LegacyGT.com

What IS that blue light on my temp gauge?

I know this may sound crazy, maybe silly to some, but I can't figure out what that small blue light is on my temperature gauge. I can't find it in any manual I've read. Not even the "vacation pictures". Obviously it has to do with the fluid temperature. But which fluid? Oil? Anti? It goes out as the car heats up. I just got a turbo upgrade and I started wondering if it means don't drive until the light goes out indicating the oil is sufficiently warm to protect the turbo when it spools. I don't want to eff up the car. What is this light for?

It is in the manual (not sure what page). It is there to tell you when the car has sufficiently warmed up to the point where you can rev the engine or get into heavy boost. I personally try to stay under 4K RPM until this light is off.

Not sure but I would say it also has to do with emissions. A (typical properly functioning) cars worse point of pollution (and wear) is from cold start-up to warm up. It takes some time for the catalytic converters and O2's to come up to temperature and put the car into closed loop mode. Until then the car is stickily running off the ECU fuel maps. Since the 1990's cars have used 3+ wire heated O2 sensors and are programed to run to reach the closed loop mode ASAP.

Sorry, for the long response. Guess I spent too many days explaining O2 and cars to morons (I mean customers) in a parts store.

E46 BMW's (M3) and Honda s2k's (I think) actually limit how many rpm's you can rev the car to until it's warmed up, E46 is cool because as the temp goes up the limit (redline) goes up until the true redline of the car... love that feature!

That's the no-hooning light. Can't do power slides, burn outs etc until it's out.

I love the new super cars that won't let you use launch control etc until the DIFFs, tranny and other parts are up to temp, not just the coolant. i.e. if you let the engine warm up but the tranny hasn't moved it's not great to do a hard launch as the lube hasn't been spread etc.

Archived