LegacyGT.com

maual tranny fluid

Just wondering what is the best fluid to use in a 1997 subaru leagacy manual transmission. I am new to this vehicle and want to change out the front dif rear dif, tranny, and transfer case fluids. I see some people using 75-90w and some using gl5 oil for the mt. what do I use for the transfer case ?also the diffs? My subie did not come with a manual, please help.

75w-90 is a viscosity and GL-5 describes some of its properties. You want a GL-5 gear oil in 75w-90 weight. Beyond that there are some bennefits of specific oils. I have only used mobile 1 synthetic in my 00 outback and it smoothed out gear shifts as compared to whatever was in there before i changed it. I am going to do the same with my 96 outback. There are also more expensive fluids like royal purple etc but i dont really drive my car all that hard so i couldnt really justify the extra money. There are also less expensive non-synthetic gear oils but i have noticed a big difference in cold weather shifting with synthetics so i think its worth it for them.

75w-90 is a viscosity and GL-5 describes some of its properties. You want a GL-5 gear oil in 75w-90 weight. Beyond that there are some bennefits of specific oils. I have only used mobile 1 synthetic in my 00 outback and it smoothed out gear shifts as compared to whatever was in there before i changed it. I am going to do the same with my 96 outback. There are also more expensive fluids like royal purple etc but i dont really drive my car all that hard so i couldnt really justify the extra money. There are also less expensive non-synthetic gear oils but i have noticed a big difference in cold weather shifting with synthetics so i think its worth it for them.

10 bucks says it had Subaru Extra S in it :lol:

I use Amsoil Products for all my cars;)

Differential Gear Lube: Severe Gear 75W-90

Auto Transmission Fluid: Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid

Manual Transmission Fluid: Severe Gear 75W-90

Yes that's correct Amsoil recommends Severe Gear for Manual Transmissions... Same thing in my Camaro and it really makes for a nice Shift Feel... :wub:

Archived