LegacyGT.com

Interesting tidbits of SIA and Legacy/OB manufacturing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some points from the SIA Plant. Each engine is vacuum checked as it is assembled. After final ENGINE assembly they are run up to temp on an engine dyno and computer checked for go no-go. After final VEHICLE assembly, the cars go to inspection, where the engine dyno is just one of the many checks. The associate (we are not plant workers) hooks up the vehicle to a computer, and runs through a menu of checks that include driving through all the shift points. 100 mph would be out of bounds for a shift point. In last gear, auto or manual, the cruise control is tested for a stable hold at about 55 to 65 MPH. Several of the cruise cutouts are tested, and the computer records the go no-go condition. The the braking is tested and the dyno stops, and reverse is tested. Then driven off to the under vehicle inspection. We have had some (very few) fires from the exhaust heat at this point.

[quote name='SIAsensei']Some points from the SIA Plant. Each engine is vacuum checked as it is assembled. After final ENGINE assembly they are run up to temp on an engine dyno and computer checked for go no-go. After final VEHICLE assembly, the cars go to inspection, where the engine dyno is just one of the many checks. The associate (we are not plant workers) hooks up the vehicle to a computer, and runs through a menu of checks that include driving through all the shift points. 100 mph would be out of bounds for a shift point. In last gear, auto or manual, the cruise control is tested for a stable hold at about 55 to 65 MPH. Several of the cruise cutouts are tested, and the computer records the go no-go condition. The the braking is tested and the dyno stops, and reverse is tested. Then driven off to the under vehicle inspection. We have had some (very few) fires from the exhaust heat at this point.[/quote] Kickass! More knowledgable people. I assume that you will be another resouce for us to bother :D ? Stick around.. we can use all the resources we can get! Thanks for the info!

[quote name='SIAsensei']Some points from the SIA Plant. Each engine is vacuum checked as it is assembled. After final ENGINE assembly they are run up to temp on an engine dyno and computer checked for go no-go. After final VEHICLE assembly, the cars go to inspection, where the engine dyno is just one of the many checks. The associate (we are not plant workers) hooks up the vehicle to a computer, and runs through a menu of checks that include driving through all the shift points. 100 mph would be out of bounds for a shift point. In last gear, auto or manual, the cruise control is tested for a stable hold at about 55 to 65 MPH. Several of the cruise cutouts are tested, and the computer records the go no-go condition. The the braking is tested and the dyno stops, and reverse is tested. Then driven off to the under vehicle inspection. We have had some (very few) fires from the exhaust heat at this point.[/quote] Thank you for posting. It was a great post. This is exactly the proccess I saw at Fuji Heavy Industries plant in Gunma. I toured this plant with the plant manager in 98. It was a jaw dropping experience. Can you release to us any dyno numbers? Can you tell us how much HP its making to the wheels and to the fly wheel? B4_Maniac

The Legacy and Outback engines for 05 might look the same, but they've undergone extensive modifications. More power, stronger, lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient. The "Summer 2004" edition of "Drive", the magazine from Subaru has a good spread on the changes. We are currently only making 4 cyl. engines here. Do I sound too much like a salesman? :oops: We are shutting down today for the next two weeks to update the plant. :) I'll be back in July with a short list of changes.

[quote name='SIAsensei']We are shutting down today for the next two weeks to update the plant. :) I'll be back in July with a short list of changes.[/quote] Interesting, is this a normal shut down period, vacations, etc.? Do you know what the are changing or updating? This may be when they tweak everything for perfection. Thanks for your inside input.

B4_Maniac, I'll check with the "In Process Controls" (IPC) folks and get some real numbers. I do know that our goal is to exceed what is "the standard" if a 2.5l is susposed to get 155 HP we won't let one get through that dosen't meet that standard. I'm having difficulty getting anyone in "Engine Assembly" to answer. :cry: It is shift change on Friday, and this is everyones last day for 2 weeks. :D "Sampling" may have something, let me check there. Bad day and time. Everyone is quickly leaving. Not to worry, we built ahead for this shutdown. Lots of cars shipping. I'm going to have to strech this thread to July, sorry.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']HEY! Never judge a man by the lenght of his post! Even if it is as short as Drift Monkey's.. :P[/quote] If posts relate to manhood, then people with some of the more extensive posts may be trying to make up for some things... :?:

Legacy-Fan, We take two breaks each year. Two weeks over Christmas/New Years, and two weeks over 4th-of-July. Maintenance and Engineering stay around over these shutdowns to make updates and repairs to the plant. We have been upgrading to a "Flexable (sic) Manufacturing" system. Now that Isuzu is moving out, we need to have more capacity for various and different models. Our immediate plan is for 05 Legacy, Outback and Baja. They are making some improvements in the "Paint" Department. Going to more robots. This is the only update I'm involved with at the moment. I'm sure the "Body Assembly" Department is making some repairs too. No major news here.

Awsome, I have questions about the paint proccess. Subaru paint is notoriously thin, were there any improvements made to increase the quality and thinkness of the paint? Also, in the Gunma plant, assembley workers had workstations and little "Part Robots" that moved from station to station delivering parts. Is that employed at the SIA plant? Man, I can ask questions all day!

SIAsensi, Thanks for information! I knew someone would come through with actual facts. That 100mph on the dyno seemed a little outrageous. I hope you can hang around and answer some questions for us! Ken

B4_Maniac, Out in the "Trim and Final Assembly Plant" there are several motorized robot material delivery units. Last time I checked, the front suspension on the Isuzu was delivered this way. Some of the engine assembly is moved by similar robots. The finished engine is moved from the engine assembly line to the "Run up" booth, and then to the "Hotel" storage area. I'm not sure, now, but the Subaru exhaust assembly was moved this way for a while. Lots of changes this year. I'm securing my work area now, and putting the "Vacation" message on my phone mail. I won't be back until the 12th of July. I'll check the posting from my vacation location so I'll try to keep up.

[quote name='schulztt2']Based on what I have heard about the 2.5i manual gear ratios (5th - 0.78, final 3.9) the engine would be turning 4110 rpm at 100 mph. Not much over 4000.[/quote] But if they are truly checking the max horsepower output on each engine, then they will have to run it up to at least 5600rpm.

• 3 weeks later...
Running the cars on a dyno is a fairly standard practice these days. When I toured the Corvette plant, the engine is first fired on the line (which people on the tour sometimes get to do) and some initial checks are done while the engine idles as it moves down the line. Then they do alignment, then it's off to the dyno. We watched, and they run them pretty hard to do all the finishing checks.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='7stars']No VVT, but it is SOHC. It has small tweaks to bump it up 3hp from the original motor made in '99 for the 2.5 RS. The older 2.5's were DOHC, which made slightly less torque at low rpm's. It's all about potential though.[/quote] If it isn't broke dont fix it.
I love my car ... basically.

[quote name='sebberry']I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking about the amount of time to build a Legacy is only 1.5 hours according to the first post. Has this been confirmed by any other sources? I was watching a TV show on how Windstar vans were made and they said it took 24 hours to assemble... Thanks :)[/QUOTE] that's because fords don't fit together properly. ford employee. [IMG]http://www.sitemason.com/files/b/bdZ2cE/hammer.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='sebberry']I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking about the amount of time to build a Legacy is only 1.5 hours according to the first post. Has this been confirmed by any other sources? I was watching a TV show on how Windstar vans were made and they said it took 24 hours to assemble... Thanks :)[/QUOTE] any new plants built from scratch now will be more efficient even those a few years old. If you notice that Ford and GM are closing plants lately is because they're ineffiicient and to re-tool and would cost too much and it's not feasible to shut down a working plant just to remodel it. While it wouldn't surprise me if it was true but that does seem like a long time.

Wow, I wanna work at that Subie plant. SIAsinsei went on vacation two years ago and has not returned.....? Just found the old post and was looking forward to more info, but it just died Astrohog

[quote name='sebberry']I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking about the amount of time to build a Legacy is only 1.5 hours according to the first post.[/quote] +1 Can someone who toured the SIA plant give us more information on the build time of the Legacy.

Archived