LegacyGT.com

Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition tested

I had an '89 Mustang GT. Made it to 70,000 miles before my hated for it caused me to trade it in on a new '97 Outback. Twenty-one years of Mustang ownership stopped then and I have never forgiven those phuckers at Ford for that POS.
It is still ugly.

Back in the day the original 5.0 in the Fox body was a pretty hot motor compared to anything offered in the Trans-Camaro.

It is and was a hot motor but its not a good engine. It can be built and modded for cheap but the engine itself is and was weak and the block has a hp limiting design.

Also gotta remember that in the height of original 5.0-ness, no one was making any sorts of real power from a SBC. They either went to the Turbo 3.8 Buick V6 or went BBC. Great SBC's are a relatively recent move, say 12-15 years.

Also gotta remember that in the height of original 5.0-ness, no one was making any sorts of real power from a SBC. They either went to the Turbo 3.8 Buick V6 or went BBC. Great SBC's are a relatively recent move, say 12-15 years.

People have made good power with sbcs for alot longer than that. Yes i agree that BBCs were more sought after back then because bigger is better even more so back then with old tech. But people were making 500hp with small blocks even in the 80s.

As I recall the block couldn't take a lot of power since it wanted to separate or crack in the valley right?

Yeah that is the biggest flaw. But the engine is limited in many ways. Fully built N/A they only churn out 300-330whp 370whp with a huge cam and race gas tuning+ very very high comp ratio. Unless stroked. Some honda 4 cylinders can do that built.

Yeah that is the biggest flaw. But the engine is limited in many ways. Fully built N/A they only churn out 300-330whp 370whp with a huge cam and race gas tuning+ very very high comp ratio. .

I was making well over 300whp with ported stock heads and bolt-ons in 1990... I think your numbers are on the low side.

The stock blocks were the limiting factor back then, and would generally give it up at around 550. Good heads were few, and big $$. Compared to the pre-LS SBCs, they were pretty equivalent in potential, but the SBC usually had a displacement advantage to start with, and good heads were cheaper. Back in the day the 5.0s were pretty potent, but back then better than 1hp/ci was doing pretty good. Things have definitely changed for the better.

I highly doubt you made 300whp with stock ported heads bolts ons and nothing else. maybe if you had a good size cam but with stock valvetrain no way. That would mean you picked up roughly 110-120whp with bolt ons and porting stock heads.

I am just glad there is 1 American company that can still churn out some good cars without help from the gov. Too bad it took them so long to make a good performance engine. They had only crap from 1975-2003.

Ford took help from the government, as do all auto manufacturers. The Prius is almost as nationalized as Boeing or an Airbus.

Single pattern cam 224*@.050/ .480 lift, nothing extreme.

Doubt all you want.

Still cammed, anytime you crack the valve covers and start upgrading the valve train its not really considered a bolt on. You should have said cammed, ported heads, bolt ons now with that and a good tune 300whp is possible. but as I said after that point what is left to do on a N/A 5.0? New pistons mill head for a little high comp ratio and thats about it do 15-20more whp which would put a built n/a 5.0 at 320whp. With good heads and a big cam 370ishwhp. Still some of the built honda engines can hit 300-340whp N/A.

I would consider a cam that works with a completely stock valve train a bolt-on...

BTW, there was no such thing as a "tune" at the time... Superchips was the outside edge of the envelope, and they would do a custom chip for you, but that was about it.

I don't remember seeing any 300whp N/A Hondas in 1990?? In fact, it was a rarity to see one go faster than 15.0 w/o forced induction or N2O, and that was a really fast one. Obviously, things have changed, but then, how driveable is that 300whp Honda going to be?

I would consider a cam that works with a completely stock valve train a bolt-on...

BTW, there was no such thing as a "tune" at the time... Superchips was the outside edge of the envelope, and they would do a custom chip for you, but that was about it.

I don't remember seeing any 300whp N/A Hondas in 1990?? In fact, it was a rarity to see one go faster than 15.0 w/o forced induction or N2O, and that was a really fast one. Obviously, things have changed, but then, how driveable is that 300whp Honda going to be?

I'll agree with all of this. Car guys circa that era coudnt stand the fuel injection, because it took all the tune-ability away. They just didnt have the tech at the time, and the Superchips guys were just about all anyone had, aside from a few chip places that gave very varied results.

And I dont even remember turbo'ed/SC'ed Hondas until say 94-ish. Heck I had a K&N filter, a Dynomax muffler, and a set of 8.5mm wires on my 93 Civic, and thats just about all you could get aside from a header.

Im not saying there were turbo/sced hondas around back then, i dont think i ever brought up fi honda engines. I am just saying its sad when a 5.0 v8 can only put as much power down as a n/a 2.0/2.2liter. I am not saying the 5.0 doesnt have its place in easy/cheap to build engine but it is nothing special. It cannot make good amounts of power without fi and even then it is limited by design.

I agree with what you are saying, but my point was is that in the 1985-1993 range or so, a 5.0 putting 200-250hp to the rear wheel was just about as good as you could get for a regular hot street car. It's paltry compared to what real performance is today, not to mention your average V6 Camry or Accord. Sure there were better build 5.0's, 347 stokers, and the ever present SBC, but tuners just had not figured out anything near what they know today. We live in a very HP friendly time now.

Hondas RULE!!!!!!!

I thought Spec Bs rule? :confused:

I agree with what you are saying, but my point was is that in the 1985-1993 range or so, a 5.0 putting 200-250hp to the rear wheel was just about as good as you could get for a regular hot street car. It's paltry compared to what real performance is today, not to mention your average V6 Camry or Accord. Sure there were better build 5.0's, 347 stokers, and the ever present SBC, but tuners just had not figured out anything near what they know today. We live in a very HP friendly time now.

considering how anemic the old 5.0s were they were still relatively powerful at the time yet there are base model 4 cylinders that are approaching them in power now. Then on the modification front, fuel injection (or, at least, well done fuel injection) being the norm as well as not being able to throw a stone without it hitting a turbocharged car. Now 400HP is the norm for sports cars, whereas that was all but unheard of 2 decades ago and an absolute scarcity a decade ago.

Archived