LegacyGT.com

Big wheels help

MilwaukeeMike

Making it short- I ordered 18x9 rota g forces w 245/40/18

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/newshoesat9/LGTfreshrotasfront.jpg

I love them, but there's rub on bumps. I rolled- Right now I'm thinking stiffer suspension.

I'd love to drive my Legacy again. ....not like a grandma ...especially since it's about to go stage 2

Any help would be much appreciated

Camber.....and more camber. Adjustment bolts in the front and a whiteline bushing kit for the back. Check to see how much room you have on the inside.

I'm not having a camber issue. I'm having a suspension travel issue.

What should I do to stiffen up the suspension?

I'm not having a camber issue. I'm having a suspension travel issue.

What should I do to stiffen up the suspension?

You are having a fitment issue. You need to increase negative camber to bring the top of the tire more inboard and thus clear the fender. Reduced suspension travel or compliance is not the solution. Do a search.

You're going to be hard pressed to fit a 9" wheel without coilovers for the increased adjustability and stiffness they offer. Like said above you need the additional negative camber that coilovers with camber plates will give you, especially with a more aggressive wheel/tire choice. What size tires are mounted on those? And are the rotas 45mm offset?

You're going to be hard pressed to fit a 9" wheel without coilovers for the increased adjustability and stiffness they offer. Like said above you need the additional negative camber that coilovers with camber plates will give you, especially with a more aggressive wheel/tire choice. What size tires are mounted on those? And are the rotas 45mm offset?

Coilovers with camber plates are looking like the route for me. Any suggestions on brand or particular model?

It's really not too far of right now. After a little tighter roll on the fenders I think I could be comfortable after a little camber adjustment.

While it's tough to tell from pics, it looks like you have near zero camber right now.

Keep in mind your wheels don't move straight up and down, they move inward also as the suspension compresses. So what you want to do is take one wheel and drive it up on a ramp or curb, and them measure how much you need to move the top of the tire to make it fit. You also need to measure the inside so you don't rub there.

On a 25" outside diameter tire, -1 degree of camber change will get the top of the tire roughly .2-.25" further inboard. So, if you were to increase camber from 0 to about -2, you would pickup half inch of fender clearance. That might be enough.

Here are the front camber bolts you want, they replace the non-eccentric bolt in the strut, so you have two eccentric bolts. They work fine and can be used with coilovers if you later go that route.

http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Eibach-Camber-bolts-02-07-WRX-STI&Category_Code=bc-racing-camber-plates-wrx&Store_Code=ii

The Whiteline KCA399 rear camber kit is pretty much the only reasonably priced option for the rear and may alow you to get another degree or so.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA399

Personally, I would do these before getting coilovers, because they should (could) make the wheels fit, and they are things you should be running with coilovers anyway to get maximum adjustment.

Overall though, you really need a drop with that size wheel, for looks alone. If you were to go with lowering springs, that would not change how the suspension moves - if they clear with the stock springs, they will clear with the lowering springs.

Good luck.

Zero help as usual

Zero brain cells as usual.

Think about it - with that tread width, combined with the wheel width and offset, it's clear that when the suspension travels up, the tire wants to occupy the same space as the fender.

It's clear that there is no amount of fender rolling that will get you to where you can run that wheel tire combo without having parts crash into each other.

You have to make a decision here - people have come up with options such as aggressive negative camber to tuck the top of the tire in...which would effectively reduce your contact patch, increasing inside/uneven tire wear, getting you back to where you were better off running a 225 tire with less camber and better wear.

You can try less width on the wheel, less offset, or custom flares:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/girodisc-widebody-99-gt-limited-157718.html

That, or block the suspension like what people have also said so the tire will never occupy the same space as the fender, at the trade off of no ride compliance.

And tone down the HDR.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

You have to make a decision here - people have come up with options such as aggressive negative camber to tuck the top of the tire in...which would effectively reduce your contact patch, increasing inside/uneven tire wear, getting you back to where you were better off running a 225 tire with less camber and better wear.

Do you suppose a 225 tire would clear?

Nobody runs this size wheel and tire with stock camber - because it won't work. But mainly they increase the camber because of looks and/or performance. If you're running something like this, you are probably doing some hard cornering and want around 2 degrees of camber, and is really not that much. It won't have any noticable negative affect on straight line contract patch or tire wear. Just make sure you run zero toe. It will actually produce more even tire wear and much better grip if you corner hard.

Nobody runs this size wheel and tire with stock camber - because it won't work. But mainly they increase the camber because of looks and/or performance. If you're running something like this, you are probably doing some hard cornering and want around 2 degrees of camber, and is really not that much. It won't have any noticable negative affect on straight line contract patch or tire wear. Just make sure you run zero toe. It will actually produce more even tire wear and much better grip if you corner hard.

Excellent.

I found a set of bc racing or stance gr+ coilovers for about the same price and I believe both have adjustable camber. Suppose either of those might work for me?

18x8 wheel

45mm offset

225/40-18 tire

keep the suspension the way it is, no fender rolling.

Honestly, if I could go back in time and do it all over I would have gotten a 18x8, but I liked the concave of this wheel at 18x9. My bad:rolleyes:

Either way here I am now- so I'm just trying to make the best of it

Excellent.

I found a set of bc racing or stance gr+ coilovers for about the same price and I believe both have adjustable camber. Suppose either of those might work for me?

AFAIK, rear coilovers (or any suspension setup) don't give you a camber adustment, because it's not a strut type suspension in the rear of the legacy. You still need the whiteline bushings or lateral links to adjust rear camber.

The front camber plates will certainly help. I still recommend the camber bolts for the increased adjustablity, but not everyone likes them.

Also, you can optionally take the camber plates on the coilovers and install them diagonally to increase both caster and camber. Then I would definitely recommend the bolts.

what about these ?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/whiteline-subaru-legacy-gt-camber-adjustment-kit.html

It says they're for the rear. I'm running 17x9 et44 wheels and wanted a bit more camber in the back but can't justify $450 for the WL adjustable rear control arms. I'm already on RCE T1's and have my fender rolled.

Here it is on their page and it has a pic of it installed

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA399&page=1

what about these ?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/whiteline-subaru-legacy-gt-camber-adjustment-kit.html

It says they're for the rear. I'm running 17x9 et44 wheels and wanted a bit more camber in the back but can't justify $450 for the WL adjustable rear control arms. I'm already on RCE T1's and have my fender rolled.

Here it is on their page and it has a pic of it installed

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA399&page=1

Yes. Previously mentioned as the only cheap option for the rear, that I'm aware of. I've got a kit on my kitchen table waiting to go in.

Otherwise it's the $$$ camber arms.

Archived