LegacyGT.com

Interesting tidbits of SIA and Legacy/OB manufacturing

I read the SIA plant will start producing Toyotas as well (model(s) not specified). I'm wondering whether Toyota is spending money to increase production capacity or if the factory was that much underutilized.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='FJ60']I read the SIA plant will start producing Toyotas as well (model(s) not specified). I'm wondering whether Toyota is spending money to increase production capacity or if the factory was that much underutilized.[/QUOTE] Camry...... don't ask how I know..... :iam:

[quote name='FJ60']I read the SIA plant will start producing Toyotas as well (model(s) not specified). I'm wondering whether Toyota is spending money to increase production capacity or if the factory was that much underutilized.[/QUOTE] Yep, Toyota is totally re-designing the lines. Good news for the area economically.

[quote name='red beast']that's because fords don't fit together properly. ford employee. [IMG]http://www.sitemason.com/files/b/bdZ2cE/hammer.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE] This has to be the funniest thing I have seen all day! LMAO!

[quote name='outahere']One more reason not to be anal about observing the 4000rpm limit during break in.[/quote] LOL that ol' saw. LOL :lol: Personally, I do take it easy on the first 1k or so, but I'm just paranoid. I don't sleep in the dark, walk under ladders, or get out of bed on friday the 13th, either. LOL

[quote name='B4_Maniac']YES SIR!! I WILL NOT BUY A LEGACY WITH A US MADE ENGINE. PERIOD. I dont' care if I get flamed, I just wont do it.[/quote] No flame, but why? My two US-built subaru's have been simply excellent in terms of build quality - the first one had a us built engine good for 120k mi with no, and I mean no, engine problems whatsoever. Observed proper maintenance, of course.

[quote name='vet']There's no way they build a car - start to finish - in 1.5 hrs. Just think about the paint process alone - numerous coats, baking/curing time, etc.[/QUOTE] +1 .... that has to be a mistake....

Maybe they [i]complete[/i] a car every 1.5 hours?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

[quote name='phoenix96']Maybe they [I]complete[/I] a car every 1.5 hours?[/quote] That would be too slow. I think the confusion is between comparing total build time for the car and the final assembly time. The latter is just putting together all of the components of the car. Total build time is making the entire car. I think :lol:

Concerning the comments on where and how a car is built, I have spent a large amount of time in a prominent German automaker's assembly plant. When you get down to the final assembly level, every automobile in the world is essentially the same, so every final assembly and testing process at every manufacturer is pretty much the same also, methods and equipment not withstanding. Sounds like a blanket statement I know, but think about it for a minute. Where the differences lie is with the procedures in place, components, component assemblies, tolerances, and the most importantly the people putting them together. Then that goes back even further with each individual component. Concerning the dyno sessions, what's the option? Let the customer do the first hard run where most of the problems (if any) are found and make a warranty claim? It's called testing. Unfortunately in a way we all want to be the first human to use just about anything we buy. When it comes right down to it, I'd probably have preferred that Subaru had been the one to put the first 1000 break-in miles on my car then sell it to me fully broken in, tested, and ready to go. [SIZE=2]I can personally guarantee that if you spent an appreciable amount of time in any plant, you would find at least one person (if not several) building your car that would make you say, "There's no way I'd want that guy working on my car." It's like sausage: Everyone likes it, but no one wants to see it being made. The key is to drive what you enjoy and not develop a borderline obsessive mentality that lets your imagination about who or what built, touched, or tested your car affect that. I can't but hey, good luck to you.:icon_bigg [/SIZE]
Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

[quote name='vet']There's no way they build a car - start to finish - in 1.5 hrs. Just think about the paint process alone - numerous coats, baking/curing time, etc.[/quote] Why do you think our paint quality sucks? :lol:

Archived