LegacyGT.com

Oh no's, Got me another one!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after fighting with the damn stuck rubber ring thingy, I put some glue on the boot and stuck it back in, waited a bit and pulled it out ... IT WORKED! lol

Got to my 3rd plug and found a completely wrong plug in there. talk about a colder plug, this plug literally had half the thread length as what's supposed to be there! haha, it wasn't even in the chamber!!!

Well, not it's all done and the engine still vibrates at idle and even when it's revved up. Checked spark and have it on all the plugs and it's not fueling either. Probably something mechanical 'cos I don't have a check engine light on either?

So my question is, after I read through a few posts on engine vibration/etc., some say reset the ECM and some say that the flywheel was probably not torqued down right ... I think I may have don't the latter. I snugged them all up and them went around tightening them all, however I didn't criss-cross them when I did that, just went around in a circle and did all 4. Probably the issue? Will re-torque them tomorrow, but I'd like your opinions on this pls!!!!

So I re-torqued the flywheel/TC bolts and it got much better, there's still a slight bit of vibration/hesitation when first getting on the gas. May have to run some fuel system cleaner through it ... or maybe re-torque them again; third times the charm! lol

This was the first time I had it running for longer than a few minutes and also outside in the daylight. There was a bunch of white smoke coming out the tailpipe and it got me pretty worried that it may be headgaskets. However, after taking the maiden voyage up and down the street and around the neighborhood, it cleared out and there's only a very slight hint of it now. Possibly was coolant in the exhaust (it dumped a bunch of coolant through the exhaust valves when it blew the block) burning off ...hopefully. it's not perfect, but it'll do for now.

• I Donated
The white smoke is probably condensation in the exhaust. It takes awhile to burn off sometimes. If it never goes away, I would do a compression check and a leak down test

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

White smoke has disappeared. Engine still runs a but rough and it's most noticeable at about 1k-1.5k then gets a bit better. Runs awesome at higher revs. Swapped out the coil pack, gonna swap out the wires, and also put in a bottle of injector cleaner. Hope it helps. Also gonna recheck the tc bolts ... again lol

• I Donated
Also gonna recheck the tc bolts ... again lol

How many times have you pulled the engine or trans now? lol.

I suggest putting locktite on the TC bolts. Buy the red shit at the auto parts store

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 2 weeks later...

So I pulled the front end off and installed new cam seals and made sure everything was lined up perfect when I put it back together.

Started her up briefly and theres still a slight vibration! kinda bummed right now :-(

next is to pull the trans and check everything over but first, I will see how it goes when I get everything buttoned up and I can take her out on a test drive around the neighborhood

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest putting locktite on the TC bolts. Buy the red shit at the auto parts store

Don't use red loctite. Just blue, and only a drop of it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the time to go buy a compression tester. All the cylinders posted numbers in the 118-122psi range so I'm guessing a bad cylinder/valve is not an issue here. This vibration is pissing me off cos I need to get her on the road but don't want to before I know everything is good to go and safe.

On another note, I wrecked my company truck on Friday evening so kinda doubled bummed right now.

No when you do a compression test, dont relieve the pressure for like 15-20 sec, if you lose more than a few psi, then you have a compression issue. A lot of people just see the highest pressure and think it is okay.

Compression test is a dynamic test, therefore the gauge works like an analog tire gauge and holds the reading due to the one way check valve. I could unhook it from the tube that threads into the spark plug hole (which has no valves, just a hollow tube) and leave it on the table for an hour and it'll still hold the value! I think you guys are mixing up the leakdown gauge or are using some kind of super leak/compression tester combo gauge. Not trying to be a dick, just stating what I have and how a general compression tester works.

Archived