LegacyGT.com

Keyless Entry Remote Programming

Hi..got a remote keyfob for the car...gone through the crazy programming instructions.(open the door..10 times on and off....lights flash...tones chime according to instructions) Then I do the thing entering the numbers twice using the lock button. But when I enter the 8 digit number a second time...instead of hearing a 30 second tone like it says in the instructions...the locks cycle. I've followed the steps over and over...but no luck...the locks cycle and the fob doesn't lock/unlock the car. Any ideas?

Did you remove the key from the ignition before trying to cycle the locks with the new fob after programming? If you got the fob off ebay you might have the same problem I did: wrong model.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah..I think thats the problem too as far as the wrong fob. Do you have a model or good vendor that sold you a good one? Other than buying an entire key which I don't need at a cost of about 70-100 bucks (already have a chip key that works..just need fob).

Thanks for the reply

• 5 months later...
You can program the keyless entry fob pretty easy. Just follow the instructions - exactly.

The chipped key, has to be programed, but there are places other than the dealer that can do it. I found a local hardware store that cut and programed a key for $65.

Anyone know a place in Portland that programs a key other than the dealer??

• 1 month later...

Bumping this one up. I bought a new keyless entry fob for the 07 XT(it arrived with zero fobs) and I cannot get the car into programming mode(the part where the overhead light flashes and you get the tone.) Thinking there might be something wrong with the keyless entry system in that car, I tried to get the 05 XT into programming mode. I know the keyless entry works fine in the 05 as I have 2 fobs working on it now. I could not get it to enter programming mode either.

I followed the instructions as close to the letter as I could - repeatedly. Is there some trick I am missing?

The only thing not clearly defined is where the key is while the door is being opened and closed twice. In hand or in the ignition ready to turn.

TIA

ss

Thanks Akuma, I may have been going to slow rotating the key or it may have been having the key in the ignition when you open and close the door IDK. In either event, I got not just one but both cars into programming mode and programmed the remote twice on both cars and put a fresh battery in it and its still not working. I think the remote itself is bad. Bought it "lightly used" off Ebay. It arrived looking heavily used and since I know the system in the 05 is working(and the 07's is making all the right noises during programming) I gotta guess its just a bad remote.

I am ordering 2 new remotes.

Many thanks for the video.

ss

Yea that was my other guess. The video makes it super easy to program. Are you using teardrop FOB's? or are they All In One keys like the 08+ has? If you are using the Hex All in one key it's possible it's just the FOB can't connect with the car for some of them have different remotes in them even though the keys and everything looks the same. The only way to tell is when you go to replace the battery on the Hex AIO key the backing color one the ones that don't work are Frosted white and the ones that do work are black.

• 4 weeks later...
So I purchased a remote online and I followed the directions to reprogram it to a "T" and the remote won't work. After entering in the 8digit code twice the locks automatically cycled (lock - unlock) but haven't heard that mentioned anywhere what that means. Any ideas?

So I purchased a remote online and I followed the directions to reprogram it to a "T" and the remote won't work. After entering in the 8digit code twice the locks automatically cycled (lock - unlock) but haven't heard that mentioned anywhere what that means. Any ideas?

Well that means it has accepted that remote code but that doesn't mean the remote necessarily works or that its even the correct code for the remote.

When I did exactly what you did, in my case it meant the remote itself was bad. I bought it "used but in excellent condition" off Ebay and went through all the programming to find it would not work even after changing the battery. The seller claimed to test them before shipping but based on the time required to actually do that I severely doubt he did. I ordered new remotes and after programming they worked perfectly.

ss

• 2 weeks later...
subysouth, which remote(s) did you end up buying at the end?

Two of the brand new tear drop style remotes. They are the four button ones with lock/unlock/trunk release on front and red panic button the back. I got them on Ebay as well, IIRC they were 60+shipping.

ss

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may be in a similar situation. Tried enough times with the new code it booted out my old one! Gave the old (working) one a shot and it loaded up fine. Glad I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, hehe.

I do have the older-style teardrop remote. Believe it was restyled slightly because the buttons were too easy to press? Don't think that's the issue though...

• 3 weeks later...

So, I tried to do this with my current keys that needed new batteries and was able to get the locks to lock and unlock upon completion. This should tell me the codes were at least identical if not correct. Anyway no worky,worky.

I took my car to the dealer ,mainly for this issue thinking I was not doing something right. Their response was that the keys could not be programmed and that I needed to spend $400 for two new keys and programming. Yea, right.

So, I bought two new uncut keys off of eBay to th tune of $75. I then checked the batteries on the new keys and 2.9V. I attempted to program one of the new keys and received the same result with the doors locking and unlocking. Still no worky, worky.

So, my question is this and maybe this is not the place (forgive me), but if I have tried 4 keys and the car reacts as though it is programmed. But, then doesn't work, is there something in the car that controls this that could be replaced?

Electrically, the things added include lossol boost gauge and the OEM iPod adapter. I have a basic HID kit with no direct to battery upgrade and some LEDs.

Ideas?

• 7 months later...
jeeze. why do they make it so difficult. Shoulda took a page from GM. Get it into programming mode, hold lock/unlock together for 10 seconds and voila!

Subaru wants you to have a sense of accomplishment if you can actually pull it off.

ss

• 11 months later...

Hi all. My first post, found some pretty useful info here while discovering what a pain it is just trying to get some spare keys...

Recently picked up an 2009 Outback 2.5 that only came with one key. So I bought a couple online and had a local locksmith cut them. Finally got to a dealership 20mi away during business hours only to be told that these keys couldn't be made to work.

Service manager states that the BIU can only store 4 immobilizer codes and that once they're 'full', the BIU has to be replaced (for about $400). So even if I bought a new key from them, they can't just program it and make it work.

Q1: are BIU's really trash after 4 keys are lost?? that seems pretty retarded. from what I've read around here and elsewhere, up to 4 keys can be programmed at any time and that new #'s just push old ones out of memory.

Q2: is the 8 digit code on the circuit board of the remote the same as the immobilizer number or are those two things different?

I was so irritated by the time I got home that I took the 1 good immobilizer chip I have out of it's key, taped it to the column and voila, now all my keys work. Now that I know that works and the car still acts normal, I'll take the column covers off and permanently mount the damn thing near the antenna ring.

I went thru the open/close door, unlock/lock button steps a few times, no dice. batteries are ok. So I still haven't gotten the two new remotes working but at least if the one key gets lost I'm not completely screwed...

I was so irritated by the time I got home that I took the 1 good immobilizer chip I have out of it's key, taped it to the column and voila, now all my keys work. Now that I know that works and the car still acts normal, I'll take the column covers off and permanently mount the damn thing near the antenna ring.

When I took the key for my wife's 2007 to the locksmith, he cloned it into a new spare. It took him about 15 minutes, and ended up costing me something like $70.

Do Subaru dealers program the keys for free if you buy from them?

I have a "naked" Subaru key (looks exactly like an immobilizer key without the black plastic head/transponder) and the "lock" button on my key fob doesn't work so I'm thinking about replacing both.

The difference between a new dealer key fob and a used or non-OEM Ebay key fob is only ~$20 so if I can get it programmed for free at the dealer it's not even worth buying it online.

Do Subaru dealers program the keys for free if you buy from them?

It varies by dealer. I talked to 3 in my area, one quoted $80/key, another $200 to do however many i brought in at one time, the last wasn't going to charge me at all. When they couldn't make it work they offered to wash the car.

Shingle Springs Subaru is the closest place to me (couple hours away) that I can order OEM parts online, they have my key listed for $77. I'm tired of effing about with this so just I ordered one from the local dealership that does free programming but they quoted $159. At least I'll have 1 fully operational spare.

The two keys I bought on ebay were from two different sellers and since neither my or the dealer can get them to work, i'm done buying unknowns.

• 4 weeks later...

Successfully programmed a key fob today. It only took two tries. The first time I messed up on inputting the code. The second time I thought I messed up and just gave up for the time being (it was my lunch break) but then I hit the lock button and it works.

Also, just an FYI, if you need a non-immobilizer key cut, Home Depot will do FOR FREE if you bring the blank. I picked up a non-immobilizer key (looks exactly the same without the chip) for $10 at the dealership and got it cut at Home Depot for $0.00.

• 1 month later...

I ordered a 2009 key from Fred Beans, $80 with shipping.

Called Sierra Subaru, in Monrovia, Ca, they wanted $110 and the car for 3 hours. No thanks.

Went to Puente Hills Subaru and was told they can't do it, they contract an outside guy to do it and he shows up with his van.

Got the contractors number and met him two days later at Sierra Honda, he cut the key, and programmed the transponder in 20 min, and charged $70. I asked about the lock unlock part of the remote, his response was the dealer can do it.

Spent 10 min with the owners book and the help of this thread to finish adding a new key for my XT.

Thanks guys :)

I dunno if anyone said this yet, but search for CovertRussian's build thread. He details the instructions needed, and links a video of some other dude doing it. I used his instructions a couple weeks ago and it was seemless.

Cheers!

Z

I dunno if anyone said this yet, but search for CovertRussian's build thread. He details the instructions needed, and links a video of some other dude doing it. I used his instructions a couple weeks ago and it was seemless.

Cheers!

Z

Lazy Bastard - Here let me help you out!!:p

CovertRussian Key FOB Programming

Archived