

................low noise, grips good on those corners and looking for one that has a great tread life. ................

Another tire worth looking at, that fits those criteria, and is usually under everyones radar, is the new Michelin Primacy MXM4. Available in V and W speed ratings, and 55,000 mile tread warranty (or 45k for the W rated tire).

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/luxury-performance-touring/primacy-mxm4/tire-details

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus - All I drive for AS tires. On my third set - love this tire and while it may be rated # 2 in TireRack's survey, it's #1 IME.

This.

The Conti's are nice, but having recently driven a car with them, I prefer my Pilot Sports.

I'll definitely get them again, when this set wears out. They'll go on my wifes car too, when the time comes. They aren't cheap, but they are worth the money.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

One of my earlier MPS AS reviews. Post #164. Additional dialogue about my experience with CCEs also follows that post. Dry, Wet, Snow, Ice - love the tire - can't say enough good about it, except MPS AS FTW.

Another tire worth looking at, that fits those criteria, and is usually under everyones radar, is the new Michelin Primacy MXM4. Available in V and W speed ratings, and 55,000 mile tread warranty (or 45k for the W rated tire).

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/luxury-performance-touring/primacy-mxm4/tire-details

Those depend on what you're looking for. The tread life is quite good, but the dry traction is no where near as good as the Pzero Nero's. I had them on my Volvo and when they wore out I switched to PZN's and noticed a significant increase in performance (and tire wear). The MXM4 lasted probably twice as long as the PZNs.

^ Better than DWS - by who's definition of "better?" If you mean Tire Rack's - I disagree with their definition. I find the MPS ASes better than DWS.

Did you notice a big increase in tire noise as the Pilot AS+ tires accumulated miles? That was a common complaint from reviewers at Tirerack.

No - noise stayed the same across the entire tread life - didn't notice any change - and it was more than reasonable to start with. I find wind noise much more intrusive.

You don't want to see snow with those tires. I had a something similar to those on a past car. The pilot mxm's, they were horrible all around. Spun like crazy in the summer, and sucked in the snow. This was fwd though, so maybe they would be a bit better with an AWD vehicle. They are usually quite pricey too.

Those depend on what you're looking for. The tread life is quite good, but the dry traction is no where near as good as the Pzero Nero's. I had them on my Volvo and when they wore out I switched to PZN's and noticed a significant increase in performance (and tire wear). The MXM4 lasted probably twice as long as the PZNs.

You wore out the Primacy MXM4s in less than a year? :eek: Were they OE on the Volvo, because in the aftermarket they were not available until July 2010.

You don't want to see snow with those tires. I had a something similar to those on a past car. The pilot mxm's, they were horrible all around. Spun like crazy in the summer, and sucked in the snow. This was fwd though, so maybe they would be a bit better with an AWD vehicle. They are usually quite pricey too.

The Pilot MXM4s are a 15 year old design. Other than being round and black, not much in common with the Primacy MXM4. ;)

Have a look at the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. Was a new tire last year. I had a set on my Impreza in 225/45/17 and they were amazing. The V/H rated versions did really well in TireRack's testing, the W didn't fare so well, but the tires the W's were up against are quite a bit more money. TireRack's tests say the W's weren't great in the rain, but I found them excellent, some of the best rain tires I'd driven on. I never ran them in the winter so can't comment on snow traction.

Archived