LegacyGT.com

Would you still buy a Subaru if you didn't need AWD?

We have gone waaaay off topic. Bottom line. If subaru actually paid their design studio team instead of apparently using interns, I would consider buying one. Drivetrain and engines are great. Interior materials and exterior/interior design not somuch.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get back on topic... Subaru has all the parts in their bin to bring a competive sports sedan/wagon to the states again. H6, 5EAT/MT, and RWD. Their engines are already setup longitudinal for RWD, just leave off the front diff and you have the makings of a bargain 3-series fighter and have power and RWD advantage over the Acura TSX sport wagon. Improved fuel economy and weight distribution + power to compete with the 328i and smoke the Acura.

I know that all the wussy American soccer moms think they "need AWD cause it snows", but a bargain RWD sports sedan would put Subaru in a unique position again and bring back some of that Subaru weirdness mojo. Of course, America has spoken as the bloated Outback is selling like hot cakes, but can Subaru just throw some of their old customers a bone?

To get back on topic... Subaru has all the parts in their bin to bring a competive sports sedan/wagon to the states again. H6, 5EAT/MT, and RWD. Their engines are already setup longitudinal for RWD, just leave off the front diff and you have the makings of a bargain 3-series fighter and have power and RWD advantage over the Acura TSX sport wagon. Improved fuel economy and weight distribution + power to compete with the 328i and smoke the Acura.

I know that all the wussy American soccer moms think they "need AWD cause it snows", but a bargain RWD sports sedan would put Subaru in a unique position again and bring back some of that Subaru weirdness mojo. Of course, America has spoken as the bloated Outback is selling like hot cakes, but can Subaru just throw some of their old customers a bone?

+1. I agree TOTALLY. Rear wheel drive turbo 265hp coupe or sedan. NICE:icon_mrgr

Funny thing is, that's pretty much what I would want in my next wagon -- except for the RWD part. I want AWD. Even if I bought a BMW I'd get AWD.

Or maybe I'll just buy a Prius.

I love my AWD, but having owned RWD sports cars, they're a lot of fun. If you live in a warm climate, RWD turbo charged is a very nice set up. There's a reason why the Supra, RX-7, 240SX and 300ZX were so popular and still are in motorsports. All RWD turbo charged.

I love my AWD, but having owned RWD sports cars, they're a lot of fun. If you live in a warm climate, RWD turbo charged is a very nice set up. There's a reason why the Supra, RX-7, 240SX and 300ZX were so popular and still are in motorsports. All RWD turbo charged.

The 240 was never turbocharged in the US, was it?

The rear suspension in a Subaru is NOT well set up for RWD. It takes a LOT of effort to keep a high power RWD Subaru pointed in the right direction. But BOY is it a hoot.

I think a Legacy could easily be put together as a GT monster. Take a sedan, add 3.6R, add two turbos, subtract 5EAT, add 6MT, sprinkle with high tech bits and call it good.

If I could buy a GTR sedan, I would.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think a Legacy could easily be put together as a GT monster. Take a sedan, add 3.6R, add two turbos, subtract 5EAT, add 6MT, sprinkle with high tech bits and call it good.

Right after I build my FFR Roadster, I'm going to work on doing this to a Legacy.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The rear suspension in a Subaru is NOT well set up for RWD. It takes a LOT of effort to keep a high power RWD Subaru pointed in the right direction. But BOY is it a hoot.

If I could buy a GTR sedan, I would.

No, 240's were not turbo'd here, at least not from Nissan. Just take a Spec B. Kill the front diff and redo the suspension. Stock subie suspensions SUCK. Even with the inverted Bilsteins, the Spec B is no handling champ. Not to mention our swaybars are woefully inept. We don't need to change the power figures. That's what our aftermarket is for, but if you sold it with the VF52, it would be pretty good right out the box. I would like Subaru to do something different. They need a coupe. Everything they sell has 4 doors. Bring back the two door. The 22B was sick. Give us a nice coupe. Rear wheel drive and turbo'd of course. C'mon Subaru. You need to diversify!!

It's not the struts. It the geometry. The whole back of the car wants to come apart on you, and the rear is really only interested in swapping places with the front. The car is EXTREMELY tail happy, and EXTREMELY light when you have RWD and power. On the flip side, it was the first car I had done a truly proper burnout in, and it was the first car I learned about power sliding with.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/l_7207ef3e222b0c2669d4f9ce9079a689.jpg

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's not the struts. It the geometry. The whole back of the car wants to come apart on you, and the rear is really only interested in swapping places with the front. The car is EXTREMELY tail happy, and EXTREMELY light when you have RWD and power. On the flip side, it was the first car I had done a truly proper burnout in, and it was the first car I learned about power sliding with.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/l_7207ef3e222b0c2669d4f9ce9079a689.jpg

Nice 1st gen.

• I Donated

Well, there are plenty of 240s running around with SR20DETs... but no, they didn't come that way from the factory.

I would like Subaru to do something different. They need a coupe. Everything they sell has 4 doors. Bring back the two door. The 22B was sick. Give us a nice coupe. Rear wheel drive and turbo'd of course. C'mon Subaru. You need to diversify!!

Funny thing, the Toyobaru sounds like exactly what you're looking for. ;)

Nice 1st gen.

That looks, well, strange coming from a Subaru. Cool pic though.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I wanted and still want a BMW 3 series sedan. When we move to Austin, TX in a few years I will ditch the Subaru and Buy one of those. I bought the Subaru because the wife wanted something with 4 wheel or all wheel drive. Since I refuse to own an SUV and I'm not a truck guy this was the best compromise. Don't get me wrong, i love my Subaru, but I really want a Bimmer.

I wanted and still want a BMW 3 series sedan. When we move to Austin, TX in a few years I will ditch the Subaru and Buy one of those. I bought the Subaru because the wife wanted something with 4 wheel or all wheel drive. Since I refuse to own an SUV and I'm not a truck guy this was the best compromise. Don't get me wrong, i love my Subaru, but I really want a Bimmer.

Just get a set of rims with winter tires, problem solved. AWD is no substitute for the proper tires.

• I Donated
Sorry. This point has already been disputed time & time again. And car with all seasons is better than rear wheel with snow tires any day.

Have you even READ the rest of the thread? If so, you would see how very wrong you are.

Sorry. This point has already been disputed time & time again. And car with all seasons is better than rear wheel with snow tires any day.

:spin: Really? So tell me how your AWD with snow tires out corners and our brakes a RWD car with snow tires...

I've actually driven RWD, FWD and AWD vehicles with snow tires and all-season tires. The snow tire 2WD vehicles always handled better in the snow than the AWD vehicle with all seasons. Sure you can't hop on the gas as hard to accelerate in a 2WD vehicle, even with snow tires, but they absolutely, positively corner and stop better than anything with all seasons. There's just no denying that tires are the ultimate difference, I mean c'mon, use your head and think about it for a second: what is the only contact patch with the road.... your tires. When you're off the gas trying to stop or take a corner, how does your AWD help you?

The one case where I can see AWD helping in a corner is if you need to induce some oversteer to try and correct understeer, but this can be done in a RWD vehicle as well. Both RWD and AWD can develop lift-throttle oversteer and can break the back end loose with some extra throttle, so the difference is still miniscule.

All wheel drive is a nice convenience at the end of the day, and that's all it boils down to. Having an AWD car with all-season tires seems pretty silly to me if you live in an area with snow. It shouldn't matter if you're FWD, RWD or AWD, you should be using snow tires if you live in snowy climate.

Archived