LegacyGT.com

Engine flush

We just bought car and we don't know who/when/what type of oil was used. Also both OCV sensors turned on CEL

I don't mind doing preventive maintenance on cars especially when I don't know history on them. I will usually change all the fluids on my cars when I buy them.

If you want to clean the engine, just buy some good full synthetic oil and run it. Drive 100 miles and check the oil, see how clean it looks. If it's dirty, change the filter. If not, check it at 300-500 miles again. If the engine is clean inside you won't see much change in the oil color, if it goes dark fast, then replace the filter. I'd keep a white paper towel with a dab of the oil on it in a zip lock bag to compare. 2 things to check, color and smell. If the oil goes dark and smells burned, you have a sludge build up and it may take a complete oil change after 500-1000 miles.

Never, ever run engine flush in a turbo car. You will hurt the bearings in the turbo, cleaners have zero lubricating properties. A turbo can spin 50,000+ rpm and without a good lube, they don't last long.

Which engine flush was that ?

I have used Gunk in mine a number of times. Over the 6 years I've owned it. I never drive the car with it, just let it idle for 5 minutes. Then change the oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Which engine flush was that ?

I have used Gunk in mine a number of times. Over the 6 years I've owned it. I never drive the car with it, just let it idle for 5 minutes. Then change the oil.

That's the one I thought about using. I just wanted to thin out oil and get any crud from engine. I wasn't going to drive it. However after reading directions on the can I don't think I'll do that. I didn't think it would enter turbo at idle, or does it still push oil through turbo at idle?

If I understand the oil system correctly. The oil pump is for pumping the oil through the entire oil system.

I haven't flushed mine for a while may be a year. The other week I got the P0011 and P0021 codes.

Few day's later the Tranny began making lots of noise, I parked the car Mar 1st and haven't driven it since.

May be I should have not listened to this forum and kept flushing the engine a couple of times a year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I didn't think it would enter turbo at idle, or does it still push oil through turbo at idle?

If I understand the oil system correctly. The oil pump is for pumping the oil through the entire oil system.

Now you people are scaring me :lol:

Oil is circulated through the entire system by the oil pump AT ALL TIMES while the engine is running.

Here is the deal; If you have sludge or deposits your best to leave them where they are. If you flush it, your chancing stirring up all that crap and once that stuff breaks loose it winds up in the oil screen, blocks drain passages and sends this contamination throughout the engine. If you have a sludge problem do not try and clean it out, just run good oil and change it frequently AND CROSS YOUR FINGERS.

I've had two vehicles in the past year that the local Valvoline quick lube had done engine flushes. One had a COMPLETLY plugged oil screen and oil press was not even a problem before the flush. The second had ticky lash adjusters after the flush.

^ I can understand what your saying about flushing a engine that has never been flushed and you don't know how it was driven. I'm the only owner of my car.

I would normally flush mine 2-3 times a year. I drive the car hard and rev the engine to redline a lot. Mine has seen other abuse too, (tuning, or lack there of) which is most likely why it uses oil.

I'm pretty sure there is no sludge in my engine. I'll know in a couple month's if I decide to get a new short block.

FWIW, I would flush the engine in my 92 Civic Si on a regular basis. When we pulled it apart at 208,000 miles the inside liked pretty good, no sludge.

Archived